Saturday, January 17, 2026

Shoveling light rain, banana bread, clothes wash

The forecast was for light rain. Then

11am 

Noon

Still going. Local police now advising inches of snow, roads are slippery, many collisions reported. Shoveling in progress.

 Meanwhile I had stuff to do 

The makings for banana bread. See the cacao nibs, Wilma? 

And, not to be confused, the makings for laundry soap

The Windex jug is empty,  just a handy gallon container for the mixture. The little wrapped thing next to the funnel is the last of the castile soap, to be grated in.  I don't add scents or color or anything, just a simple mixture. 

And later, after a strengthening cheese and tomato sandwich, here's the rest of the story.

The laundry soap needs 24 hours to cure, the banana bread a few minutes to cool.

In the cooling process I turned the loaf out onto a rack, and made handy discovery.


The rack made handy cutting marks for slicing. How clever.

The knitting is moving along 

The boxes are coming along, one repair almost done. Reveal tomorrow.

Then the plan is a pot of tea, cake and a murderer mystery under a knitted blanket.

Happy day everyone, it's okay to cut straight to the tea and cake, if you're not as driven as some of us.



 

29 comments:

  1. Aren’t you glad you don’t have a car? Oh, that banana bread. San Geraldo needs to bake me something. And soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neighbors out sweeping off cars. There's ice under the snow, very tricky driving. The pre marked banana bread is different from previous ones. This has pumpkin spice and cacao nibs, high octane caffeine. Not very sweet, good for breakfast.

      Delete
  2. You can keep your banana bread - I am in the unbanana camp, so more for all of you banana fiends. The washing liquid, however, I am interested in. And whodunnit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The laundry stuff I found on YouTube and adapted to one gallon. Those farm ladies make it by the vat! 4oz grated pure castile soap melted in boiling water, quarter cup each borax and washing soda in half a gallon of water, add the soap and its water, fill up container with very hot not boiling water, shake, stir, leave for 24 hours before using. Half cup per load.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good plan for a rainy day. Enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned into a snowy icy day, but the plan worked.

      Delete
  4. That IS handy, to have the guide marks for even cutting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely doing this from now on. I used a bench scraper to cut with, worked fine.

      Delete
  5. How many decades has it taken for you to learn about the cooling rack markings? Actually, it is news to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always impressed by how much you get done in a day! I did get a lot of my Christmas stuff put away so I'm glad to be making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are driven for sure, but resourceful for darn sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And no car and no driving on snowy icy roads!

    I'm a banana/peanut butter person, but not a banana bread aficionado, but even so that sounds yummy with the pumpkin spice and cacao nibs.

    I haven't been able to get the photo of my bergamot box off my phone, dagnabit (technological Luddite that I am), so you'll just have to take my word that it was a fun experiment that taught me a lot.

    A strengthening cheese and tomato sandwich sounds about perfect to set you up for murder mystery and perhaps a nap on your unexpected snow day.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so happy and carfree! I'm really glad you did the bergamot boxes idea, just fun to try for yourself. There were a couple of naps, when I thought I was reading.

      Delete
  9. I used to use the same cutting guide technique when I baked date bread :) Note to self: why did I stop making date bread?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I never thought of it before. Date bread, hm.

      Delete
  10. I'll bet you are quite pleased with yourself that you don't have to deal with a car in that weather. The sun is trying mightily to shine here today - first time in weeks it seems. More snow in the forecast during the week though.
    Enjoyed the Paul Harvey 'rest of the story' reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the carfree life! I knew you'd catch the ref.

      Delete
  11. I'm itching to bake yet trying to carb-cut so resisting. (I did run out of eggs after breakfast so that is a good factor!) The knitting is looking terrific -- wonderful colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use aqua faba, the liquid from canned beans, aa an egg substitute. Just sayin'..

      Delete
  12. I'll just get straight to the tea and cake! Now I know a very good idea. I would never have thought of using a cooking rack as a slice guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was accidental! But now its what I'll do.

      Delete
  13. Do you ever put blueberries in your banana bread? I really like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put all kinds of fruit in it at different times, also nuts. It's one of those all purpose recipes!

      Delete
  14. Oh, I remember having to dig out the car after a New Jersey snow! I do not miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm inside, warm, watching neighbors clearing and digging, not missing that. It's nice that now a snowfall doesn't mean work!

      Delete
  15. Oh wow. That’s a decent amount of snow to fall so quickly.
    Is it quick? I’m not sure but it definitely looks a perfect day to sit under a blanket and read

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!