New Year's Day I sliced up the banana bread and delivered to several neighbors to wish them a happy New Year.
It was bitterly cold and windy with a skim of snow and I tried my footing to see if it t was slippery. Not as long as I proceeded with caution.
Mark my footsteps, good my page tread thou in them boldly.
Happy neighbors, and one came over later with split pea soup, yay. She says it's gone very thick which made me wonder if I could convert it into pease pudding, which I love. With the last of the ham. Hmm.
Making plans, meaning plans about making, involve that nice piece of cardboard and small amounts of handspun yarn. And weaving a seamless pocket type potholder.
Thereby using up handspun, upcycling the cardboard as a loom, and avoiding all the small burns I get on the back of my hand from the upper stove shelf.
You see the openings at the edge. I may insert skewers to maintain an evenly spaced warp. I haven't measured but it's probably 6-8 epi.
This will be fitted into online games and reading Griffiths, Delderfield, and listening to Boland. It's all go.
Happy day everyone, White rabbits and a happy New Year. And Freecycle, the gift that keeps on giving







Still Jan 1 here, so I'll add to yesterday's commenters: Happy New Year! Here's to good trouble and no disasters in the Boud family! I celebrated by halving a navel orange and taking another run at a 'bergamot box'. Successful turning the halves inside out this time. Here's to making, to art, and to flowers! Chris from Boise
ReplyDeleteGood on the bergamot front! It's tricky turning them inside out, so I'm glad this one worked. I wonder if oranges are easier than lemons. Anyway I hope for good results for you.
DeleteI remember years ago when that green "cabbage" crockery was everywhere, it was really popular for almost a year. Now I don't know anyone who still has any.
ReplyDeleteThe part I liked was the hilarious spelling! Seemed so suitable for the vegetable.
DeleteA revelation: Pease porridge hot is made with peas! The things I learn! (The things I don’t know.) Anyway, I can’t stand pea soup or mushy peas, so doubt I would like pease porridge. Thou shalt find the winter’s rage freeze thy blood less coldly.
ReplyDeleteYou might like pease pudding. It's solid slices fried in butter, nothing soupy or mushy ( whatever that is, never heard of them growing up in the UK, supposedly their origin). Anyway it's poor man's nutrition, like all pulse foods.
DeleteI laughed at the "large green salad bowel." The mind reels.
ReplyDeleteI had to look up the line about "mark my footsteps" -- I knew it was from something but wasn't sure what! Google set me straight.
Like Mitchell, I also never quite knew what pease porridge was. (Is pease porridge the same as pease pudding?) I know it only from the nursery rhyme.
No idea what pease porridge is. Pease pudding is the food of my Northern people. Maybe some Londoner can tell us what this porridge is! Snark.
DeleteThe Ukrainian word for cabbage is one of the few I know in that language, thanks to the Rare One. There's nothing like kapusta farts!
ReplyDeleteThere ya go!
DeleteOh those green fake leaf bowls! Interesting discussion about peas and pease. I remember a hand game with another girl to the saying of pease porridge. Clapping was always fun somehow.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if the game was an old one? Often kids games are.
DeleteYour handspun yarn looks beautiful... have fun with this project.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year from Viola!
Thank you Viola, I will, and a Happy New Year to you.
DeleteI wonder if I should put "Cabbage Bowel" on my list of possible pottery projects.
ReplyDeletePeas and ham just do merge in a very fine way, don't they?
I can see the coverage: retired nurse renders colon-in-cabbage pottery. Medical knowledge -- meet art!
DeleteMy medical knowledge art would probably be more like a baby's head emerging from a mother. Now THAT would be an interesting bowl.
DeleteThe only thing I know about pease porridge is "Pease porridge hot. Pease porridge cold. Pease porridge in the pot nine days old. Some like it hot. Some like it cold. Some like it in the pot nine days old"!
ReplyDeleteThe nine days old is good -- it goes more firm and can fry better after a few days. Likewise, hot or cold, it has fans. So thinks more of a recipe than you might think.
DeleteI have banana bread in the refrigerator to take to a church brunch on Sunday. Bananas go ripe so fast that husband says I just buy them to make banana bread. Not true because we like to eat them too.
ReplyDeleteBanana bread is a good reason to buy them!
DeleteSalad bowel - too funny! My mother had a leaf bowl in a longish narrow shape which she always used for celery and never anything else.
ReplyDeleteThis happens -- a bowl gets designated then it's illegal to use it any other way. No putting fresh fruit into the designated glass trifle dish!
DeleteHappy 2026! 🎉🥳
ReplyDeleteThe cold isn’t so bad when the sun shines.
There are patches of ice everywhere around here.
May
Happy New Year May! My neighbor commented that she's suddenly in the mood to finally clean house. She thinks it's the sunshine!
DeleteIt sounds lovely. Yes, be careful post hip! Rick made split pea and ham soup last night. It was fantastic!
ReplyDeleteThe repaired hip is probably my strongest joint! Completely fused now. But I don't want to go falling anyway.
DeletePease pudding is a favourite here too. We have it with salt beef dinner, known as Jiggs dinner in Newfoundland.
ReplyDeleteWas Jiggs a sea captain? Salt beef makes me wonder.
Delete"Sunny" "Feels like 12"
ReplyDeleteSounds like the sun was no match for the wind.
It wasn't. I'm so glad of my long windproof coat.
DeleteYou can have all the peas in the world. I hate peas, no matter how they're prepared!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
If you'll take all the Brussels sprouts, it's a deal.
DeleteLove that salad bowl!
ReplyDeleteThe owner says it's a bowel!
Delete