Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Stitching plain and fancy, voting

 I finally got around to repairing Gary's window sail. It's silk and a bit fragile, probably because it's been in the sun,  so it was tricky. 

I restitched one end to cover the tear along the fold, then reinforced it with lace and turned the end over so it's  only about half an inch shorter, won't affect the drape. 



That should work fine.

Warmer today but I was tired, doesn't often happen, but I lay like a sack of sand in the lounge chair on the patio, may have slept, read some of the migration book, and finally got around this evening to some stitching.


The tree is under way, a lot more to happen around the roots, and there will be foliage. I can add to the length of the roots with direct stitching, likewise change the branches. Quite a lot more to do now that it's starting to get going. 

The fluffy mossy stuff is a soft thread, unplied and sort of shredded, then couched down. I discovered it by accident when I unplied the yarn at another point, and the single ply disintegrated, so that was an idea to use here. No idea goes unused. 

I'm working with a piece of glass slid under the page so I don't accidentally stitch it to the next one.  And I notice I'm stitching with either hand, depending on which is best, a bit tricky navigating this piece with two pages done and needing protection, and a length of unworked pages getting in the way.  Mixed dominance is very useful when you're doing things like this, or drawing and painting, switch hands as needed.

Also the other important thing I did was, drumroll, vote! 

Here's the newly designed ballot that the lawsuit was about, candidates in alpha order, no special favored positioning, the abolished County Line now gone. Ding, dong, the line is dead.




The municipal dropbox is close to the Tuesday Knitting Group location, so I'll vote on the way there.

Happy day everyone, I did good things today, as you did too, I expect.





21 comments:

  1. Your embroidered tree is looking great so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Quite a way to go to be where I want it.

      Delete
  2. I am sure Gary is much pleased! I like very much what you are stitching and admire you are able to use both hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect he'll like it. Anything to do with fabric is a mystery to him.

      Delete
  3. all the blank pages are sewn together already? wouldn't it be easier to create the pages and then sew them together? I guess I'm not really comprehending about the construction of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I explained when I started this project, it's a single strip of unbleached muslin. I'm working along it, so that it can become an accordion book. That saves a lot of sewing and construction. It's just the middle section is a bit tricky.

      Delete
    2. I mentioned it was uncut but made assumptions, sorry. I was thinking readers would realize uncut would mean preserving the accordion option. As one of my art collaborators would say, I can't read your mind! Say words!

      Delete
  4. Love how you are doing the tree, Boud. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on Gary's window sail! And I just love the moss on the tree. Very, very nice detail.
    You've voted and good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice words on the tree. Gary's quite happy with his sail.

      Delete
  6. I love the tree and what’s going to come with the moss. I’ve never heard of mixed dominance. Dominant. passive, and versatile. But never mixed dominance. You’re full of surprises. (And I’m already sorry!)

    ReplyDelete

  7. Gary must be happy with his reconstituted window cover. I'm glad he will be reinstalling it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's happy. Getting it put back is another story!

      Delete
  8. I remain impressed about the relationship between you and Gary, each helping the other in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary has this relationship with quite a few people. At least I hope they reciprocate.

      Delete
  9. I love being able to vote early and drop things in the box. Gary must be so happy to have his sail repaired! I'm so glad you have such a good friend so close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a great idea, mailing early. Gary's happy with his sail.

      Delete
  10. I'm intrigued by the way you've created moss on your tree so I might just have to play with that idea on one of my landscapes. Provided, of course, I remember it when the time comes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!