Friday, August 16, 2024

Name this flower

 Is this flax? About 18" tall, narrow leaves, five petals in clusters.

This is what happens when you strew wildflower mixed seeds and get results you like and can't identify.

I spent a quiet afternoon on the deck, reading and trying to identify little blue flowers and watching a cardinal and a house finch bobbing about the butterfly bushes. There were silver spot butterflies and those tiny brown ones, blue dragonflies and bees of all nations, right overhead. 

If you sit quietly a while, you get to see a lot of wildlife, who seem to think this unmoving human is maybe like patio furniture, not threatening.

One time a wild rabbit came and sat close for about an hour. Female solidarity.

I recently experienced the equal and opposite of postponing a job forever then it takes two minutes. I was reading my Barbara Pym, when I suddenly thought I'm going to mop out the cabinet where the garbage and recycle goes. 

It's under the knife drawer, never gets noticed, nor thought about. About five minutes later I was back in my book, cabinet mopped, dried, even the insides of the doors, and wondering how that happened, what suddenly overcame me? I hadn't even thought about cleaning it.  It looks light years better now.

Thursday's supper was diced yellow potatoes, microwaved then roasted with cheddar cheese, chili oil generously sprinkled. No pictures, not photogenic, but whoa Nelly, was that good. Hot but great flavor, cheese  all crackly, definitely going to do that again. That long red pepper flavor in the chili oil is just the best. Chili oil is really worth the trouble of making it. 

I made it to Friday knitting group, and we were pretty colorful 




Chat ranged over destination weddings, bridezillas, crocheting large sweaters for large fiances, sense of direction, scanners, medical websites, HOAs, weather, Chinese husbands, comp time, eyeglasses for Haiti and more.


Happy Friday everyone, enjoy the weekend
 




31 comments:

  1. As usual, your knitting group conversation sounds so interesting to me.
    You are exactly right about sitting quietly in nature. We truly have to become still and silent to begin to see all the things happening around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think women's conversations are the most varied and fun, just all over the place. And I only hit the high spots!

      Delete
    2. I agree! Also- my plant ID app keeps telling me that your flowers are Chinese Forget-Me-Not, aka Hounds Tongue. Is that possible?

      Delete
    3. It's possible. It's very pretty, whatever its name.

      Delete
  2. Sorry I don’t know what that flower is. It’s very pretty just the same
    What is that colourful knitting going to be? I looks very loud lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stripey one is a sweater in progress. Colors chosen by the recipient.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a lovely day. I totally relate to finally doing a task I have ignored forever and it taking a ridiculously short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new colourful sock you're starting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to say it's the second sock of the pair.

      Delete
  5. That's a flax flower, sure as that cat is pushing the elephant off the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see your sock will have a mate. Knitting group conversation sounds especially fun and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those potatoes sound amazing. I really struggle to sit still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were definitely worth the trouble of making the chili oil. I can be still outdoors where there's so much to see. Indoors not so much.

      Delete
  8. The potatoes and cheese sound so good and you know, I didn’t know what I was going to cook today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe now you do. It's really good as well as simple. If I'd had pickles, they would have been good with it.

      Delete
  9. Always interesting conversation at the knitting group. I watched turkeys with turklets roaming the yard yesterday. Many of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We rarely see wild turkeys, probably because of building on their habitat. It's a treat when we do.

      Delete
  10. I disagree with Joanne. Not flax and a google image search confirmed. looks like forget-me-not to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do forgetmenots grow so tall? Those I've known were more short, mounds near the ground. Hm. Thanks for checking.

      Delete
  11. Yes, I disagree on the flax as well. I think it's a forget-me-not of some type.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look like our forget-me-nots in colour and shape. Yours are taller and ours have a yellow centre. But another blogger, Vicki, has called similar flowers forget-me-nots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm in the forgetmenot camp. Chris might add her expertise st some point, too.

      Delete
    2. Just catching up (took a Nepali couple camping last night, their first time ever. Great fun!) - I'm in the forget-me-not camp. Flax has extremely different leaves.

      Delete
    3. Thank you. I was hoping you'd add your expertise.

      Delete
  13. I used to teach a one-hour class called "Being A Stump", about doing exactly what you described. In my experience, it takes about ten minutes of stillness before the first wildlife forgets you're there. Not everyone enjoys sitting still, but even more people feel like they shouldn't. Must Keep Busy! The class gave them "permission" to try it, and some really, really enjoyed both the peace and whatever wildlife passed by. And some students fell asleep, which was fine too.

    My recent "being a stump" sessions on our back patio have included hummingbirds feeding on our honeysuckle and salvia within arm's reach. So fun! Amazing small beings, who live life at a very different speed than I do.

    Chris from Boise

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful. Yes, permission to just sit, that's important. It's so different from our daily pressures to be active and productive at all times.

      Delete
  14. I'm thinking that plant is forget-me-not but I'm no expert. If it is, it will self-seed and spread out. Must say I always enjoy reading about the topics covered in your knitting group!

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.