Sunday, May 19, 2024

Busy day for better and worse

 I'd decided to make sausages rolls, my mom's way, small, rolled and sealed with pinching, no egg wash. Not the doorsteps with a handle on of the Budget Baker. But he gave me the idea, so there's that. 

Also the apricots were soaked and all plump for the cake.

So I embarked on a marathon of baking. I made my yogurt based pastry, always just crisp enough but not all flakes everywhere. I used this for pasties a while back and liked it a lot.

It's years since I made sausage rolls, decades even. Handsome Son will probably have a stroll down memory lane when he tries them.







The sausage is the very spicy plant-based stuff, no need to do anything to it other than shape it and roll it up. Served here with great tender Florida pole beans (!) and pickled red onions.  A dozen rolls, from one roll of the sausage stuff.  Really good too.

Meanwhile I was making the batter for the apricot snacking cake. It uses two sticks of butter but it made 32 pieces of cake, so, when amortized, fine. It's also not very sweet, which I like.


Notice the clean curtains from upstairs while you're strolling round the kitchen.

 
Apricots halved, ready to stud the cake batter. 


This was originally Melissa Clark's Figgy Demerera Snacking Cake. I've used various fruit including plums in the past, but ripe figs aren't a thing here, and I didn't have Demerera so I sprinkled regular white, and I didn't have brandy so I did without.

But it's really good and supplies enough for a battalion or a couple of neighboring kids plus Handsome Son, Gary and me.

In the middle of this I got an alert to tell me the special online lecture on Ndop cloth was not at 1pm, as I'd thought, but at noon.

So I ended up pushing tablet buttons to get screenshots while rolling pastry and sausage and wielding bench scrapers, and generally trying to do several incompatible things at once. 

In the middle of lunch, sausage rolls hot on my plate, while the cake was in the oven, and I'd finally sat down to watch the presentation as planned, a neighbor stopped in.

Gary's in the hospital, sudden pulmonary thing, yesterday morning. They're keeping him three days, he's seemingly doing okay, but everyone is worried.  Neighbor and I may visit tomorrow if he's up for it. Definitely uneasy. 

So I missed a bit of the Ndop program but I think I got the gist for you, and blogged about it in a special post.

Also in the local news 


The scallions are growing!

And I found in reading the current Sacks, that Humphry Davy, the chemist, inventor of the miner's lamp, was also a poet. In his time, early nineteenth century, academic disciplines weren't so separated.

Here's what stunned me 


He had great respect for the elegance and inventiveness of Davy's use of language. And he too was a chemist as well as a poet.

Also a later improved version of the miner's lamp was invented by an ancestor of Oliver Sacks. The stuff you learn from books.

Anyway I did get to sit and stitch, after all this activity today.


I've been dreaming about this book, all kinds of new ideas for stitching the next page,  as well as anxiety about how to construct it! Brain never rests, despite the daily chair yoga.

About which I'm happy to say my hip is much happier, which seems to confirm my thought that's it's the cartilage, not the joint, complaining. Stretching is working. Neck, too, is doing better. All's good. 

Happy day everyone, don't do all the things at once like me. A person gets tired.

39 comments:

  1. Your energy is amazing and makes me feel so lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am exhausted reading about your day. I hope Gary is OK. Who looks after the pup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of relatives available. She'll be well cared for.

      Delete
  3. No! Not our Gary! I hope with all my heart that he will be fine and come home soon. Who's taking care of his little doggo?
    What a lot of baking! When I was scrolling through the pictures I thought, "My, those beans look very familiar." I hope they were not too salty.
    I've never had a sausage roll. Perhaps I should make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's had this happen before, so we're hoping for a good outcome again. Billie the pup has plenty of relatives to be with. The beans were not at all salty, just tender and fresh.
      Try sausage rolls, maybe with the hunted meat in the freezer? I think you do grind some of it?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I think he was a little kid when I last made them! He'll probably prod one and ask what's this, then?

      Delete
  5. I have to try your sausage rolls... looks really good, just like your apricot cake.
    I baked milk buns with small chocolate pieces in the dough...
    Fingers crossed for Gary. All good wishes.
    A warm greeting goes to you. Viola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry, I couldn't possibly do all the things at once, like you! The sausage rolls and cake look really good. If good thoughts help, Gary has mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like sausages and sausage rolls, but I seem to almost alone amongst the people that I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto what everyone has said, wishes that Gary feels 100% soon. I've got a huge sealed bag of dried apricots. Do hope they taste good, and now there's a cake which I could put some on. But I don't have Melisa Clark's recipe...hint hint. I have the butter, and regular sugar, and no brandy. I'm ready to bake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the title. Demerera Figgy Snacking Cake you can find it online, I expect. It's really worth making

      Delete
  9. What a busy day! I'm so sorry to hear about Gary. I hope he recovers promptly and you get to visit him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's doing better today, and we did get in The day was busier than planned, not good organizing.

      Delete
  10. Well, I think I want dinner at your house! Between sausage rolls and apricot cake I know at least one happy camper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have a stash of easy food available. Tonight tuna melt!

      Delete
  11. Sausage rolls are my favorite hand held snack or dinner or breakfast - anytime really.
    That is one thing I miss about the market on spider street in London. I might try to make them but they would not be as good I am sure. I miss bangers and mash and I miss good cups of tea. I guess i miss the entire package! So sorry to hear that Gary is not 100%.
    You handsome son is a lucky man! I am so jealous of your energy and doings and having your son nearby. Mine may as well live on Mars!
    The cloth page you are stitching is fabulous! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make a good cup of tea. Twice a day! No teabags, nasty things. These sausage rolls are pretty good and, as you say, practically any meal.
      Yes, it's nice that my son's a friend and local. I'm lucky that way.

      Delete
  12. I hope Gary is ok and gets out in time to enjoy some cake! It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty in the freezer. He won't miss out.

      Delete
  13. If I did all the things at once I’d end up putting the tablet in the oven instead of the sausage rolls lol
    Hope Gary feels better soon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best wishes to Gary. I hope he will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a day! I read tomorrow's post already (yay time travel, or at least time zones), am glad to hear that the preliminary news on Gary is positive. Pulmonary whatevers (clots? embolisms?) is very scary.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no! I hope Gary will be okay and home again keeping an eye on everyone as he's so good at doing. I'm sure we're all rooting for him.
    Looks like you had another of your 'never a dull moment' days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadm does seem to be a regular ingredient of my life.

      Delete
  17. Playing catch up again - scary stuff for Gary, such an active guy suddenly knocked down by heart stuff! Your stitching is looking lovely, and I can't get my gead around how you do two or three kinds of baking AND take in a podcast thing. Really interested to see the scallions are regrowing. Keep us posted on those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His heart is fine. One lung isn't. He's been there before. So we're hopeful now that he's feeling better.
      My whole life has been about multitasking, so now theyre all things I've chosen and like, it's more like fun

      Delete
  18. Another fantastic stitching project. I love that you are so inspired with this book! It will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great stitching adventure. I'm really liking it.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.