Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Textiles and Tea, Tuesday knitting

Textiles and Tea this week featured  Marcia Weiss, an accomplished weaver in linen, making ikat and double weaving. 

You know how a book can be very good but pale against a much better one you read right before? I think this weaver came off less notably, because I'd seen a lot of the current Barbican exhibit. Their passionate energy and drive left this work looking much less lively. 

But she's great and here are the slides she showed -- more tell than show this week -- so she gets her due








Earlier I'd gone to the knitting group and a favorite friend was the other participant, along with the librarian. She was continuing the red sweater she's been on a while, I was socking, and doing a bit on the pin loom. I found I weave better when I'm not chatting.  

The librarian immediately looked  up pinlooms, new to her,to learn more, would like one like mine, but was daunted to see vintage ones are not in great supply, and modern plastic ones are more expensive than you'd think.

We talked about making your own using a picture frame, tapping in brads in the pin pattern. The other participant, D, is all for making your own tools!  That way you could make any size of square.

Chat ranged over Portugal in September, Malta now, starting scallions, helping reluctant parents declutter, summers off, jury duty, shared email addresses, curry leaves, bay leaves, growing tomatoes, rain, tiny knitted sock earrings, ear piercing, birth order, and other topics.  You can have a large conversation in a small group.

Cold and rainy again sigh. But happy day, anyway! I'll keep cheerful with hot chocolate. 




34 comments:

  1. You have the most interesting conversations at your knitting groups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're more valuable than the shared skills, really.

      Delete
  2. Craft groups bring people of different backgrounds together making for very interesting conversations.
    I’m sure there will be a yountube tutorial on how to make your own loom of every sort you might imagine
    Stay warm and dry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are YouTube channels for everything! Likewise groups.

      Delete
  3. Those random conversations sound like a joy. I can’t remember the last time I discussed tiny knitted sock earrings and curry leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SG would probably feel your forehead for fever if you did!

      Delete
  4. 'tiny knitted sock earrings' caught my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were in a novelty knitting book, great fun.

      Delete
  5. The knitting group never disappoints!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love that first woven piece in purple and ochre - could imagine wearing it. That idea of picture frame and brads to make a pinloom is worth thinking about for when I 'have time on my hands'. (as if that might ever happen).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the loom is doable, but I'd use finishing nails, smaller heads, easier removal of weaving. Won't take long. But then you'd have to weave 2,586 squares to test it.

      Delete
  7. The ability to make a frame could come in handy, but that is beyond me, so I crop photos to suit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiny knitted sweaters would make adorable earrings too. And I have some wee knitted gloves that are a Christmas ornament.
    And what IS the deal with shared emails? Not like they cost anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably simpler. Maybe Chris will weigh in.

      Delete
  9. her work is definitely more subtle but I like the blending she does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in her own way, there's plenty to see.

      Delete
  10. That is a large range of topics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normal stream of consciousness in both my knitting groups!

      Delete
  11. It sounds like a wonderful all around. Your group was an interesting bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally find crafty types have a lot of interests.

      Delete
  12. Quite beautiful weaving, even if overshadowed by the Barbican!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much harder, resistant linen fibers, big contrast. But it has something to say, yes.

      Delete
  13. Many times I wish weaving had been on my radar when I was first developing hobbies. I don't think I have it in me to invest in it at this stage of life. So many interesting things to do/make with weavings, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A handheld loom isn't too ambitious. Or a cardboard homemade one. Or --- a pinloom! No need for a giant floorloom to make yardage. Anyway, you'll decide.

      Delete
  14. It sounds like a very interesting group meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ikat weaving, another term from the past. I did that once, with indigo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never had a dull craft group. Hot chocolate makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, craft and art people are wide ranging.

      Delete
  17. I'm always interested to read your report of the various topics of conversation at your groups. I tried a knitting group once and promptly dropped it because the members were all snooty individuals who very obviously looked down upon lowly beginners. I'm sure there are better groups out there but to date I haven't found one. A friend and I joined a writer's group once that was being held at the local women's shelter building. We lasted until coffee break and quietly slunk away. Everyone was required to read a piece they had written out loud and every single one of them was bashing men. Obviously the participants must have all been through a lot and their attitude was no doubt somewhat warranted, but it definitely wasn't a good fit for us happily married sorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry your experience hasn't been as happy as mine. Once in a while a lady comes to the Friday knitting group and finds her attitude isn't considered inclusive and kind, to her surprise. We don't often see them twice. I find library groups are the friendly inclusive ones, definitely not the yarn shop ones.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!