Sunday, August 18, 2024

August walking and orphans

 Today's walk took me back to the pond, a bit harder to get through the trees now bent down with overnight rain.

The air was full of dragonflies and other insects probably getting a banquet of gnats after the storm. 

Across the pond was a contingent of the flocks of Canada geese we deal with, here eating the golf course and no doubt pooping copiously all over it. They're protected and very prolific breeders, so we're not entirely enthusiastic about seeing them around 


Berries ripening for the birds



 There are fungi showing up, sometimes bitten into, a sign of early fall, though the hollow tree where I find lichen doesn't have any yet.


And here's a plant I can't identify, at the edge of the trees 

Maybe the buds will open helpfully and we'll know. Meanwhile if you already know, please speak up.

Elsewhere there was talk about rescuing plants and I realized that all of my collection are either rescues, from the dumpster like the ancestor of this third generation plant

or friends who didn't know how to handle them. 

Like this 

 I think the only houseplant I ever bought was the ficus now in residence at the library.

And on the patio, the developing hibiscus bud collected rain in its cup overnight 

Not long before a new blossom bursts out.

Someone asked me recently about English paper piecing, so in case they're reading here, here's a pillow I pieced by hand a while back 

Today's reading is 

Old fashioned attitudes and language but still good reading, especially since Peter Wimsey's mother appears, bringing wonderful dialogue,  and there's an indomitable old lady, the mother of the accused. They hit it off fine.

Happy day, everyone, between the walking and the allergy meds, the season in full swing again, I think I'll rest my eyes soon..

Handsome Son has asked to finally celebrate his birthday on Thursday this week, weather permitting. This means if it's great shore weather we'll reschedule! Those days are precious.






 

22 comments:

  1. Canada Geese are messy creatures, indeed, but I always enjoy seeing them. You can't beat Dorothy L Sayers for a good story, despite the somewhat outdated attitudes and mores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her characters are very prejudiced, yet the funny parts are still funny.

      Delete
  2. Everybody likes Canada Geese at first until it becomes apparent what a pain in the ass they really are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've destroyed a lot of parks around here, impossible to keep paths clear enough to walk. They're not popular.

      Delete
  3. I remember trying to walk Yale golf course without stepping in the leavings of the Canada geese. An impossibility. What a mess. Beautiful photos. I love rescuing plants. San Geraldo, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, anyone who's experienced the impact of a flock of geese understands why they're not loved.

      Delete
  4. your mystery plant looks like a wild onion or garlic to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll sniff it next time I'm around there.

      Delete
  5. Have the temps dropped now? Our temperatures are slowly getting better
    You can definitely feel spring in the air
    I hope you get to celebrate with your handsome son

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a walk after the rain! The geese must be a real nuisance on a golf course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pinch a bit of that plant and smell it. My app says it's garlic chives.
    I am looking at a pot of monstera plant right now that is my third or fourth cutting from a dump plant. I have a feeling at least one of my cats may have come from there too which would explain a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first cat was found in a dumpster! I have history. I think you're right, that wild plant is an allium.

      Delete
  8. I wonder why the geese are so protected. Maintenance cleans our main park daily, but they are still a nuisance. I mean, what numbers are sufficient for the geese? I'm just wondering and not really in a fowl [sic] mood over this. 😇

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was some damfool idea decades ago, I believe, when they were still migratory. Now they've become resident, and the same protection applies.

      Delete
  9. I couldn't get into Dorothy Sayers though it was a long time ago that I tried. Maybe I should have another go. The Harris Walz campaign seems to be gaining ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sayers is a niche taste. Did you like the tv dramatization? Not the one with Ian C, the good one with Ralph P.

      Delete
    2. Edward Petherbridge not Ralph.

      Delete
  10. A little hidden shroom. I love that find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had an over-abundance of Canada Geese in the park between us and the river until they planted some sort of ugly shrubs all along the water. The shrubs keep the geese out (oddly, because you'd think they'd just fly over top) but they are not nice to look at. Why they didn't choose something that at least had pretty foliage or even flowered instead of looking like a bunch of green sticks defies logic.
    I'm thinking the mystery plant might be garlic chives - and those are the seed pods after they flowered.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.