Saturday, August 3, 2024

Weather, aging, flowers, macrame and -- soup?

 Here we still are


My dry skin and hair love the humidity, so there's that. The heat, not so much.

And with all the various subdivisions of the population massing together for Kamala, there's one I can definitely get behind

I'll be there.

About aging: you're lucky if you manage it, even luckier if you have good health. I hate the expression X years "young". Old is lovely, and I'm not flattered at being assured that young is somehow better.  Speaking as a  person who has outlived the doctors who wrote me off at an early age, I think aging is just fine. 

Yesterday's high heat and humidity resulted in thunderstorms and torrential rain, which saved me from watering the flowers. How's that for an egocentric take!?

And today, new flowers are opening. I planted wildflower mixes as well as recognizable flowers, so I'm guessing at some of them.  




When I was out early, pottering about, there was a shriek and a leap into the groundcover, so I guess our frog population is happy. We have toads, too, but I haven't seen any this year yet.

Speaking of aging and everything old is new again, Tatters is teaching


Let's hear it from everyone who made plant hangers and bracelets and various messy string things way back!


Guilty as charged. Admittedly this piece involved knitting, in string and copper wire, and handmade beads,  as well as the inevitable lark's head knots. I made it in memory of my late great cockatiel, Emily Hope, whose favorite swinging perch is the support.

More in the moment, here's some spinning I did this afternoon. 

I can't spin for long, so I seize the moment. In this cop (yarn on the spindle shaft) there's sari silk waste followed by mixed silk, then wool. I might knit or weave this eventually.


Meanwhile I have a bunch of small amounts spun, waiting for a purpose beyond the pleasure of spinning.

Today, you know the weather, full disclosure, I made chicken soup. It happened like this.  I'd been slicing and picking and generally enjoying the chicken in various forms, and was down to the bones.  

I really didn't want to freeze them for later processing, so I thought, oh well, mad dogs and Englishfolk, and chucked the carcase into a pan with celery and carrots, and simmered it for ages. 

Then, bones lifted out, meat all picked off and back into the pan, bones and skin disposed of,  I blended the contents of the pan, added salt, pepper and powdered milk, and came out with three pretty good helpings of cream of chicken soup. 

It tastes all old-fashioned, and there'll be an evening I'll be glad of it, one of these cooler days. 

On a saner note, happy day everyone, happy Olympic watching and pontificating on 


It's tiring being an instant expert on presidential politics, and multiple sports all at once. Especially sports you'd never heard of before. 







29 comments:

  1. My sister made all the plant hangers. Too much twisting and turning for me. I made a roman shade window blind. It was not only very practical, in a west facing window, but gave me a basic understanding of how blinds worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A window blind sounds more ambitious than plant hangers.

      Delete
  2. My sister in law, my best friend and my brother all died young. I’m sure they would of loved to get old. It’s a privilege denied to many unfortunately
    Early in my marriage with two very young children and little money. I’d buy the carcass from the deli. They sold them four for a dollar. And I’d use those to make a big pot of Greek chicken soup.
    It kept the kids happy for their lunches with a toasted cheese sandwich.
    For many a day
    I used to macramé in the eighties. I might take it up again although I’d have to watch YouTube tutorials to remember how it’s done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, aging is a great privilege. You were a terrific frugal mom, feeding kids very well on a budget. I'm not surprised you've done macrame -- did anyone escape it??

      Delete
  3. As long as the wheels don't fall off, I do love being old. No angst, no effort to be anything but clean and dressed . No demands are made and isn't this the life!
    I loved macrame way back in the more youthful making- of -things days, My boyfriend macrameed a belt for me which I still have but it will never fit me ever again!

    Ms. Harris - I can't wait to vote! I have not been this enthused ever.
    The colors of your spinnings are so gorgeous! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think quite a few of us did macrame on our misspent youth! Or our misspent old age..

      Delete
  4. It's patronising to hear that someone is so many years young and it sounds ridiculous, too. Macramé entertained me for a while many years ago, but goodness knows where all the plant pot holders went. I even, briefly, considered making more recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macrame seems to be around again, for better or worse!

      Delete
  5. Macrame plant hungers (with plants) hung in two windows in my mother’s apartment. For over 40 years until the string started to disintegrate. You couldn’t call them young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have known your mom would have them!

      Delete
    2. In addition to all the tradition creative endeavors, if there was a craft trend, my mother did it. My niece still has the metal lunch box decoupage she made for my sister in 1969.

      Delete
  6. I remember macrame purses, not a good trend. Debby is on her way...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Might as well face up to aging. Can’t change it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Olympic coverage is comprehensive to say the least. I have enjoyed some every day as we swelter in the heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're really getting a torrid summer. Good to enjoy something different.

      Delete
  9. oh macrame! back in the early 70s I played around with it. no plant hangers though. the last project was a narrow but long wall hanging in which I used just about every decorative technique and then never did another thing. still have it, or rather my sister had it and now I have it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was the big craft revival period. Your hanging has lasted a long time.

      Delete
  10. Wait, did you shriek, or the frog?!

    I did my share of macrame back in middle school. One of my school pictures features me wearing a macrame choker. Very '70s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frog! You know that shriek they give as they jump? I think it might be like the kiyip of weight lifters. It sends power to the muscles.
      The seventies have a lot to answer for!

      Delete
  11. I never did one bit of macrame, but had my share of it. I know I'm aged but my brain doesn't seem to acknowledge it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a while you either made or received macrame pieces. All those belts and jewelry and bags and oh, save me!

      Delete
  12. Oh Lord. I macramed one plant hanger and said, "That's enough of that for me." For awhile, when I was about fifteen, everyone got into beading necklaces and bracelets. I did love that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I, too, have never understood the reference of being 'young' when old is something so well earned. As for macrame, it always gave me the creeps, although I did dabble in it back in the day and remember making plant hangers to fit the pots I did in ceramics class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the complete thing -- making the pot as well as the hanger!

      Delete
  14. You are aging in a most inspiring way, Liz. I hope to do so well in a few short years. I've been contemplating making some macrame plant hangers. I hesitate, though, not wanting to put hooks in my ceiling, nor brackets on my walks to hold them. But I have a perfect, singular, south-facing window to hang a few during the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have fairly inconspicuous hooks, and it's a lovely appearance, hanging plants in the window

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.