Tuesday, May 21, 2024

People need plants and water

Monday was about weaving while I thought about stitching, finishing the Sacks book and walking.

I recommend all three! If you can. 

Catching up online while weaving. Bruce and Melissa on the screen.

Lovely bright weather for walking 



As I got to this point I started hearing the plomp sounds of frogs leaping into the water, and saw a couple as they flew from the bank, see the widening circles in the pond.

I got closer 


There were dragonflies in action, we have a lot of them, several species, and water boatmen on the water surface. I think some of them may have been taken by frogs, when they suddenly submerged.  



Here's a wild strawberry or something adjacent, and there are many around here. There's also spraying, so I don't check them out.

Home again I sat outside reading and watching birds, and noticing the honesty has started its seedpods 


Once they're silver, I'll let the seeds fall then add the branches of  silver disks to my collection in the downstairs bathroom.

The purple flowers are the sage. They're similar in shape to antirrhinum. 

And 


the yellow potatoes are starting up.

The Sacks book of essays, some written near the end of his life, is full of wisdom, really worth reading. 

He understood the value of plants and being involved with them, and would seek out botanical gardens when he traveled. He comments that his psychiatric hospital work kept him in New York city, and only the gardens made it tolerable. How I agree.

And I'm now rereading an old favorite, full of comic scenes 

I know it so well I'm laughing in anticipation of the antics of Nicky.

Happy day, everyone, flowers all round!





30 comments:

  1. I read Georgette Heyer in my very early teens. I should probably revist her with the wisdom of age.
    Your walk sounds delightful. I love frogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd appreciate her comedy more now. Worth revisiting

      Delete
  2. So that's what those silver seed pod discs look like before they dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shape is a good identifier, but the discs look so different when they mature.

      Delete
  3. For years we had frogs in our pond, hundreds of them, then they stopped, just like that. We do have newts, though, and lots of dragonflies.
    Lovely reflections in the water on your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what happened to cause the population crash?

      Delete
  4. Oh, how I love that song and how I love that video! I can't believe that's what you were watching.
    Bruce.
    Melissa.
    What a nice walk and it looks like the weaving is going well.
    When I lived in Denver, I somehow found the botanical garden there and it saved whatever I had left of my mind during the long months I lived there. I would go visit it just to smell some plants and feel their breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The ancient people of the middle east knew what they were doing when they designed gardens and water features, for walking in. It's so balancing.

      Delete
  5. I saw Bruce in concert when I lived in Atlanta. He gives it his all.
    You have a lovely area to walk through, the pond is pretty. I don't have frogs or garter snakes anymore. I blame it on the farm chemicals.
    I have a lot of wild strawberries in my yard. the fruit is tiny. Plants are so important to well-being. And to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice walking area and I'm encouraged that we do have wildlife despite spraying. Maybe this area is missed by both the development landscapers and the golf course ones.

      Delete
  6. On the airplane i watched a DOC re: Bruce- What a gift!!
    Your weaving in the best of all possible color combinations look remarkably cosy! I love them. What ever you do with them will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't yet know what I'll make with them. They're a kind of meditation at the moment.

      Delete
  7. I know I need plants. That's for sure! Glad to hear there's so much wildlife along the shoreline of your pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This general area has a lot of wildlife, despite the development.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Ues, if the frogs are anything to go by

      Delete
    2. Yes, that is. One of my recurring typos.

      Delete
  9. I love a good frog pond! Always something interesting there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nature abounds for you at this time of the year. While I don't live where there are frogs, there are much fewer around nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem to be vanishing. , but I treasure what's there.

      Delete
  11. Getting back to nature, especially these days, is crucial to a healthy mind.
    We are so plugged in that we literally need to unplug and enjoy just being human in a beautiful world.
    Love the colours of your weaving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is part of keeping our balance.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful photos. I’d like to go on that walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice, not too long, right from home. There's shade, too, a big point for me.

      Delete
  13. Glad to hear it's walking weather again!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful views you shared. That's a marvelous walk and isn't it wonderful when we can actually do that. So nice that it's quite near to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good when you don't have to drive in order to walk.

      Delete
  15. I love your weaving squares and now I'm wondering what you will do with them. A skirt, maybe? Or maybe a table runner/cloth? So many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're four inches square, so it would need a lot!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!