Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Fitness paraphernalia, pinloom weaving and neighbors

 The day started in the gym, as usual.

To wit: tablet set up at April and her Mom, doing chair yoga, Kleenex because concentration makes me sniff, stool in the absence of an armless chair.  What you might call an 'armless set-up. Fine for purpose.

And out walking later, I met a neighbor on her patio, haven't seen her for ages. She has a great setup of miniature raised bed things for an array of vegetables and herbs, gave me a sprig of lavender. 

She's going to try potatoes again after we talked about them, planting only potato peelings. Last year my success with the peelings was as good as with half potatoes. And you still have the potatoes.

Throughout our chat her tiny new Yorkie puppy kept up a high range of shrieks and barks, a canine queen of the night, effortless high fs. 

I learned a lot from reading Highly Processed People, including the fact that, like a lot of famous science writers, he has a few excellent ideas.  They could be a very good long feature article, and he inflated them to book size because marketing. 

Not by padding but by bludgeoning the reader with endless proofs and reasoning around the same few points. He seemed unable to switch off. Still worth reading, though I nodded off around page 6,429.

Then I studied the next chapter of The 1619 Project for this week's book group with a group of Highly Knowledgeable People, need to be ready.

And while I'm considering the next page of the fabric book, speaking of books, I did some pin weaving, managing to make the same mistakes and failing to spot them in time or figure out why. 

This yarn came out like a tartan, appealing.



.

But they're okay anyway. I did better last time, probably because I didn't plunge in thinking I knew exactly what I was doing.. I do like this little loom though, so friendly.

I'm not making anything in particular, just letting my mind wander over stitching ideas while I play.

 The red owie  you may have noticed on my finger is the result of an encounter with the fire irons I freecycled recently, one tool of which closed shut on it, ow.  It looks a lot less lurid now. 

And I seem to have set up another self inflicted potential mixup. You may recall the test I accidentally did recently which showed that mosquito rub doesn't remove stains, when you pick it up in mistake for the similar looking stain remover.

 I dropped the glue stick in the same handy drawer, because it's handy.  I will probably be able to attest soon that glue is ineffective against the itch of mosquito bites.

Happy day, everyone, Tuesday knitting group, to which I'll go in hopes of other people doing likewise. I'll take knitting and the pinloom, change of pace.

And remember anything worth doing is worth doing badly.

Done is better than perfect.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

And other such annoying aphorisms.  I wonder if there's a book with that title.





25 comments:

  1. Finally, aphorisms I can own! I love the tartan weave. I would NOT put the glue stick in that drawer with the mosquito stick. A guaranteed disaster in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the tartan - very fetching.
    Ah, yes, chair yoga - one of those things I'm definitely 'going to do'. Meanwhile, the animals look at me in disbelief when I try out a stretch or bend or something . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats can be very involved when you try yoga, especially when they get in your face during Downward Facing Dog.

      Delete
  3. The Boud tartan is a beauty! The combination of colours is quite appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the way the variegated yarn worked. I like it and can take no credit.

      Delete
  4. Fun aphorisms there at the end. I can do badly, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really believe in that one. You can have a great time even if you're not great at the activity.

      Delete
  5. "canine queen of the night" LOL! I like your plaid pin loom weavings too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Lord. My grandfather had so many aphorisms that he'd generously gift us with on a regular basis. The one I remember best was, "A place for every thing and every thing in its place."
    Which is quite apropos for the glue stick. Perhaps it needs a new place as you and others have suggested.
    And also like the others- I love the tartan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That place for everything saying can be interpreted quite broadly! If the studio is a wild clutter of materials and work, well, it's the place, and everything's in it! I don't think that's the spirit of the saying, somehow.

      Delete
    2. Not when he said it. You should have seen his workshop. Every.Single.Thing. in its place, assigned and generally labeled.

      Delete
  7. Aphorisms somethings can get us through a hard time. My favorites here are: don't let perfect be the enemy of good and done is better than perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That plaid has got great colour combos. As for the glue potential, i created one of those by putting a small amount of after sun lotion into a travel (100ml) bottle at the end of the last holiday. 2 months later I grabbed the sponge bag and discovered at the swimming pool that after-sun doesn't make good shampoo....

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all have "that" drawer. I am surprised there are not more mishaps.
    The tartan effect is lovely. I have some variegated cotton waiting to be pinloomed into place mats. It is different shades of blue/gray and I wonder how it will turn out after seeing your results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! This yarn is more interesting woven than knitted into the socks I made with the rest of it.

      Delete
  10. Such pretty tartan weaves. I threw a tin of baked beans into the pot this morning then realised they were tomatoes (already included.) Potato peelings? With a root on I assume?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peelings. The eyes develop into the plant.
      I've done that throwing in the wrong can, too.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful aphorisms! I need to take this one to heart: "Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." I will avoid just about anything I think I will not do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can give this a try. I do believe it, in fact some of my best adventures have come from it!

      Delete
  12. I like the plaid! Sometimes using variagated yarn creates the most wonderful patterning and other times it ends up akin to a dog's breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's working better as weaving than I thought it worked as knitting. Seems to lend itself to short stretches.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!