Saturday, August 10, 2024

Red chili oil and apres storm

This was an interesting journey, making red chili oil from scratch. It's going to be an ingredient itself, but first, to make it.

One of the pleasures of working with spices is the wonderful series of smells you experience. This is one reason, a  chef told me, why she wears whites and hats. To avoid getting  hair and  skin permeated with the scents. My house was a different story.

Anyway here's the deal.


I didn't have the kind of pepper Will Yeung uses, so I subbed my red long pepper, which is hot and very fruity. I needed five tsps, so I used the grinder. 


And here's the cast of characters, scallions, garlic, red onions, hot peppers, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, ginger, long red pepper, salt, all smelling like a symphony 


Toasting the spices 


Cooking in avocado oil 


Adding in the spices 


Straining the solids, which are now frozen for future use, since they're far from exhausted. 


And here's the result, stick of cinnamon left in to continue flavoring the oil.

Yeung makes a much bigger recipe, but I cut it to one third, figuring this is enough for now.

This is an ingredient for several recipes, worth the advance prep when I was in a mood for it.

Today Debby has moved on, leaving evidence 


Puffballs 

A lot of downed foliage, trees bent down with the weight of water. The pond was very high, all the banks now submerged, so I couldn't see frogs, probably under water.

Twigs in camo

On the patio 


New friends appearing. I have a lot more foliage than flowers, but when they appear, they get a warm welcome and pictures 


The thyme is flowering.

This is such a good time, after a storm, the trees swept clear of dead branches, flowers continuing, unconcerned. 

Happy day, everyone.  Enjoy your plans for the day.

Here's a summery thing for Escher aficionadas




25 comments:

  1. I can’t have chilly any more. Even a store bought chilly oil affect my poor tummy
    I used to eat so much of it.
    The rain must be nice after so many hot days

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love playing with chilis and spices and making sauces and all kinds of fun things like this. Very, very fun and tasty. Love that you froze what's no exhausted for later use. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really for all the senses. I've always liked making sauces.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the Escher! That’s some recipe. It was beautiful and must be delicious. Glad Debby has moved on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like the Escher. And the oil is definitely worth the process.

      Delete
  4. Spices really are the slice of life. We had Jalfrezi chicken for dinner last night where spices run rampant around the palette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The oil looks sounds so good. I can almost taste it! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good, and lasts a while since only a table spoonful is enough for a sauce ingredient.

      Delete
  6. You certainly have adventures in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a small amount of red pepper flakes is about as hot spicy as I get and even then I have to winnow out the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different tastes. I prefer Asian spices to Mexican, and handsome son loves Mexican!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad Debby is past and the landscape is recovering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I. It's a good time when the worst is gone.

      Delete
  9. That looks like an excellent recipe and worth the effort. I've never made anything like that but have taken to making a "chili crisp" condiment which is very simple and has many fewer ingredients. I'm sure it's not nearly as good as your oil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to hear more about that. You make great food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another learning experience in the kitchen. I imagine you have an aromatic house after doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. The long red pepper scent is very pleasant, kind of woody and fruity.

      Delete
  12. So that is why a chefs traditional uniform is jackets and hats? I assumed they were to protect their clothes, and to keep hair out of food. Whatever the reasons, it's a cool and clean appearance, but it all looks so incredibly hot to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several reasons. Kitchens are hell to work in.

      Delete
  13. I can only imagine how wonderful your house must smell! Enjoyed seeing the puffball....we love them but haven't been able to find any for a couple of years. Glad you were safe in the storm and that there wasn't too much damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puff balls are a regular post rain feature around here. Old trees are evidently a friendly site for them.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.