Sunday, January 11, 2026

An old idea resurfaces, and a new project

The $$$$ tub to shower idea isn't the only way to go. I checked into various versions, from complete tear out and rebuild, to prefab shower inserts, to revisiting an idea I had years ago.

I wondered if it was possible to just cut into the bathtub wall, remove a section leaving a step over, and cover and waterproof the raw edges. At that time Michael the Talented Artist Contractor was very dubious, and we didn't find anything available on the market to work for us.

Anyway now, years later,  there are quite a few companies doing this work and installing the kit, and I can get it locally, and will definitely investigate the best way to go. 

Like this 

And it's many $$$ cheaper than the reno. So I may be able to get the bathroom retiled and painted without going broke. Anyway that's where the thinking is right now. Old thinking not as impractical as it sounded at the time.

And the current making project consists of continuing one of the items that arrived yesterday.  

If there's enough yarn for a cowl, that's what it will be. If not I'll think again. I also repaired and rebuilt underwear but you probably aren't eager for pictures of that.

Thank you whoever recommended this book

I think it's been made into a movie which I don't plan to see because I've got the characters vividly in mind and I bet the movie won't correspond.

It's a book that's wonderful mostly, a bit chick lit here and there but who cares, it grips, that follows interesting people occupied in and around books, writing, selling, reviewing. 

The action is mainly on Alice Island in New England, hard to get to, largely a summer resort place but the characters live there. Not one of those affluent-family-at-summer-home tropes.  

The literary background is second to their lives, hearts, connections, births and deaths. I really encourage you to read it if like me, you hadn't even heard of it when it was a bestseller.

Happy day everyone, and let me know if you have any info, or experience, on the potential mayhem of the bathtub.

I have deleted the coverage of the nomadic textile presentation after finding the presenter doesn't permit recording. I took that to cover screenshots, too.  Just in case you notice.

About politics -- I don't come to blogland for armchair political opining. So I limit my coverage to a few pertinent actions we can take, and  acknowledgment of what blogistas are doing. I'm involved, not trying to ignore our situation, but not wanting to make more noise.  

I have taken to scrolling past blog posts, nothing personal, that include complete cut and paste of the newsletters I already follow.  Just sayin'. 





53 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book recommendation. I have purchased it - outside the States it's called "The Collected Works of AJ Fikry" which initially confused me but I am looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why they do that. Usually the titles are easy to understand but maybe certain words get the attention of different audience. I hope you enjoy it. Let us know how it goes. And I'm so excited to see you here again!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to send that tub conversion photo to my friend -- thanks, Boud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several companies making and installing them. Cost is in the hundreds, not thousands, nice point. There are quite a few YouTube videos showing the process. Apparently the material of the tub doesn't matter, they just use the appropriate cutting techniques.

      Delete
  3. I like that idea of the tub to shower conversion you are considering. That is new to me. I read the book and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering for years how to get it done. Finally they've caught up.

      Delete
  4. The bathtub looks like an excellent idea, one I've not seen but then I've not looked. It seems you could still take a shallow bath. Before a handrail was installed in my mother's bathroom, she one day wrenched off the wall and broke the soap holder as she tried to steady herself. The set up pictured doesn't seem to include a handrail, and I'd like to that part of the project. For my mother's last few years at home, she had a special chair to sit on in the bath with the shower above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my grab bars installed by an expert in grab bars. The bathtub work is a different expertise. And I doubt if they'd show a grab bar in case people thought it was included.
      Theres a more expensive insert which includes a removable door so you can make it a full bath. That would suit a family with different needs. It also gets around local assessment where an altered bathroom drops down to being considered a half bath. Much reduces market value.

      Delete
  5. Your last book 'The Only Story' broke my heart a little. I will approach the Storied Life of A.J. Fiery very carefully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have sadness, but it's not as powerful as the Julian Barnes. She's not as penetrating a writer. And there's more humor in AJ Fikry.

      Delete
  6. I am imagining that cut out in the tub here. I have a shower curtain that works to contain the water. Seems like, with the floor so low, the shower curtain might not work so well? Is there a fix for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sidewall is several inches off the floor, so it's like a shower stall, same curtain. I don't see why it wouldn't work. You need the curtain to reach the base of the tub, I suppose. As in a shower stall.

      Delete
  7. The colours in that Cowl-to-be are nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's self striping! It's been a while since I had self striping yarn.

      Delete
  8. The tub conversion is ingenious. I’ve been doing the same with blog posts that share posts and articles I’ve already read. I appreciate their effort but it simply becomes overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it a bit irritating, as if we didn't have the ability to find that material routinely ourselves, and I also scroll right past opinions. Everyone's entitled to have and express them, but not to expect me to read them! And you kids, get off my lawn!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the book recommendation. I'm always looking for a good one! And I am so in love with the yarn and how it's working in your current knitting project. What wonderful colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like the book. I'm enjoying the change of pace with the future maybe-cowl.

