Sunday, August 4, 2024

After the rain, the bites

A couple of brief trips out to see the flowers between rainstorms, yielded 

Thyme really thriving with heat

Next to it the potatoes coming along 



And the really successful recovery of the curry leaf plant, which had dropped all its branches and I thought it was done for.

Then suddenly it put out new growth and now I have pretty much a new plant. Since I use these leaves in cooking a lot, it's great to have them doing well. This pot comes in and becomes a houseplant in winter.


And finally the zinnias and giant marigolds are getting under way. They were just foliage for ages, but after all, there will be flowers.

Also the mosquito population was late this year and is now all set to devour whatever human is available.  As I can attest.

Since the campaign season is in full swing, and we'll soon know who's the VP pick, here's a handy chart for people in red states who may run into voting obstacles. You need to check the number for your state for accuracy, just in case. Bookmark this if it's useful. 


I'm looking at a new recipe from Yeung Man Cooking, involving chickpeas and rice, mushrooms, tofu and other items. I've added miso tofu and soy sauce, also oyster mushrooms, to my Misfits order this week. 

And I need to make red chili oil. New adventure.  I'll use the long red pepper I got a while back. They're spice (Latin piper), like white or black pepper, not the vegetable type peppers you grow.  English is confusing on this point.

Will's approach seems laborious and complex, many stages, but it's really only about half an hour in real time prep.  And I've had great results every time.  He's plant based, maybe vegan, I don't know the fine points, but he just presents great food without preaching. Quite a relief from vegans who can't stop going on about it.  

People do tend to get evangelistic about food. And a bit specialized. I remember with glee the American friend who told me the local restaurant where I'd had great Indian food wasn't authentic. Unaware that the cooks were Indian and I'd been introduced to it by Indian friends who said it was very much Indian home cooking, not Western restaurant Indian! 

And don't get me started on Chinese restaurant food, tailored to Western tastes, and when you go with Chinese friends, they order real Chinese food,  nothing from the menu!  To each their own, eat what you like, but let's not get all dogmatic about it.  Knowledgeable is good, I love to learn from people who know, but that's not the same as presenting as an arbiter of what's authentic. 

Off my soapbox for a moment, you'll be glad to hear, here's some visual relief



On Olympic news, in case you hadn't seen this yet, just FYI 


Transgender is fine. Using the word  as a slur to damage a great athlete? Not fine. 

The original boxer who brought the storm about has also apologized and said she was hasty, just seeing her Olympic dream go away in a few seconds in the ring with a better athlete, and hugely regretted her words.  

And on a happier note 🎶

Happy birthday to e!! And many many more! Stay safe from Debby, the storm, not Debbie the great Dem candidate











20 comments:

  1. Growing plants and hatching mosquitos! Can't be more summer than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually forget mosquitoes when it's not summer!

      Delete
  2. I worked with someone who had never left the US but was an authority on every country because she had traveled the world at “Epcot Center.” I now wonder if that included the cuisine. We don’t have the same level of mosquito problem here on the beach, but it can still be so unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very likely she "knew" other countries the way people do after a ten day coach package of Europe.

      Delete
  3. I guess some people do get evangelical about food. Meanwhile, I was out early for a photoshoot with Sue. We got a takeout breakfast from McD. I enjoyed it. So you see, I am very plebeian. 🤓

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been a bumper crop summer for mosquitos and black flies. If the humidity doesn't send you running for shelter, they will. Your plants are thriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep feeling I should be out in the lovely air. A few bites reminds me to keep it short.

      Delete
  5. the mosquitoes here are horrid. Beryl blew in the big black salt marsh mosquitoes from the coast that we don't usually get here.

    my grandgirl Jade is vegan but not preachy about it. my know it all brother who thinks being vegan is akin to religion thinks she's unhealthy (she's not) simply because she's vegan, but she became so because eating meat and animal products caused her to have stomach issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect I know vegans who quietly choose their food without shouting about it. It's the evangelists you get tired of. They do push it like a religion. It's a matter of studying what suits you.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I saw the words of support for Khelif from the Italian boxer. I thought it was admirable that she tried to make the situation right. I'm surprised the Globe made a mistake like that, but all it takes is one editor making an assumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was grounded in ignorance. Algeria doesn't recognize trans, nor same sex. She literally couldn't have got a passport unless she was always female. I notice the other transphobes who jumped in, and who have so far failed to retract and apologize. Navratilova, Evert, Rowling and others.

      Delete
  7. Mosquitoes have eaten me alive this summer. Taking the dog outside for two minutes and I come in with numerous bites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they probably ride in on the dog, to continue dining!

      Delete
  8. I hadn't heard that the Italian boxer had apologised. That's good. It has turned into a topic everyone has an opinion on, whether factual or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Factual or not! That sums up a lot of the public discourse.

      Delete
  9. When we ordered supper from the Thai restaurant in Roseland for the second time, I asked if they could do a green curry with tofu which was not on the menu. "We do that," the lady assured me. "Fried or steamed tofu?"
    Oh, it was so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking. You need to know things to be able to do that.

      Delete
  10. Good thing birds like mosquitoes because they certainly aren't fun for humans and other animals.
    I learned from our Taiwanese-born daughter-in-love that the so-called 'Chinese food' offered in most restaurants, isn't. She and our son take us for the real deal when we visit, plus she cooks some of her favourite dishes for us. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you learn what's really authentic from someone who knows the culture, as opposed to restaurants catering to the unknowing public

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.