Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Perfect walking day

 I seized the day, after this morning's COVID booster and before the effects kicked in, to enjoy a walk.




Neighbor's roses

And at home my potatoes are growing at warp speed 

And my lavender is nearly ready, to pick little bunches for neighbors 


This afternoon, I waved my arm about to dissipate the swelling, and stayed home to rest instead of Tuesday knitting. Also to field doctor calls about recent test results. I need to increase one pill, but otherwise I'm fine.

Then I read peacefully on the deck, while various relatives and their dogs showed up next door because Gary's home. He sounds and looks pretty good. Party time!

Textiles and Tea this week was about braiding, which turns out to include, but not be limited to, kumihimo. There's a lot of braiding traditions, and this Brit weaver and braider does research on fibers, embroidery, and creates freeform braiding on various frames.









The last slide shows her at work on a bigger frame, with a smaller one shown at the side. Her very open-minded approach is so happy, light-years different from the rigid rule-bound kumihimo workshop I attended years ago and really hated.  

Holding the little frame in one hand, juggling bobbins with the other, only one way to do it or you were WRONG! I finished the project, not to let it defeat me, then gave the frame to someone who wanted to try it, and I hope she liked it.

But Jacqui is adventuresome, likes to let the  fibers, usually silk, direct the work, and it shows. She's written several books on braiding and embroidery, which are available from her. She commented that if you don't sell through Amazon they list you as out of print, even if you aren't. That was news. I'm guessing her classes are fun, judging from her enthusiasm about it.

She started out in mathematics, but one thing and another, found herself in fiber arts. Where I think she's probably giving more value than as a midrange, non creative mathematician, her own description. A lot of people in weaving have a numbers and science background, probably the planning and symmetry appeals? I'm guessing.

Happy day, everyone, and here's another Haggard Hawks puzzle, which at first I got instantly, dogmatically, wrong!









35 comments:

  1. Jacqui Carey, crazy good! Thanks for the look at her work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's worth checking out. I think you'd love her color and freedom.

      Delete
  2. I would have loved that vest, once upon a time. I was more moldable then. Hmm, also eight letters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that braiding work! The bustier (if that's what it is) is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the design is great, perfectly sinuous to fit the shape.

      Delete
  4. From memory maybe after the second booster shot, I had a minor reaction but otherwise nothing. My seventh will be next month. I guess you always have these reactions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, pretty marked. My immune system takes offence and fights back. The later ones not so severe but I still don't schedule anything for a day or two after. My son gets a slight sore arm, and that's it! Lucky feller.

      Delete
  5. Once again, the Textiles and Tea presenter blows my mind. What intricate patterns! What use of shape and color!

    That HH puzzle - mind-bending too.

    Glad your booster reaction was mild, glad you got out for your stroll, and so glad to hear that Gary's home. Billy-the-Pup will be a good tonic.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good clue! Yes I expect being reunited with B was great. He sounded very happy.

      Delete
    2. I spoke a little too optimistically about your booster reaction, after reading tomorrow's post. Your doughty immune system! I hope Thursday you're back to fine fettle.

      Delete
  6. Glad Gary's home. Is it anything to do with water? I wa listening to a play yesterday by Dodie Smith. Oh, was it something Octopus? I'll check. Anyway, have you read her books?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’d never heard of kumihimo. Done creatively, it’s incredible. Are you making yourself a bustier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the knitting group is a good place to wear it, otherwise..

      Delete
  8. It's odd how we start off in one direction and end up in a very different place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clue there for them as reads with care, nimbly.

      Delete
  9. There I was contemplating the peace of walking by water rand you threw in a curveball - that braiding has completely held my imagination to ransom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exciting stuff, yes.

      Delete
    2. And I might have missed a tricky clue there, too.

      Delete
  10. Wow! What an amazing way to adopt and an adapt an ancient textile form! That halter/bodice is like something from a Disney movie. I am mind-blown.
    I hope your Covid jab doesn't take you under too bad.
    And Gary- hurray! He is home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She calls it a bodice, too. It has a hidden side seam that laces up. You release it, open the bodice and slip it over your head then lace up again to fit. Very clever. It doesn't look real, but it is.
      I'm moaning about my arm and my cough and anything else I can get sympathy for, today. In fact the tiredness is the thing. So I will seize the day and loaf around.

      Delete
  11. After the sneaky clue I believe I got the puzzle. This is a first!! Hurrah, Gary is home! The braiding is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bad luck for you that you have such a reaction - busy immune system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may account for my not having caught covid. At least that's my story.

      Delete
  13. Those first two photos are spectacular, Boud. Layers of nature!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can definitely see the connection between math and braiding or weaving. Her woven garments are spectacular. I envy your 80 degrees -- we're still quite chilly by comparison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the step by step is what weaving braiding and math have in common.
      I'm not feeling the warmth right now, chills from the vax have set in. I'm wrapped in an afghan!

      Delete
  15. We were reminded that we are due for another covid booster so I did the initial registration online where they ask you all sorts of questions and then tell you to notify the needle-pusher that you've done so. Sadly, despite doing all that, they still insist that you sit down and do the same questions all over again before they accept you. Next week we'll get 'er done.
    Lovely weavings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!