      Delete
  10. The bath tub adaptation sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea, much cheaper and more versatile than a complete rebuild

      Delete
  11. Somebody had a bright idea and also an implementation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect plenty of people like me wondered how to do it, seemed very doable. But it needed this kit.

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed that book too. Not sure about a movie. Love that yarn! There are ads running here constantly about bath tub remodels as you describe. I have never checked into it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think once people investigate the cost of a rebuild they start looking around for alternatives. Then marketing happens.

      Delete
  13. A family member had the open door one like that. Because they still wanted to take a bath too. Pretty neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know what company brand they used?

      Delete
    2. I don't ... so sorry. They've long time passed now.

      Delete
  14. That is one of my favorite books and you're right about the movie, not as good.
    Hopefully you're able to remodel the bathroom to allow the low tub. I need to get our ensuite redone this year with a walk-in shower with a seat and grab bars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grab bars are great, I have them all over, preneed, as the funeral people say!

      Delete
  15. I just put a hold on the audio version of "The Storied Life..."
    Thank you!
    I've seen many advertisements here for a walk-in tub. I remember when I was taking care of Owen when he was quite young and he saw one of those ads and said, "Mer, you need one of those."
    I was a bit insulted. Now it doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't a walk in tub, but yes, the ads for them are everywhere. They're very expensive, compared to the cutout with an insertible door, which works the same.
      I hope you like the AJ Fikry. A lot depends on who narrates.

      Delete
  16. I used to see commercials about turning your existing tub into a walk-in. I periodically feel compelled to write about the current mess we are in. Especially living in Minnesota at the time. I understand not everyone wants to read it and that is up to them. I looked for that book on Libby but couldn't find it. I'll look again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think writing about the state of affairs is a matter of degree. You mention facts and deal with them. I read you gladly. I don't any more read multiple paragraphs of personal, often nonfactual, opinion and what I think of as outrage porn. Nor wholesale cut and paste of other people's writing without regard to copyright and ownership.
      It's worth another try on the book. I wonder if you can get the audiobook?

      Delete
  17. I'm sure I read that book but now do not remember what it was about... Maybe I will read it again. Love the colors of that pretty yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn isn't labeled but I bet it was called Ocean or something.

      Delete
  18. I like that step in remake of the tube. A great idea. Your knitting is so petty and the stitches are perfect. Glad you enjoyed the book. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to repair a few dropped stitches when I started in this partly done piece, but I think it's fixed now. I'm hoping the tub idea is the answer.

      Delete
  19. I loved the A.J. Fikrey book. Of course it took years for technology and industry to catch up to your bathtub conversion idea.
    Thanks for realizing that your textile expert did not want photographs (but selfishly glad you posted them before you knew).
    Your adopted yarn and knitting project is beautiful - love the colors.
    I'm attempting to re-soak one orange peel in hopes I can stretch it over the other end of the glass, as a smart person suggested...:-)
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got staying power, I'll say that for you!

      Delete
  20. I also read the A.J. Fikrey book and then saw the adaptation on Netflix, which perhaps might have differed in bits from the book, but it had been a while since I read it. That bathtub conversion looks like a great idea and wish the apartment management had a similar option, but sadly all have bathtub /showers only, aside from handicap apartments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the drawback of a rental. You can't plunge in and cut up your bathtub.

      Delete
  21. I’ve wondered about a walk in bathtub. We have a corner spar with the who’re in it as well. It’s worked for decades. But the time is quickly coming when I won’t be able to step over and into it.
    I’m eager to see how your renovations go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a step in shower. A walk in bathtub is different and very expensive. But one or the other might be in your future.

      Delete
  22. We're planning a downstairs shower room with walk in shower and loo. Future proofing our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. The future gets here faster than we expect!

      Delete
  23. I knew I'd read it - but it was 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You keep records that far back? That's organized.

      Delete
  24. I wish we could do something similar with our tub because I know it would be safer for the RC but I can just imagine the furor it would cause with the building management. We only have showers because neither of us can get up out of the tub so having an 'entrance' like that would be really helpful.
    Thank you for the book review - now I'm off to the library web site to see if they have a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my hip surgery I got a bench chair for the shower . You sit on it outside the shower and slide across the seat, swinging your feet over the tub side, wrap the shower curtain around and you can shower. Slide across afterwards and stand up outside the tub. It's a lot safer than climbing in. Cost about $40. He might like to consider that if he's concerned about climbing and falling.

      Delete
    2. That's a good idea! I didn't know about those sorts of benches and will keep that in mind. For now he's ok but the day is coming faster than what we'd like.

      Delete
    3. Maybe you'd like to buy one and keep it in the package till needed. Often the need is sudden.

      Delete
    4. I checked the name -- it's a tub transfer bench. Mine is the simple one where the person slides. There are more expensive ones where the seat slides, but mine worked fine.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!