Friday, January 9, 2026

Springlike walk and Misfits

Thursday was springlike, just for a day or two, and my morning walk under the trees was full of birdsong and animal tracks. 

I heard a downy woodpecker rattling then saw her (no red hat) start pecking on a tree. Very early for nesting. And I heard but didn't see chickadees and Carolina wrens, saw but didn't hear a little flock of juncoes.

The downed trees are usually left where they fall if they're not in the way,  and they provide habitat for a lot of animals and birds

At the top of the standing trees there's a whole colony of mourning doves, and, lower down, the juncoes flitter about.

A bit further along, you see where squirrels demonstrate their bite strength on these black walnuts.


If you've ever tried to break into black walnuts you'll know what pressure it takes. 

The prescribed method is to spread them on a hard surface, such as a concrete driveway, place a board on top and drive your car back and forward to crush them. 

Then you can spend the rest of the day picking out the delicious fragments of nut, before deciding to just go with regular walnuts. Besides, the regular ones can be cracked to make two miniature doll beds from the shell. Just sayin. 

Misfits pickup is out ready for Haleem, whom I messaged with a New Year greeting.

He got back with a very appreciative text.





Canned goods and mustard for the food pantry, oats and peanut butter for granola bars, cod pieces (!) because I need fish 'n chips, potatoes for the chips, also for roasted dice with the chicken pieces I just roasted, apples great relief, I really missed them last week, mushrooms to slice and freeze ready for omelettes, and to accompany chicken and roast potatoes, sardines for sandwiches for my brain, BananAZ! dundeedeedundeedee etc, mango pieces to go with yogurt, blueberries likewise, avocado oil because I finished the last of it in the red chili oil.

This was a nice order. 

Happy day everyone, I hope you're as well fed as I and able to get out among trees and calming nature,  in our current turmoil and tragedy.


Fluffageddon says breathe, plan, persist, resist 





33 comments:

  1. In fact, there's some kind of metal utensil for cracking walnuts, isn't there? Yet I guess it's not the equal of a squirrel's teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutcrackers can't crack black walnuts usually, but they work with English walnuts. But yes, nothing rivals a squirrel's teeth.

      Delete
  2. Hoping these latest crimes by ICE might be the straw that breaks the Drumpf administration’s back. Meanwhile, beautiful nature hike and feast. I had no idea black walnuts were so hard. What do you do if, like us, you don’t have a car?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You recruit a friend with a car and a driveway! Or you buy the other kind. I only use black walnuts for dyeing yarn and fabric.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like your going to have an early spring. I guess we have to wait and see what the groundhog says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often get a false spring early in the year then winter comes roaring back with snowstorms as late as April. We'll see.

      Delete
  4. I'd forgotten about walnut shell beds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're also good for tiny toy mice. Check out Maggie Rudy!

      Delete
  5. What a good bird report. Love seeing your plant in the window too! It's cousin sits by my TV screen...not quite in the window because it is happier away from direct sun. Great groceries for the week! yes I need to get out among the trees with all that our country is throwing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plant in the window is two -- a wandering dude in its own pot, set among the philodendron, either fighting it out or flourishing, can't tell yet.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I love that cat picture, very much like my late great Annabelle.

      Delete
  7. It 58 this morning. If it stops raining, I'm getting out on that walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe get your raincoat and just go anyway?

      Delete
  8. I would go insane if I didn't live where I do, surrounded by trees and critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the years I had to spend in cities were desperate times, but it was where the jobs were. Every day I feel happy looking out on trees and clear skies.

      Delete
  9. I love hearing the birds when I'm out walking. The sparrows make the most noise, a host of sparrows, hiding in the shrubs, talking amongst themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those flocks in the shrubbery, hard to see but loud.

      Delete
  10. Lots of good things to eat for another week. We've been in a thaw/freeze spell so it's slippery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How much worse do they need to get before they are removed from office? It's taking too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider that this has been coming since Reagan laid the groundwork. And with Republican retirement, death, crashes, we may get the House back before the midterms. We need to keep on. I know you're doing your share.

      Delete
  12. Nice that your weather allows for a stroll outside. Too icey here on our road to walk leisurely.
    The news is ver very disturbing. It gets worse every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The news makes my walks more necessary every day.

      Delete
  13. I once used that type of walnuts to make ink and ended up using a hammer to break them open. They sure to make potent ink that stains absolutely EVERYTHING it comes in contact with. I got rid of my supply when we moved here because all I'd need would be to spill it onto the carpet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used black walnuts for dye and ink and never opened them, just simmered the whole thing. Yes, it's indelible, no concerns about fading, even if you want it to. I used to keep the ink container in another container for that reason!

      Delete
  14. Excellent round-up of goodies to cook and eat. Love that. Very cool that you might get back into noodle making. Today I did parsely pasta ribbons. They're drying now. Will taste them over the weekend. Have you seen the YouTube channel called Pasta Grannies? Sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must check that channel. My pasta is a bit more artisanal looking than an experienced Nonna makes

      Delete
    2. Mine is too and so is theirs. It's wonderful. Rustic. Wonderful and from the heart. Doesn't have to be perfect. Perfect pasta is boring. Artisanal is the word I use and rustic. Really good channel. PS: Made parsley noodles yesterday. Will taste them today. So fun!

      Delete
  15. Time in nature reduces the anxiety. Our weather is milder but not as good as yours, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so lucky that I have easy access to trees and the sky.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!