Thursday, January 8, 2026

Woven potholder done, foxen, and carfree

So here's the last of the weaving, then seen with the skewers removed in order to complete the last couple of rounds, then the cardboard loom removed, and the potholder in action.



I needed to attach a loop to hang it by, and a bit of reinforcing crocheting down the sides, and it's done.

This will save the back of my hands from endless burns while I cook, usually when lifting something out of the oven. I tend to forget the shelf above is hot. 

This was a pleasing experiment, largely because I was able to remove the loom undamaged, which had been a question.  

As you see, I bent it to release the warp but the channels for the skewers are fine. I want to use it again.  And the seamless concept worked out as figured, too. 

A friend asked Tuesday, as we drove to our knitting group, how the carfree life was working out, probably wondering about her own plans when she eventually moves on. 

It's working out to the point where, while I was waiting for her, a neighbor came over, asked me where I needed to get to, and offered a ride!  I explained I had one, and he went away content. 

I did wonder if he thought I was just hanging about in the hope of an offer!  But I literally haven't had to ask for a ride, other than two ride services to learn how they work. 

Handsome Son theorizes my friends and neighbors have heard of old people living alone and giving up driving, who then become isolated and a bit weird. So they want to avoid that. 

As to weird, I plead the Fifth, but I'm clearly not isolated. One part I hadn't realized was how much less tired I am when I'm not the driver. The anxiety, added to the focus needed, added up.

Happy day, everyone, be weird if that's your thing. And why do we say oxen but not foxen? I know only about two of these kinds of foxes. Or foxen.









39 comments:

  1. Looks like a strong and thick pot holder a worth while project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. After I show my knitting friends, I'll start using it.

      Delete
  2. Why not start saying foxen? You can invent a word. Your pot holder turned out beautifully. I freely admit I'm weird and it didn't come on with old age. It's a lifetime habit.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foxen is starting to look real. Bullycheck turned that into Biden! Noooo. He's always been real and wonderful.

      Delete
  3. What a clever idea to use cardboard. It looks really lovely
    I am already driving less and less. Sitting in one position for any amount of time makes for more pain. At least as a passenger you can move about and spread the “love” as they say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also learned the skill involved in getting in and out the passenger side and finding the seatbelt! and I still try first to get in the driver side. Force of habit.

      Delete
  4. Although I don’t have much opportunity, I plan to say foxen from now on. You have exceptionally thoughtful neighbors and you are, obviously, well-liked. Thanks for permission to be weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think weird is thrust upon us! Thank you for joining the Foxen Movement.

      Delete
  5. We think we're weird until we realise everyone else is weird, too - at least, that's my experience. Foxen, I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting insight into weird.

      Delete
  6. We have taken to daily contacting a friend who lives alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. For people who don't have that option and live alone, some police departments have a daily check-in system for reassurance, too.

      Delete
  7. Your potholder turned out great! Glad that being carless is working out so well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be useful, the pot holder, that is. Carlessness is freeing!

      Delete
  8. The potholder turned out really well. Was it easier or harder than knitting one? It looks sturdier/thicker than knitting.
    I have a friend with cancer whom I check on daily because last summer she almost died from pneumonia. She didn't realize how sick she was and was hallucinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Degree of difficulty is comparable to knitting, I think. It probably took longer. The thickness is probably similar.
      It's good of you to check on your friend, when it's hard to tell just how sick you are when you're alone.

      Delete
    2. Knitting... I know a thing or two about that. Knitting isn't as thick – the stitches aren't as tight – as weaving... but there's a way to make the stitches tighter :-) by felting the knitted item... I've done it for mittens and hats... when felting, the stitches shrink and the knitted item gets smaller... which means you have to knit a larger size.

      Delete
  9. I said goodbye to my granddaughters, and told one that being weird was fantastic, then backed up and said, not that I'm calling you weird. But she laughed as she knew already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the potholder. It is not only pretty, but as if it will get the job done. And of course it will.
    I think that foxes are cat-dogs. I am sure this theory has been disproven but I continue to believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome to your theories. Who's going to disprove it? I like how the pot holder turned out, and used some bits of homespun.

      Delete
  11. That came out nice.
    I've not done anything in 2026 besides lay in bed and cough. I'm beginning to see a bit of improvement today so hopefully, I can put this flu behind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Coughy new year. Let's hope this week will see the end of the flu.

      Delete
  12. Woven potholder is great! If I were to have more than one box, I'd have boxen? A few years ago, I saw a doc on PBS called Fox Tales, and a good chunk of it was about all the red foxen in UK cities. I'd seen them in some fairly densely populated suburbs (in the US), but I didn't know they could live so well in urban areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a blogger I follow who lives in London and regularly shows cam footage of foxen in his garden at night. A couple of clearly different ones. They seem to do fine, mostly looking pretty well and active. Foxen in boxen!

      Delete
  13. The potholder came out well - may it keep your hands burn-free. Glad the loom is reusable - it may prove very handy. You are well-loved, Boud, and I bet people are glad to be able to give back a little by offering rides. As to weird - I agree with Jabblog. Foxen, boxen, soxen...:-) Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful piece... double-woven. It turned out wonderfully.
    I imagine it's difficult, especially at the end when the rods have been pulled out.
    Lovely project.
    I'd love to try it too :-)))
    Best regards and thank you for sharing.
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it! You'll probably find other ways, too. It did get tight at the end, but using the pinloom needle addressed that.

      Delete
  15. I get that about the isolated. Nope. We are only as isolated as we make ourselves. That potholder is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, I can guar.an.tee you will not be isolated!

      Delete
  16. Great potholder! I've made them (not woven though) for the RC and of course he forgets to use them and then wonders why he burns himself on the top element.
    Wonderful to know the no-car thing is working out so well. After clearing our car from snow and ice several times over the past couple of weeks it's almost enough for me to give it up too. This morning we had to pick up groceries and I discovered that my new (and expensive) winter boots have absolutely NO grip on ice and it was worth my life to get across the parking lot.
    The fox/foxen question is yet another reason why the English language is so hard to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there ride service where you live? It may be time to look into that. Or at least yaktrax for the ice. I've been happy up to now with the combo of ride service, son and friends. And I get doorstep delivery of groceries and medications.

      Delete
    2. Yes we have several different options for ride services here. I don't know about grocery delivery but I think we can get that too. Our drug store will deliver as well. We do have options but I would miss being able to go to the library several times a week or going out for coffee once in awhile. I will look into yaktrax and see if I can get them to fit my boots. The hard part is knowing when I'd need to use them because we often can't tell from the third floor whether the parking lot is icy.

      Delete
    3. Yaktrax can be fitted on to your boots while you're wearing them, so you could keep them in your bag just in case. I think I'd budget for rides now and then, especially to see friends, while I still had a car.

      Delete
  17. I love that you made the pot holder. So cool. Nice that he asked you if you needed a ride. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!