Thursday, May 2, 2024

Fountain views, sheep and making drawing sticks

Yesterday was a cleaners day as well as a busy freecycling event. So this meant I went out to the library to do some knitting, work a bit of the public puzzle, and walk around the square.

Near the fountain is a favorite spot for lunchers and there was one young Asian  woman rapidly running worry beads through her fingers. It's a meditative spot with little landscapes in the design.








 Clumps of mint growing round the rim, too.

Home again and all the biggest freecycling items were picked up, leaving me with several boxes to sort. More to go today but now I'm 

It turns out that the fireplace sealing was responsible for the extent of this large amount of winnowing chez Handsome Son.

In case they needed to access the roof, he'd cleared a space in his walk in closet because that's where the roof access is, and once started, figured he may as well keep going! Usually it's one small box now and then.

Out of this large consignment, I scored some black jeans, nearly new, which didn't fit him but do fit me, yay. And they're men's which means great pockets. So that's my fee for service.

About the rare breed sheep, here's a bit more information 

And here's an experiment I am absolutely going to try soon.




Where I live is more likely to be sandy rather than the desirable clay, but I may try a bit of digging in the tree area, because it's relatively untouched by amending, and see what I get.

This artist lives in Montana, different geology, and creates pastel sticks and watercolor from natural materials around her.  I would just like to create a couple of sticks to draw with, always love making my own materials. So we'll see.  

Meanwhile today misfits arrives and, at the local farm, a sign of spring


Happy day, everyone, have new adventures. And




33 comments:

  1. What a lovely fountain in the town square!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really an inspired feature, changes the whole atmosphere to welcoming, instead of dull office buildings.

      Delete
  2. I love the landscape photos. You are a month ahead of our greenery. It is still drab and cold here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've still got this to look forward to. You remind me you're much further north than here.

      Delete
  3. Your town square looks charming and so inviting. Foraged pigment drawing sticks. I never would have thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. I suddenly came across her through a regular newsletter from a fiber artist who's also a painter, and I was all why not? I don't live near the rock formations that she does, but let's see what I can find.

      Delete
  4. What an interesting post. I'm intrigued by the pastel sticks and just love those little mice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have any success I'll definitely write about it. Or if I don't!

      Delete
  5. What a nice park. I am not sure what you call them but I have so much to take to the op shop, opportunity shop, a charity shop that sells donated goods. I think I might have some things to free cycle, but I've never looked at the site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a thrift store. I donate there, too, but it's a bit of a drive. Free cycle can be easier in some ways because the takers come to wherever you designate. You have to do more up front presentation and dealing with emails. And you learn to word your offers in ways that preempt problems.

      Delete
  6. I just love that park. What is it about water flowing and splashing that appeals to us so much? Is it like the sounds we hear in utero?
    Pastel drawing sticks, eh? That sounds very interesting. If anyone can do it, it's you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the water does something to the ions in the air that make people feel good. Or something.

      Delete
  7. You find the darndest projects -- and I mean that in a good, admiring way! I would never have thought of trying to make my own drawing pastels! Love the fountain, and as usual your winnowing and Freecycling inspire me to do more of the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hadn't occurred to me that it was possible till I found this artist who does it.

      Delete
  8. I also love your town square. I have heavy clay soil, but it's black muck. Maybe someone can send you the Georgia red clay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. I wonder what Florida is like inland?

      Delete
    2. Black might make a nice drawing stick. Just sayin.

      Delete
    3. You can have all you want!

      Delete
    4. A small Ziploc bag would do it..

      Delete
  9. Beautiful outdoor spaces...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those water pots in the town square; flowing water is always so soothing. And of course those mice are beyond charming, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good design. And Maggi Rudy is always good.

      Delete
  11. The meditative spot looks rather unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Particularly important to s single woman, it's safe.

      Delete
  12. The pictures are so pretty. I wouldn’t mind sitting there with my crochet and just relax in the sunshine
    Great score on the jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My granddaughter is going to try raku from a clay bank she found in the yard. I'll have to tell her about the drawing sticks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do, and let us know how it goes.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the reminder about asparagus. I’ll visit my favourite farm supply today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty square! That is so far from my imaginings of New Jersey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful state, with farmland, mountains, hundreds of miles of shore. Visitors are amazed and I wonder what on earth they expected.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!