News, views, art, food, books and activism. This now incorporates my art blog, which you can still read, at https://beautifulmetaphor.blogspot.com.
You can also find my shorts channel
www.youtube.com/@ChezBoud
All pictures and text created by me are copyright to me, Liz Adams. If you'd like to quote, with credit, just ask!
Thursday, January 8, 2026
Meanwhile the NJ legislature takes action against ICE
NJ does have sizeable red areas, but the current Leg is blue, and the incoming governor, following on a two term Dem governor. But, as I said earlier, it's taken years of our unremitting activism to get here.
I'm pretty confident that they will, because once out of committee, there's usually massive pressure and people rallying at the State House to get this kind of legislation through Assembly and Senate.
It's the result of endless spirited activism and a NJ attitude! Don't tell ME what to do! Seriously, people like me have been pushing for years for enlightened laws, against a lot of pushback, and it takes time and energy and a refusal to concede. We had dark years with Gov Christie, a T***p wannabe and finally booted him and rebuilt what he'd destroyed. He too governed by retaliation.
I really hope this passes and that it does what they're hoping for. Somehow I wonder though if the orange idiot and his minions will find a way around it - or totally ignore it.
Good work, New Jersey. It just occurred to me, why would ICE, that is border control and illegal immigration need guns? I am sure if ICE perceived a threat, they would immediately have armed police on site. It rather strikes me that ICE is hunting down people, like we hunt down unwanted pest animals. My country and guns is bad enough. But lordy, nothing on yours. With a pessimistic view, can the US ever return to being a powerful but also respected country? It's going to take time, quite a bit.
I like this very much and think other states should copy immediately.
ReplyDeleteI do too, but lots of luck with that one.
DeleteGood for them.
ReplyDeleteIt's taken years of pushing to get here!
DeleteGo New Jersey! Would that Idaho were as enlightened. Chris from (sigh) Boise
ReplyDeleteNJ does have sizeable red areas, but the current Leg is blue, and the incoming governor, following on a two term Dem governor. But, as I said earlier, it's taken years of our unremitting activism to get here.
DeleteYes, so true. We continually gird our loins and plunge back in, because we must.
DeleteSix thousand! Shocking. I hope the bills pass, and I hope they have teeth.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
I'm pretty confident that they will, because once out of committee, there's usually massive pressure and people rallying at the State House to get this kind of legislation through Assembly and Senate.
DeleteInspiring. May New Jersey have the power.
ReplyDeleteI think we have a good chance. This is NJ! You lookin at me, fella?
DeleteI hope these objectives can be realised.
ReplyDeleteI think we're in a good place to get these laws passed.
DeleteGood.
ReplyDeleteYep. Very much so.
DeleteAh, to live in an enlightened state rather than a morass of the cruel insanity which is Florida.
ReplyDeleteIt's the result of endless spirited activism and a NJ attitude! Don't tell ME what to do! Seriously, people like me have been pushing for years for enlightened laws, against a lot of pushback, and it takes time and energy and a refusal to concede. We had dark years with Gov Christie, a T***p wannabe and finally booted him and rebuilt what he'd destroyed. He too governed by retaliation.
DeleteI really hope this passes and that it does what they're hoping for. Somehow I wonder though if the orange idiot and his minions will find a way around it - or totally ignore it.
ReplyDeleteThey can't. In state we're in charge. If they try it they'll regret it. They may try.
DeleteGood work, New Jersey. It just occurred to me, why would ICE, that is border control and illegal immigration need guns? I am sure if ICE perceived a threat, they would immediately have armed police on site. It rather strikes me that ICE is hunting down people, like we hunt down unwanted pest animals. My country and guns is bad enough. But lordy, nothing on yours. With a pessimistic view, can the US ever return to being a powerful but also respected country? It's going to take time, quite a bit.
ReplyDelete