Friday, June 21, 2024

Weaving, drawn threads and hot air

Today is a good day for not doing much, other than starting to assemble the pinloom squares for an upcoming lacy vest. 



It's one of those projects that looks easier before you get into it and start losing your sense of direction around the squares. The idea is two simple rectangles, joined at sides and part of the back. 

I think I have enough, and putting them together will show me if I'm right. It seems to drape nicely up to now. This is strictly a decorative garment. At least that's the plan.

I'm a bit hampered by being headachy and slow, because


the air is so poor that neighborhood pools are closed and parents encouraged to keep kids indoors. I did go out briefly this morning to water my flowers. 

I'm glad I don't have any appointments for the moment, so no cancellation issues.

About drawn threads. It's a simple and very satisfying technique where you literally take a woven piece of fabric and pull out threads to create a new design. You start with a small cut, often, then you can use a needle to ease threads out. You often see this work on tablecloths and napkins as decorative hems.  

There's also white work, such as Hardanger which involves drawing out threads and replacing them with stitching.


Here's a hardanger piece I stitched some years ago.

What I'm doing is much less conformist (!)  I'm pulling threads and using the pulled threads in the design as I go. 

It both complicates and simplifies the piece, and it's a kind of examination of the grid system and the meanings around it.  I might do some stitching, using the thread I saved when I pulled.

The painter Agnes Martin did grid paintings following the same kind of exploration, very subtle and powerful.

My work is just a trying of ways to make this piece interesting.

I didn't work on it today, not feeling so great. I did simple things like starting to join squares, and I made a little batch of very good mayo, for egg salad on whole grain for supper, with lemon sun tea.

Happy day, everyone, I hope your hot air is metaphorical!





23 comments:

  1. Yowza, that's hot out! I once considered learning Hardanger but in the end didn't. I always like how it looks though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice technique, slow, so it's better to make a small piece.

      Delete
  2. I believe that little vest actually will provide some warmth. I think it's wool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be. It's lace weight whatever it is.

      Delete
  3. I always try to stay inf=doors as much as possible when temps rise into the 90s especially with our humidity. early morning and evening it's safer to go out. I even gave the dog a short walk to the end of our long street and back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 99s is over my limit. My neighbors are bopping around happily. I think they can do heat better.

      Delete
  4. I think it’s going to look fantastic when it’s done.
    We are at the other extreme of weather. It’s been very cold during the nights. Ten days are ok. Thankfully. But definitely sitting inside with the heating up high at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hard to imagine from here just now!

      Delete
  5. I look forward to the finished vest. Your hardanger piece is beautiful. Really. I'm sorry you haven't felt well but those are some high temps, so I guess it's understandable. Even with the ac on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the dirty air, mainly, as much as the heat. But this too shall pass.

      Delete
  6. Lacey appreciates that you want to make a vest for her, for it is the thought that counts. But she wishes that I inform you that she is quite pleased with her au naturel appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let her know I have a couple of extra blocks if she changes her mind.

      Delete
  7. Considering the hot air, you're doing good work. The heat outside, and even the a.c inside, don't agree with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully the current heat wave is short-lived and you can get back to regular activities. Sometimes I think it takes so much energy just to try to keep cool. The air quality (or lack thereof) adds a whole additional level of difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I mainly feel more tired than usual.

      Delete
  9. Heat can be very oppressive. I hope your air conditioning is efficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's holding up pretty well. Fans going, too.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the explanation. Time=traveling, I'm glad to see that your tomorrows are going better, with improved air quality and temperatures down a bit.

    Chris from Boise, catching up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope. I'm counting on the storm forecast this evening.

      Delete
  11. Your temps look like ours, except in your part of the country, I suspect this isn't typical! (We're stuck with it for normal summers down here in the south.)

    Your hardanger piece is gorgeous. I'm not sure I'd have the patience. But I love admiring the work of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually get periods like this later, not usually in June. I doubt if you get the dangerously polluted air, though.

      Delete
  12. Unfortunately, our hot air is too real. I swear- it takes your breath away and not in the good way.
    YOU did that hardanger? Well, of course you did. I think that vest is going to be pretty sweet.
    I hope you feel better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the heat, it's not the humidity, it's the pollution! I long for more rain at any temperature to clean the particulates out of the air. But the others aren't so good either.
      I'm pushing to do a bit each day, but energy isn't quite there yet.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!