I took the cotton out of the dye bath this morning, figuring 24 hours was going to be as much take up as it would get.
As you see, pink with some areas whitish, but good enough. Now it's drying and I'll check around for what to use for the basket structure. I have a couple of ideas.
I tried these grasses but decided they were too wild for the cotton, so they've got their own place now
And I'll continue looking and thinking.
Misfits is delayed by weather, hence Friday not Thursday.
But I have food in the house to deal with delays.
And Ronald showed up as scheduled, and seized the opportunity of an open parking slot all shoveled out, to stage his van and make the next few deliveries easier. Mostly he's stuck out in the street, no open spots. I noticed he was keeping the bananas with him in the cab, not freezing in the loading area, so that's appreciated in this zero f weather.
Canned goods for the food pantry, green beans because it's a long time since I had any, broccoli because it's the other green I like, a change from spinach, grated cheese because no block Cheddar available, I don't like the additive that stops it clumping, but once won't hurt.
Scallions for an interesting thing I plan with the tofu and ginger, diced tomatoes with no salt, shared with the food pantry, blackberries as a change from blueberries, apples for daily mid morning snack.
Shrimp, it's a long time again, and I may make mayo, long time there, too, to go with shrimp. My best shrimp salad is just shrimp and homemade mayo, with buttered whole wheat. I don't get carried away!
So that's the food today, despite missing items, still a nice selection for the week and more.
About my recent slump. I realize now since I looked at the calendar, that it was the anniversary of my favorite brother's death in combat, age 20.
I was six, so long ago, but my parents never recovered, and even the return of my other two brothers from combat didn't make a big difference. I think your body remembers trauma, maybe forever. That day past, my energy is better.
Happy day everyone, hoping and working for better days for us all.












Oh, no wonder you were feeling down. That's a sad memory.
ReplyDeleteToday we are moving my older brother to a care facility. He is only 1 year older than I am but he has Alzheimer's and needs more assistance than my SiL can do. It's tough to go through but we have been through this before with my Dad so it's deja vu all over again...
Sad day for you all. I hope your sister in law can get some relief once he's safe.
DeleteGood to have new food stuff to work with, even with plenty to get you through the next storm. I went to our local grocery after lunch and everyone !! was there. Not too many bare shelves, but then I wanted butter and eggs...and they even had both on sale prices! So that afforded me some chocolate croissants. There weren't any on display, but I asked if they had any, and they made up a 4 pack for me. Now my life is on high celebration, especially since I also bought 2 kinds of flour, in case I get the urge to bake bread.
ReplyDeleteLook out for those urges, could be hazardous.
DeleteI'm sorry to read about your brother. 20. Wow. Just a baby. So sorry.
ReplyDeleteAlso a fighter pilot
DeleteAnyone dying at 20 is tragic. Just so sad.
DeleteOur bodies do remember. Take care.
ReplyDeleteSo true.
DeleteSo pleased you’re doing better. It’s been nearly 45 years since my sister died and I find as time passes, I’m not consciously aware of the anniversaries, but still crash and only realize why later. My heart is with you.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's odd that the mind sort of forgets but the body doesn't. You get it.
DeleteI’m like you. I’ll feel down and out of sorts and then realise it’s someone’s anniversary. I too lost my brother, to suicide unfortunately. And I always get down around that time I’m glad your keeping busy.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. Suicide is particularly hard to deal with, so many emotions as well as grief.
DeleteI don't think I had heard about losing your brother - not something I guess Irene ever talked about. I'm sorry.
ReplyDeleteWe picked up our grocery order today (not delivered to our door unfortunately)....braved the cold in order to do so. Now we should be able to stay indoors where it's warm for the next few days.
Good planning to get stocked up before the weekend. Irene used to refuse to address hard isssues. Her way of coping I suppose.
DeleteI'm sorry about your brother. Three siblings off to the same war? Wow. If you are up for saying anything about your brother, such as what he was like or how he made you feel, I'm interested. I also entirely understand if you'd rather not.
ReplyDeleteI have a couple of memories and stories to share, so I will. He was a nice guy.
DeleteIt's nice there are food delivery services out there for those who don't drive. Sounds like you have a special one.
ReplyDeleteMemories ... yes.
I haven't been in a store since 2020! Long before I stopped driving. But yes, food delivery helped that decision.
DeleteIt probably helps to connect one’s mood (for want of a better word) with a reason. Have a good week with your groceries and projects, not that the week is here yet but you know …
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree that if you find a a reason for feeling low, it helps resolve it.
DeleteSome things your body never forgets. That brother must have been special indeed!
ReplyDeleteMy mother told me that of all the six sibs, he was the one who paid attention to me, pointed out how tiny my hands were -- he was a six foot fourteen year old, so much bigger. I had a connection with him I didnt with the others, try as I might.
DeleteLovely colour on your dyed cotton. You're right, the trauma of loss is always waiting to surface.
ReplyDeleteThe color came out well and the onion smell soon evaporated.
DeleteThe red onion dye came out well. Glad Ronald and his truck made it despite the cold. An 80 year old loss still reverberates; glad you're rebounding, but remember to fill your own cup so you can continue to fill others'.
ReplyDeleteChris from Boise
Good reminder about self care, thank you.
DeleteReading and watching war footage very often, as we do in this house, I am constantly amazed that anyone survived the carnage on land, sea, in the air. Death in such circumstances leaves an indelible mark.
ReplyDeleteI don't watch any of that kind of footage. Even people who came home comparatively able bodied were rarely unharmed mentally.
DeleteI just wrote about this ability of the body to remember what our conscious minds do not. It is a real and true thing although every time it happens to me I am still a little shocked.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you got your Misfits box! And I love your pink cotton. What a lovely shade.
Seeing the pink van swing around to my house makes things feel right each week!
DeleteOh, yes. Your body remembers trauma. It makes sense you felt down like you did.
ReplyDeleteYes, eventually when I realized it, it did make sense.
DeleteDefinitely your body remembers trauma. Sorry to hear about your parents never getting over it. I'm glad you got your Misfits box. May I ask, is this the only food shopping you do? The colors of your died cotton turned out beautifully. Have a lovely day today.
ReplyDeleteThe only other food I buy is powdered milk and tea. Aside from them, this is my weekly food shop. I like to cook from ingredients rather than buy readymade. I do buy bread these days, but still make it once in a while.
DeleteTrauma is trauma. I don't think it ever goes away, we just learn how to cope with it. You do pretty well with your misfits. I'm not very adventurous with my eating, so think the misfits might not work very well for me.
ReplyDeleteSandy's Space
The misfits you're seeing is just my choice. It's a huge supermarket online where you can get practically anything. I don't eat meat, rarely poultry, prepared foods such as cereals, condiments etc, so you don't see them here, but they're available. It's so convenient for me to get food delivered.
DeleteYes, the body remembers, as Ms Moon mentioned several posts back. Isn't it a joy to get groceries delivered? Dave gets almost everything via delivery here.
ReplyDeleteI can't even think about fussing around shops now. What a waste of time and energy. Better things to do. That said, some people like it, a social contact of sorts. For me it's just a transaction.
Delete