Sunday, August 25, 2024

Flowers and fashion

 Happy Sunday! With flowers from the patio 

And a stroll down memory lane.

Here's a shot of London in the 50s, when you made your summer dresses, some of these very recognizable as Simplicity patterns. In fact I made dresses like these. I was a teen then.  


Then, way back, in the early 1900s, my  mom was about six when this movie was shot, very likely dressed like the pinafored little girl you see, far left, with her older sister.

Some changes. 

My birth order mirrored my mother's. Both the youngest, with three older sisters and three even older brothers. Both had favorite brother killed in combat. Both had one older sister with two children, one unmarried. But when it came to our own children, big difference. She had nine, I had one! In fact my entire generation of sibs had a total of nine children. So I guess replacement sort of factored in.

Happy day, everyone, but who's counting. This afternoon I'm taking part in an online political forum looking at the current US voting outlook, with insider people who know what's happening, and are there, seeing events around the country.

Meanwhile

Just like the August bank holidays of my youth. Grasmere is in the Lake District, Wordsworth country.

And today celebrates


If you're interested in goddesses and ancient mythology, go to the blog of Debra, She Who Seeks. She's very knowledgeable and definitely worth a follow.

Coda on birthday chocolate cake -- large slice went to Gary yesterday, he loves chocolate cake. He advised me about the valve handle, possibly simple fix, handsome son now on it, and the ongoing saga of the storage area doors. Stay tuned!

And if you're a US knitter or crocheter thinking about cool weather projects, consider this. I've done a lot of blanket squares for them, nice people.











27 comments:

  1. Very cool on making dresses. One day I decided to make shorts and a hair scrunchy to go with. That's fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the way to get what you want to wear, not what some store buyer wants to sell you.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your memory lane stroll. Those were the dresses of my mother, except she didn't make them. I hope Gary's advice gets the valve fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I expect American fashion was influenced by the New Look of Dior, too. The longer skirts, bias-cut to flare, small waists, all that.

      Delete
    2. Yes, they were. My mother was fashionable.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out, Boud! And hurray! Yes, I will celebrate Ops, the Goddess of Plenty, today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I was pretty sure she'd be on your radar

      Delete
  4. I made my own dresses as a teen too. For some reason it was a popular thing to do. I even made a prom dress! It was beautiful.
    You do so many good things, Liz. I really respect that so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised you made your own dresses, Mary. And thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  5. Opiconsivia! How could I have forgotten? Your flower arrangements always lift my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, old Opie! The original poster couldn't identify the painter. If anyone can, I'll credit them.

      Delete
  6. Such an eclectic range of subjects today - as always but possibly even more exotic and unusual from you - cat ladies for Kamala? Dressmaking, chocolate cake and DIY, family sizes, Roman goddesses and British ban holiday weather.... The photos I have just been sorting had generous quotas of those pinafores lassies from the first decade of 20th century, and lads in lace collars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love looking at the fashions from the past.
    Everyone looked so nice dressed up to go out
    Now it’s cheaper to just buy the stuff that’s made in China, or Bangladesh or wherever they can hire cheap labour.
    Sad reqlly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did dress up more, not much casual clothing then.

      Delete
  8. It is hard to imagine what it must be like to be in such a large family. With three siblings, my sister has one daughter, one brother no children and my other brother, three, who have three, three and two, that is quite enough to keep up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what you're used to. When I was first married and cooking for only two I had to be restrained from boiling entire pans of potatoes etc, so used to large prep.

      Delete
  9. How I remember my childhood clothing. Mom made everything except our underwear and socks. As did I, all through college and marriage and motherhood. My girls were in junior high before we shopped for jeans and shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandmother and mother made dresses like those. I wore less dresses growing up than they did though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At that time, pants for women were rare and not approved!

      Delete
  11. I loved seeing the movie and photos. So wonderful to hear more of your earlier life. Love your fall flower arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amuses me to see the fifties portrayed as pretty much ancient history, when I remember things like making my own clothes and what the weather and the food were like. I'm glad you liked the glimpses.

      Delete
  12. What a change in fertility in three generations. Ours changed significantly from my great grandparents to my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More likely a change in managing fertility.

      Delete
  13. My mother made her own dresses using a pattern similar to that one. She only ever used one pattern and she never wore slacks/pants or anything BUT that one dress. If my dad forced her to buy a new dress (and it was a chore!) she always wanted the exact same style and was quite miffed if she couldn't get it. She was a creature of habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like her personal uniform! Certainly cuts down on indecision.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.