Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Earthly Possessions, doors and other pests.

 I couldn't find the Anne Tyler novel in my library system, so I found the movie, now old enough to be on YouTube 

An upgrade from yesterday's oldie, Quartet by Somerset Maugham




Amazing cast of current and future stars in this one. A bit slow, trite, but fun to watch.

In the middle of today's matinee, Gary came over to let me know the delayed plan for three of us to replace the battered old doors on our outdoor storage area is on. He and contractor Michael are doing it together. I see my job as staying out of the way, basically, until someone bills me. They're picking them up today.

It totally needs doing. It's in a sun, rain and snow blasted location, and weathers out rapidly no matter how many coats of paint it gets. 

The only doors that fit this opening are really interior doors, not made for weather. So they delaminate fast. 

No, I don't know why the builders didn't make them full-size and install exterior doors.  I'm guessing someone got a deal on interior doors and the tail wagged the dog. We just replace them frequently. My builder brother, Mr OCD, would have roared in disgust at this situation.

Ed. Update: Gary's been all over creation trying to get replacement doors, nothing in the smaller width we need. We'll see what's to do next. 

Tuesday I will be at the condo waiting for the reinspection of the water heater, and hoping the inspector gets there earlyish. Handsome Son is working, so he can't be there. I'll be armed with reading, knitting, tablet etc. I may not make it to yet another knitting group, sigh, unless he gets there before lunch.

This too shall pass. All this too shall pass. I suppose.

They say that one element leading to a long life is social engagement. I imagine that includes running next door on request to check the design of the bathroom door, which I just did, Gary having forgotten it, and he's at the door store.

There are other elements to long life, such as exercise, good food etc. I don't think longevity has much to recommend it unless it comes with good health, though. 

I fired a doctor decades ago because he shouted me down when I said I exercised to stay well, not just to live longer. EVERYONE wants to live longer, he bellowed.  And other such silly stuff. I'm glad my activity seems to be paying off, but I'm lucky, too. It's easy to take credit when your own efforts are really only part of the story. 

Happy day, everyone! Live long and prosper, doing the Spock hand sign.





20 comments:

  1. Here's to aging well. I trust your current doc is on the same page. You sure have lots of mental stimulation in your life, as well as social engagement, with Gary as a neighbor. Sounds like he's back on his feet and making up for lost time.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's impatient to get back his strength, but doing better. My doctor is very much into health rather then illness, understands that's more important than a long but miserable life. As well as an MD, she has a MPH, public health credential.
      I'm very glad to live where I do, in a mixed community, races, occupations, ages, always interesting. I notice sadly that almost all the friends who went into retirement or assisted living communities in good health, broke down in a year or two. I can't help wondering if there's a connection.

      Delete
  2. I hope all went well with the inspection today, Boud.

    Quality of life is important to us for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went fine, to my surprise! Yes, quality, however you define it, makes all the difference.

      Delete
  3. I am glad your inspection happened, and hopefully in a timely manner. Doors in the wrong place (indoor types) always cause problems. Sad design, impractical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Impractical is definitely the word. Especially when they're a non-standard size and you can't find them!

      Delete
  4. Glad to see that it is a little door, because an actual garage door could be quite an expense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No garages in this development. This is a storage closet where people keep stepladders and tools and bric a brac. It also houses the breaker box, so a working door is important.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if Gary could find a solid wood outdoor door and then cut it down to fit? At least one of those would be able to better withstand the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's considering all the options. Cutting down a door has its own drawbacks, but we'll see.

      Delete
  6. I’d have fired that doctor, too. I don’t have much use for ANYONE that says EVERYONE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a bit of a PITA in other ways, too. Handsome and knew it!

      Delete
  7. Would it be cheaper in the long run to have a door specially made? Perhaps too late for that suggestion.
    Quality of life and engagement with many different ages and stages, not necessarily friends, makes life enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're still conferring about the door. I'll keep you posted. Variety of neighbors is a great part of making life interesting, I agree.

      Delete
  8. Glen would also throw a fit about those doors. Knowing him, he'd probably end up making new doors that he thought were more appropriate.
    Aging well...I do think you've figured out many of the elements. And you do it with grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we may end up with new doors. But they have to comply with hoa regs. At least we'll get them to tell us the exact color to paint them. Thank you for the nice words about aging.

      Delete
  9. I'm totally lacking in the socialization part of aging well. You are hitting all the right buttons and I am glad for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not totally! There's a husband and son and a neighbor in your social circle.

      Delete
  10. Oh, yeah, that door situation IS ridiculous. Don't they make interior doors out of anything other than wood laminate -- plastic, maybe? Not sure how well that would weather either, though. (Plus, plastic.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doors have to be paintable to HOA colors, so the material needs to be something you can paint. Sigh.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.