Since the first person over the threshold this year was a blonde woman, we missed the first footing. But HS, the dark haired man arriving a bit late with food and drink, was close enough.
For people unfamiliar with first footing, it's a tradition in the North of England where I'm from. It brings luck if the first person over the threshold in the New Year is a dark haired man bringing fuel, food and drink.
Usually men would leave their houses before midnight, with the items - piece of coal, bottle of Scotch, slice of cake -- and chat in the street until they heard the ships' sirens and bells and, locally, pans beaten with spoons, sounding in the New Year.
Then they'd be welcomed in with a glass of something good and a kiss from the lady of the house. Local legend has it that it had to be a dark haired man, not a Viking red -blond, this being the territory where Vikings raided. Not inviting one in!
We enjoyed our belated observance as a good start.
Speaking of cardboard as an art material, here's a wall piece I made from the insert in a Misfits grocery box
And the weaving is progressing while I listen to A Pocketful of Rye.
This determined enjoyment and making is protest against the regime.
Happy day everyone, make your protests heard by your MOCS.





I never knew about the tradition. A dark-haired man, I thought, that’s me! Then I realized, not anymore! The cardboard art is wonderful. The regime is frightening.
ReplyDeleteMy dad didn't have much but he got a waiver! I like cardboard as a material to work with, not too hard on the hands
DeleteYou added a bit more info for me about first footing, such as taking items out, and the reason for the dark hair. It wasn’t a tradition in our house, but Sue’s dad had to perform the task in theirs when the grandparents were still alive. After they passed, it was no longer observed.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a good first-footing stand-in by HS.
ReplyDeleteI like a more simple tradition (? joke?) of lifting ones left foot so you start out the year on your right foot. Or something like that. But your dark haired man with fuel, food and drink is definitely more practical!
ReplyDeleteFirst footing is such an interesting tradition! I love such customs! Thank you for sharing, Boud!
ReplyDeleteI wonder how Vikings feel about that tradition.
ReplyDeleteFamilies like mine are descended partly from Viking rape, so I can't say it worries me a lot.
DeleteI had heard of first footing of course but in this household we'll likely have to wait months for a male to darken our doorstep. I had fully intended to observe the idea of opening the outside door to let the old year out and the new one in, but went to bed and forgot all about it. Somehow I doubt that the fact that our bedroom window is always open a crack would count, but in my world it does...so there.
ReplyDeleteRC doesn't count?
DeleteWell, he's male - but doesn't have any hair left so no 'dark-haired man' in that equation!
DeleteIf he used to be dark haired, he qualifies.
DeleteI've never heard of this tradition. The English half of my heritage has been here for so long there is no tradition left. We were all dark haired so that wouldn't have been a problem!
ReplyDeleteUnless you were from the North you probably wouldn't have observed it anyway.
DeleteFunny how we humans love our traditions and superstitions and how they differ from one culture to the next, each as powerful and real as the next, I imagine.
ReplyDeleteI think more significance used to be attached to first footing when I was young. Dark haired men were invited to first foot houses where there weren't any!
DeleteIf you go with first footing in my house, the first over my threshold was a bald man. Wonder what is to be made of that?
ReplyDeleteHere's where it gets technical: what color hair did he have before he didn't? If dark, fine. If not, oh dear. Proceed with caution!
DeleteI've never heard of first footing. You gotta love a folk tradition that harkens all the way back to hatred for the Vikings!
ReplyDeleteThere's no hatred. There's a deep seated fear among people whose ancestors were raped and impoverished, though. And acknowledging it for just few minutes once a year doesn't seem excessive!
DeleteFirst footing was important here in southern part of NZ when I was a child but we all went out en masse to call on those who couldn't get out to celebrate with the rest of the community.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a nice community adaptation of the tradition.
DeleteI had heard of first footings before but didn't know the details. Thanks for clearing it all up. I love that you took cardboard to create with. Plus I always love seeing your weaving. Check out my blog today, you might be interested. Have a very nice day.
ReplyDeleteI'll check, thank you.
DeleteI think is a tradition in Newfoundland, a part of Canada that has strong Irish roots. The first man of our threshold on New Year's Day would have been the man himself, with his gray hair.
ReplyDeleteThe weaving is turning out well. It's still cold here so I'm started my spring cleaning early and had a hard go at my kitchen yesterday. Very satisfying.
If his hair was dark before, you're good!
DeleteHi Boud, to answer your question on my post today about the red teapot, my sister advises that she bought the teapot from BBC Canada's online retail website and that it was made by the same British company that makes the famous "Brown Betty" teapots.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! I thought it looked like red version of a Brown Betty. They make great tea. I must explore this!
DeleteInteresting traditions. Most of my ancestors were Eastern European, but I also have a bit or Irish in me. I'll have to do some research and see if any of them ever had to worry about Vikings.
ReplyDeleteI'll be interested to know more. If their place of origin has Norse place names, that's a marker. I grew up with Norse place names and words, just in everyday language.
DeleteThe cardboard panel is lovely. The weaving is looking good.
ReplyDeleteThank you. Cardboard is a good art material.
DeleteYour cardboard art is a wonder! I think you described First Footing last year as well, and it was the first time I’d heard about it. The red-headed friend of one of my kids is who first crossed our threshold on Jan 1 (must squeeze all moments out of school break and have a friend over first thing that day, they said!), so I supposed were are in for a heap of trouble?
ReplyDeleteOh dear, a redhead! Handsome Partner was red, so he couldn't first foot.
Delete