Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Hear ye! Hear ye! I can! I can! Thrills and spills with little kids, and other wonders.

My first day of interacting with people with the help of Ruth, right ear aid, and Laura, left ear aid,  has proved interesting.  I waited till I'd finished my hair this morning, which involves a lot of water poured through it, to make it wearable, before inserting r and l, because they don't like to get wet. I sympathize.

Then I found that I could hear the old tablet volume fine, the one I'm replacing, because I couldn't hear (!) and the phone, which was audible,  now needs the volume turned down. 

At the mammo and dexa building, I was successful in finding it this time, not wandering hopelessly, as usual,  around the nextdoor, identical, building.  Anyway, there, I could hear all the instructions!! Even when the technician talked as she walked in front of me. Or turned her head away.

The bonescan machine that hovers and beeps over you was really loud, those beeps much more SF and ominous than the polite little murmurs I used to hear.  So I've been missing a lot more than I knew. I don't think I mind missing those beeps, though.

And now I'm up to date, until the next round of labs and visits in September. First, Labor Day and I think chicken salad. Must make mayo.

In other news, in from Israel, here's before


See that large, perfect old clay jar on the right? Then a family with a bright little kid arrived. After


I can guar.an.tee you he moved so fast nobody could catch him.   Also I expect the jar was rare because bronze age four year olds broke all the others.  

The Museum director handled it with great kindness. No blame. They're getting the jar restored, well, at least they know they have all the pieces, unlike many ancient finds. Then it will be back on display, and the family will be invited back to see it all repaired, with a label explaining it all.

Meanwhile here's an item from today's Freecycle


I don't think I want to know.

Happy day everyone, if there's a skeleton in your closet, I know how you can take care of it.









31 comments:

  1. This is very good news! A whole new world of sound has opened for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still at the exciting stage of testing all my usual sound sources and finding they're audible now. A bit tinny, but it's all good.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, e. You're always generous at being glad for good things happening for your friends.

      Delete
  3. What that museum needs is one of those "You break it, you buy it" signs, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray, hooray, hooray!!!!! Enjoy this new adventure with Ruth and Laura :-)

    And hooray for a kind and understanding museum director.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told my audiologist you were talking me through the process, and she was really happy because what I reported to her was so accurate. I didn't name you, but you really have been so helpful and encouraging. Thank you.
      Yes, not suspect that director has curious kids!

      Delete
  5. I would be mortified if one of my kids did that. The poor parents
    Isn’t it wonderful when you realise just how bad one of your senses has been and now you have improved it.
    I was the same with glasses. I didn’t realise how bad my eyes were until I got glasses. I’d definitely been using the force to drive Around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to think what they felt when that thing came crashing down! He tipped it to see inside, which tells you it's pretty big.
      Yes, I'm much deafer than I realized, good thing I didn't postpone getting Ruth and Laura any longer.

      Delete
  6. I saw the jug breakage on FB, which said their was no barrier between them and the public. Find that difficult to assimilate and hope it's rectified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Museum makes a point of not putting certain exhibits behind glass because they want the public to see and experience them better. They don't plan to change that policy.

      Delete
  7. The aid is working for you already. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I applaud the museum's attitude in not making exhibits 'remote', I doubt they have an inexhaustible supply of ancient artifacts. Maybe that's why some museum have copies and keep the originals safe. There is no knowing what future technology may discover from them. History doesn't stand still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are good points. I didn't know we could be seeing copies.

      Delete
  9. Hearing aids make a difference. I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially a birder would appreciate them. Sound is very important in that world.

      Delete
  10. It’s a good thing there’s not a “you break it, you buy it” policy. Poor kid. Poor mother. Something that rare should not be so easily knocked over. There are plenty of safer ways to exhibit without putting it behind glass. I suppose it was pieced back together in the first place, so it probably won’t look dramatically different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it was rare because undamaged. Before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I suppose that losing our hearing is such a slow process that we are able to tell ourselves that we are absolutely NOT going deaf. Sort of like the putting the frog in a pot of cold water situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tend to accommodate, lipread, fill in the blanks, guess, all the above without realizing it.

      Delete
  13. Free cycle has some interesting requests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely seasonal, I suppose.. But I'm surprised they passed it.

      Delete
  14. Oh I bet his parents were horrified! Burke and Hare come to mind for the skull

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking exactly that about the skull. We know creepy things..

      Delete
  15. Yikes! Accidents happen, I suppose, and I'm glad the museum handled it compassionately. Maybe they need to put up some better barriers? Or maybe it's just the cost of doing business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have to be other options not involving glass cases, yes. I expect they're busy designing one.

      Delete
  16. Oh my word - those poor parents! But then again, maybe they're the indulgent sort and little Johnny can do no wrong.
    In the meantime it seems you're making friends with Ruth and Laura and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the parents were probably horrified. And Ruth and Laura are working out pretty well.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.