Sunday, May 5, 2024

Stitching on a cold wet day

Sunday was cold, rainy and I was back in layers. Ne'er cast a clout till May be out, yes, definitely. 

But it was a great stitching day, with various YouTube channels chatting quietly in the background, Marion in particular sparking new ideas galore, not what she's doing, just the atmosphere of making and her quiet northern voice, my roots calling!


Here are the first two pages, one about chance, one about transparency 


And here's the next page, cut from the linen you saw yesterday, a soft peach pink, probably red onion dye 


Pinned so I can see the outer limits. Size, that is. No outer limits in making.


And here's the palette of colors I'm using for this one 


And the initial couching, roughing in the general idea 


The tree is only anchored with pins right now, and tomorrow I'll be working on it when I finish thinking about it. It anchors foreground, middle ground, background and sky, the usual convention of Western landscapes, which serves me well here.

This is barely begun, and once again the Indian quilting idea has to wait because I need to stitch shapes right now. But there are more pages where that can happen.

When I make the new project bag, the outside will be this linen, there's enough left, and the lining will be pale yellow linen from an old shirt. 

Come to think about it, maybe the bag would be a good place for the Indian quilting, using the linen as the base fabric and cheap and cheerful cotton printed pieces for the patches. Hm. Maybe. 

I'm sure this is wildly exciting to people who don't stitch and are waiting for discussion of the box scores. Happy day everyone, you're not legally required to stitch. They repealed that law a while ago. 

The spag and plantballs was just fine in this freezing weather. I'm making yogurt this evening, maybe soup tomorrow.




28 comments:

  1. It is so enjoyable and enlightening watching your artist mind in action. More, more!

    Rainy and cold out here in the Idaho desert as well. We may be appreciating the current wet a bit more than you, but the cold...it looks like another week of lugging flats of vegetable and flower starts out during the day and in at night. A good evening for soup, of which we enjoyed two kinds.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's interesting to read about what I'm up to. I sometimes wonder. We've had plenty of rain, not really in great need. I'm past saying the land needs it!

      Delete
  2. The palette of colors already looks like a landscape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may change a bit, but I want sparks of color in the fields. I need to consider what stitch will do it.

      Delete
  3. I like the flowing shape of the tree. Go where your fingers take you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This page is especially intriguing, especially the tree (big tree fan here). I'll be interested in how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like we're having the same weather. So fed up of it. Meatballs and tomato sauce sound good right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect the Springsteen gig helped your spirits a bit!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Same here. Just as unknown to me as anyone else.

      Delete
  7. I will be interested to see how you anchor-stitch the tree into place. For some reason, that sort of an addition to embroidery has never occurred to me. YOU'RE A GENIUS!
    And as I was writing this, I heard a huge ripping, cracking noise back by the railroad track and looked up to see part of a dead pine tree breaking off and falling to the ground which it hit with a big thud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can add all kinds of things, once the idea occurs to you! I think this is the mixed media artist brain more than the stitcher brain at work.
      Do I guess since you heard the tree fall, it made a sound??

      Delete
    2. So, not do, my perennial typo.

      Delete
    3. The tree definitely made a sound! One I have come to recognize all too well.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad I'm not legally required to stitch. I can sew on a button or sew up a hole, but otherwise I'd have to face legal penalties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since prison work used to involve stitching mail bags, you'd have been totally done for!

      Delete
  9. What a creative and productive day you had!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your stitching is lovely. I'll be eager to see the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strange how I used to embroider when I was a youngster and young adult and now that I am a senior it holds no interest for me. Of course, years in between of not doing it probably has contributed to my lack of interest. I do appreciate looking at quality work, though. I like your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different ages, different interests. Quite a few older women find they don't have the dexterity to thread needles, create stitches and so on, so I'm doing it while I can.

      Delete
  12. I can see I missed a lot of beautiful stitching you did on that curvy stitch. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm enjoying watching the evolution of your latest stitching project as well as the deconstruction of another piece you've grown unsofondof. And yes, I know that last is not a word but it IS in my Funk & Wagnall's!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!