Monday, August 19, 2024

Lost and found tools and pruning

 I've been thinking about pruning the Japanese maple of a lot of tiny dead branches and some interior ones growing across each other. It's good to keep a tree open so it doesn't get top heavy, to be felled by storms. Spaces for wind to get through are good. And it's better not to have branches crisscrossing and wearing off the bark where they rub together.

So yesterday I went to get the long handled secateurs, the only garden cutting tool I can use now because my hands no longer have the strength to open and close the blades of one handed clippers. These use two hands. Also I can reach with them.

My tools are all in the outdoor storage which I leave unlocked so anyone can borrow and return anything. They usually let me know, and return promptly.

Anyway I went to get them yesterday and there they weren't. Ah. Somebody probably using them. I tried again today. Not back yet. 

So I called Gary and it all came as clear as anything does with him. He'd lent his own clippers to his daughter, then when a neighbor asked him, he lent her mine, nobody realizing I didn't know. He retrieved them from the neighbor, and I was back in business.

Here's the tree, looking much less burdened 

As you see, I left some small branches so it wouldn't look too stark. But, also as you see, it's still casting a nice uncluttered shade. 

I picked a few flowers from my flower corner 



Still some to enjoy outside though.

This afternoon's skies were fast moving and changing, rain coming later


And the little weaving is now on its own page in the fabric book. More to come.


The running stitches make a frame and there's going to be more parts to it. As soon as I think them up.

I've had to reluctantly order a new tablet. The brightness function has been fluctuating wildly for weeks, and the max volume is suddenly very low, alternating with cutting out completely. 

Considering it's been running almost continuously for three plus years, this isn't bad.

It's my chief form, with my low end phone, of internet communication, so it's important especially now,  with a lot of political meetings online that I'm taking part in. Not exactly a fun purchase, but let's hope the replacement is audible anyway. 

I've been running both devices at once in meetings, the phone to hear and speak on, the tablet to read from. I'm hoping to reduce this to one device at a time.

First world requirements. 

Happy day everyone! Whatever it takes.








28 comments:

  1. Pruning is quite therapeutic. Locating the secateurs isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been going to prune the maple for a while, and studied the branches to decide which to cut. That took longer than doing it.

      Delete
  2. So glad you found your secateurs. It doesn’t usually work out that way. I prefer cleanly pruned Japanese maples like that. They’re just meant to be open to show off their grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think they're meant to look full and bushy. I like it better now. I'll probably do a little bit more after frost.

      Delete
  3. Do you have a computer too? I assume so, for doing the blog the way you do would be difficult. Perhaps it would be possible, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. That's far beyond my budget. What you see me doing is perfectly possible since I've been doing it for many years! People don't get using what you've got, maybe ;)

      Delete
  4. Your Japanese Maple looks happy with its trim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much more cheerful now. I like the lines much better.

      Delete
  5. I think that the long-handled secateurs in my possession can walk themselves to different places on those long handles of theirs. This is the only explanation I can find of why I can never find them. They seem to especially love walking to my husband's truck and hiding in the back seat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the tree. The shade is perfect for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works better now the branched aren't clashing together, still plenty of shade.

      Delete
  7. my long handled pruners are my most used garden tool. it's the small one that I frequently lose track of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I'm small I need those long handles.

      Delete
  8. You did a fine job with the maple. Your new fabric book page looks lovely and it's so good to know Gary is still up to his Gary-ness! I'm back to using a desktop. They seem to last forever. I hope I haven't jinxed myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My laptop aged out years ago, so I do without.

      Delete
  9. "Spaces for wind to get through" that's something important I never thought of with my cottonwood tree which is in the path of sometimes very strong winds. I had my helper trim the top and make it a huge bush instead, which works for this tree, but wouldn't for all trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trees that go down in storms are those without spaces. To keep them it's better to open them a bit. The taller they are the more at risk if they're top heavy.

      Delete
  10. You are clearly restrained in your pruning. I inherited some gene from my father that starts pruning and ends badly (for the plant).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden looks so pretty. Kind of Gary to lend out your tools!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought it was nice of him! He wanted to do the pruning for me, but I explained I'd enjoy doing it myself.

      Delete
  12. I admire your trusting approach with your tools, in a sort of idealistic way, but I wouldn't do it myself. Mrs. Kravitz would borrow them and I'd never see them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In decades I've only had one tool vanish, when someone said he'd lent it on, and the friend never returned it. He was so embarrassed that he replaced it with three similar tools, adding them to the collection!

      Delete
  13. Good job on the pruning. I bought a pair of secateurs that have a spring loaded action. It makes using them so much easier. They were a bit pricy but I’ve had them for well over ten years. They have earned every cent I paid for them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tools last a long time if they're cleaned and not left out in the rain.

      Delete
  14. I'm sure you will enjoy your new tablet once you figure out the new features that no doubt will be included.
    We tried to grow a Japanese maple in our previous garden but they don't much like our climate (or perhaps it was just the spot where we wanted it was the culprit). Yours looks so pretty and I'm sure it gives you a lot of pleasure both from inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tree I rescued from being tossed, and it's done well. They do generally like our climate. Maybe your summer is a bit short.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.