Thursday, May 16, 2024

Misfits, surprises and tea

Misfits arrived today, and I remembered this week to put out the freezer blocks and foil insulated bags for pickup.



Apricots for an upcoming Melissa Clark snacking cake I've made several times. You stud the top with fruit. I've done plums, and I'm proposing to do apricot this time. First to soak them overnight. It makes a lot, all the neighbors will be glad to hear, Handsome Son too 

Strawberries were available at Misfits because too small, but every berry in the container was good, and they were fine.

Small cans of diced tomatoes are my staple for all kinds of meals, until the ripe ones come in locally. 

I was in the middle of the shrimp, black bean  pickled red onion recipe when it arrived. This is why I pickled those red onions last week, so the pickles would be ready.

The official recipe needs corn, which I didn't have, only buy from the farm in season. 

So I subbed chickpeas. And found a container of lime slices in the freezer, few seconds in the microwave and I was able to squeeze out juice. Also needed was lemon juice which I had. Cumin, salt, scallions, garlic, avocado oil. 

I sauteed the shrimp in butter and avocado oil, while the other doings waited in their dressing, made a nice little reduction of the shrimp and garlic liquid, sprinkle of cornstarch, tossed it all together, and lunch was served. With strawberries and yogurt. 

Five star stuff around here today. 

I was doing laundry today, finally took down the kitchen curtains which have been looking desperate for a while, and replaced them with the similar ones from the spare bedroom immediately upstairs from the kitchen. The plan was to hang the kitchen ones upstairs.

All seemed well, chucked everything in the dryer while I stitched. When I opened the dryer door I noticed a lot of fluff. A lot. I thought the curtains must have been shedding, anyway I'd hang them right away.

And found that the middle of one had largely collapsed into a few strands of cotton between top and bottom hems. Impossible to repair, that must have been the fluff I saw. The matching curtain was fine. Mystery. So I hung it in the middle of the bedroom window, trying to look as if it was the design. 

Then this box of surprises arrived 


The canned beans will tell all who love her who was the sender!  Mwah!

Now see over there on the left a stack of linen and cotton hemstitched pieces? They will be my new curtain. Timing!
And here's something in immediate use


Not to mention all the art related ideas I have for the other items. Weaving, stitching, various ideas.

And my tea supplies appeared on the step at the same time, so I was able to make a pot of tea to recover from the curtain debacle and enjoy the new box o' fun.

Nice day. One door closes, another bursts open pouring treats all over.

Happy day everyone, I hope today's a cornucopia for you, too, one way or another.




34 comments:

  1. I know I know! (raises her hand enthusiastically) I recognize those beans!! That is the most thoughtful gift ! so sorry about your curtain- maybe it got most of the sunlight? I have done that before with questionable washables- open the door of the dryer and it was like jiffy pop! If the fluff is nice, you can add it to pulp when you make paper next time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weird thing is that it's one of a pair, both hanging for years in the same west window, same everything. The other's perfect, this one's fluff! Maybe it was substandard all along and finally collapsed.

      Delete
  2. I love your solution for the demise of the curtain panel. My mother had stunning silk lace drapes in her southeastern exposure living room window wall. She realized they had never been cleaned in years, so took them down and hand-washed them in the tub. They completely disintegrated in her hands. Her solution was to live without drapes for the next 25 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chick peas are a much better choice than corn. I don't hate corn but I am just not sold on it. By what went into it, the food sounds delicious.
    Small strawberries here rather than the huge and perfect looking ones in supermarkets, invariably taste better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about strawberries. Big isn't better.

      Delete
  4. A productive day all round. Strange that only one curtain disintegrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to wash the curtains in the kitchen but the fear of them disintegrating has stopped me.
    I’ll have to do it soon.
    You got lots of food there. You’re set for a while now I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may want to have backups ready if you wash those curtains. I'm glad I did.

      Delete
  6. Misfit day is always interesting because of the items in the box and your plans for them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, plans are what keeps the meals interesting. I don't want to lose interest in cooking because of the energy it takes.

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of a cornucopia of surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a tasty sounding meal! So now you've reminded me of spring (it's quick to be over I fear) cleaning needing the curtains washed. They are probably being held together by the dust they've accumulated. Glad you've got some goodies to add to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! How crazy it is to see that Florida seashell in your post! I KNEW you'd find a use for those napkins.
    Another good box of Misfits. Your shrimp and bean dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so enjoying the box of treats! The tiny fabric rose has a future, too.

      Delete
  10. You had a wonderful day, full of good food and surprises. You must be doing something right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess karma is a reward not just a penalty? I like this.

      Delete
  11. did the disintegrated curtain get direct sun? and what a lovely box of surprises from Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great box, still enjoying looking. As I explained earlier both curtains have been in a west window for years together. Obviously afternoon sun on both. One is fine, the other not.

      Delete
  12. I usually tend to buy small size fruit (strawberries, apricots..) as they are much more tastier than those of normal and big size. The same applies to some of the vegetables and legumes ( the big ones are usually genetically engineered and their taste is not natural).
    I've given up on curtains; too complicated at my age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, small fruit can be very good. I buy small apples, same reason. I think you may be onto something about no curtains! I'm leaning that way.

      Delete
  13. You've had lots of surprises this week. I hope you enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recently had a sheet disintegrate. It didn't owe me, being on the bed and in the washer for the last twenty years. Good for you, having a use for the mystery box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that the curtains were from back when tabtop was new and edgy!

      Delete
  15. I'm glad you have back-ups for the curtains! And a plan. Ah, strawberry -- the season has come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local season just beginning but not many yet, too cold and rainy to "put sugar in them" as the local farmer says.

      Delete
  16. I wonder if one of the curtains got a heavier dose of direct sun, which over the years may have deteriorated the fabric? Just a guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see how. Squarely west facing both curtains exposed equally. I think there were flaws in the fabric of one that finally caused a collapse. But I'll never know.

      Delete
  17. Yay for surprises in the mail! How I miss being able to do RAOK's but have had to pretty much stop doing them because of the postage costs. I know you'll put all those treasures to good use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, postage became an obstacle to a lot of spontaneity. But I'm really enjoying these incoming items.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!