Tuesday, January 20, 2026

Veto, no sew, and other Tuesday events


Governor Murphy pocket-vetoed two of the immigrant protection bills. But so we're already looking ahead to bring them up again with the incoming Sherrill administration.  Good thing we have another Dem incoming. The argument was that the bills would end in another court fight with the T. admin. I think it's a poor excuse.

And you can make interesting pillows without stitching. I did this yesterday 

Large Indian scarf tied on, Japanese-adjacent style. A whole new meaning to tie one on.

Today's tai chi style workout with April and Aiko gave me something to smile about.



And folks, try to find some fun even in this hell we're in. If we don't, then what are we fighting for anyway?

The Tuesday knitting group was lively with a group making some great things.


Sparkly socks to be a present 
Here she's showing me the stitch pattern of the jacket in progress 
She's also signed on to the roster for Driving Miss Boud!


Here's a lacy shawl under way

A repair to original embroidery done long ago by the repairer's mother 


The lacy shawl maker created this amazing cabled sweater for a young relative.

Talk ranged over snow, ferrets, spindles, Abby Franquemont, 3D printed spindles and spinning wheels, Rhode Island, fast food, grandchildren, Indian friends, project bags, night owls, coffee, AI as theft, and more.

Then home to Textiles and Tea with 

He's a printmaker who moved into paper weaving, using scrap paper, advertising flyers, packaging, whatever met the need for his sometimes large designs. He works in half inch strips. 














Here's his notebook where he tries out and records ideas and projects.
 
Anyone who's done paper weaving will admire his handling of color and design and harmony and balance and all the aspects of an artwork that make it look easy!

Happy day everyone, I certainly had one, art, craft, good friends, and I had crunchy breaded cod for lunch, so, good food, too.










24 comments:

  1. Oh you are so cute...beautiful...joyful! Love that smile, and the fiberworks that envelope your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you caught only part of the post when it posted while I was still writing. I had to relupload and write it all again because it didn't save the first time around.

      Delete
  2. Well with your smiling face, there is always hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creative fibre friends!!

    That paper weaving is stunning

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll checkout their Tai Chi video... I'm having to persuade myself to face today's 5 minutes exercise video ' future me will be so thankful and pleased that now me did them.' 'It's only 5 minutes' 'woman up and just do them'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, future you will be glad. I find April and Aiko so good humored it's easy to go along with them.

      Delete
  5. I’ve always wanted that acorn hat. A beautiful photo of beautiful smiling you! Fascinating woven bitmap art and beautiful things from your group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice things yesterday. An acorn hat seems inevitable for a squirrel.

      Delete
  6. Now that's a LOT of half inch paper strips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he has much left for the recycle!

      Delete
  7. Wow, that paper weaving must be so finicky and delicate to work with! Yesterday at my "Writer's Corner" group (renamed from "Poetry Club"), a woman brought her Scottish spindle to show us. She told us the complex Gaelic spelling of its name (involving a lot of "d's" and "h's") but its pronunciation was like "Jilligan." So of course I had to make a bad pun about Jilligan's Island. Yeah, low-hanging fruit, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I YouTube lady who did the Spin like a Viking channel used to brandish a Scottish spindle. I could spell it at one time but there wasn't much call for it.

      Delete
  8. Your smile does give hope, Boud! I'm amazed at what artists can do. Scrap paper turns into the beautiful works of art. Amazing. Driving Miss Boud, is there a movie in that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is packed with all sorts of great information, but have to say I'm disappointed in your Gov. Obviously he's afraid to stick his neck out.
    Seeing the knitting projects underway is always a fun thing and then to marvel at all those colourful creations made out of paper no less. Proves that even the cheapest of materials can be used to create great art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Murphy didn't want to stick his successor with a conflict with T straight out of the gate. But she has vowed to stand up to T, so they might have agreed to doing it this way. We'll see.
      Yes, any old materials can be used to make art, depending on the talent of the maker

      Delete
  10. The ladies at your knitting group produce beautiful knitted projects. I love the paper weaving, it's lovely and colourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a nice group. Thank you for the podcast ref yesterday. I've started listening, some good talks there.

      Delete
  11. What a nice photo of you! You look so happy! I will be doing an April and Aiko workout today to prepare for going to my Zumba class tomorrow. I haven't done anything for almost a month so I want to get back at it but carefully...
    Your knitting group is so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, Aiko and Tai chi are a cheering combo.

      Delete
  12. So nice to put a face with a name! That paper weaving looks amazing. As always in awe of the work that others do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see other people's work, yes. Much easier than making it. Especially giant paper weaving.

      Delete
  13. You look so cheerful in that photo. I admire your ability to find the bright spots in the midst of all our current craziness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of our precious resources is good spirits. So I try to do my bit.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!