Wednesday, January 14, 2026

Daily activism, saving the landfill, bergamot boxes

Wednesday morning I realized voting is on soon for renewed funding for a lot of things including Homeland Security which contains ICE.  I messaged both senators to urge them to work to defund and abolish HS, ICE included.

The day's walk took me past this dumpster with useful stuff I don't need. 


I put it up on Freecycle with directions on how to find it. There are more items than you see, evidently someone unenlightened, moving out, who isn't considering the optics, or the options.

Tuesday  when I wrote my post I was a bit tired,  full day, and plenty of material already, so I postponed the usual account of the subjects the knitting group ranged over.

Catching up: growing cotton, using whistles, local charity shop, downed trees in storm, Christmas markets, gluhwein, poutine, pelvic floor health, Korean churches, spinning wheels, soft toys, cars, creative playthings, large boxes, artefact restoration, lost violins and more. 

And here's the bergamot boxes 


The one on the left cracked as I was taking it off the glass, but I can repair it when I do the finishing. These are more brittle than the lemons were. I can maybe match the outer ones as one box, the inner ones as another. There was a gust of scent when I took them off the glasses, lovely.

Happy day everyone, say all the things! She does anyway, sez Ted and Big Ursy 






28 comments:

  1. Charming baker’s rack if that’s one’s style. I was talking tonight about buying a ponderosa lemon or two to try out the bergamot box instructions. Start big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should do it if only to get sgs version of bandicoot boxes.

      Delete
    2. You know him well. Burger King boxes?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, if you have space, it's okay, nice condition.

      Delete
  3. Spent the day watching my brother who suffers from dementia. My SiL had her father's funeral to attend and Marty can't be alone too long. He will be moved soon to a facility where we hope he will get better care. He's only a year older than me so I was happy to help but it is such a sad situation. Treasure your abilities and enjoy every moment you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sad all around. Your sister in law has such worries. Let's hope when your brother is in care he'll be safe and you can all breathe a bit better. Yes, health is the biggest treasure there is.

      Delete
  4. Love the start of your bergamot boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your phone calls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It shocks me at what is thrown out in my building. Students living here for a short time, maybe two years, just put stuff out to go into landfill, some perfectly ok. I have retrieved a few things over the years but I can only remember the washing basket at the moment. Freecycle sounds wonderful.

    Immigration enforcement is necessary, but it needs to be done in a smart way, with empathy, not jack boot style, with guns blazing. I read somewhere that young TikTokers are exposing their daddies' ICE 'professions' online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of the academic year there's a great opportunity to pick up perfectly good appliances, furniture etc, left out by departing Princeton students. I think they're not tossing them so much as offering them to any taker.
      What ice is doing is nothing to do with immigration. It's about skin color. US citizens of color are being arrested, beaten, held. They're being dragged out of immigration hearings where green cards are imminent. Some have been here generations. It's terror inflicted in revenge for a Minnesota man, Tim Walz, who ran against T for VP.

      Delete
  7. I like that kitchen hutch. A good bargain -- free! I'm doing armchair activism these days, hoping January 20 won't be miserable for the in person protests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're continuing to be active in resistance.

      Delete
  8. We had a group support moment for one of our pottery class members. She is always so cheerful and funny but she's gone through something that is very hard and she left early yesterday but before she did, we hugged her, we told her we care, and I know several people have already checked in on her.
    Things like this are more important, I believe, than what we end up taking out of the kiln. Or at least, is part of it.
    Your bergamot boxes are coming right along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, groups like this do more than make stuff. They're healing circles.

      Delete
  9. I can't believe the things people leave behind, but maybe everything is too much for the person. When our renter left a huge mess, seven couches, etc., I didn't realize how overwhelmed she was. I can see not being able to deal with even one more thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here it's the cost of moving items. So bulky light items are dumped, too expensive to move, rather than buy new at the destination.

      Delete
  10. When we moved we put things we couldn't take with us in the alley. By the end of the day it was all gone. I hope the same happens here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good distribution system. I hope some of these items go, too.

      Delete
  11. It's interesting that Freecycle allowed you to post those items. I once wrote up something I saw discarded on a nearby street corner, and they said I couldn't post it because it wasn't in my possession. They said I'd have to bring it home and THEN post it, so multiple people didn't show up at the corner to claim it. (Sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local freecycle is okay with drive bys, maybe because we have a smaller population, less competition. They do vary, some permitting live animals -- ours doesn't, and when an occasional one gets in, it gets terrific pushback.

      Delete
  12. We are in the process of getting the house ready for sale and unfortunately it appears that our Freecycle facebook page is pretty defunct as I have a few decent things that will be going to the tip otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it possible to put them out front with a Free sign on them?

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately too heavy. I put them up on ten local classifieds facebook pages and got 3 bites (and 7 from scammers) and managed to get rid of 2 things

      Delete
  13. Looks like a good collection of possibilities at the dumpster...hopefully somebody gives them a new home.
    Your boxes are looking great - not bad for using castoff oranges.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!