Sunday, June 16, 2024

Bloomsday 2024

 Every year I take another trip into Ulysses. This year I remember again I don't have the Kindle copy,  which went away with my old Kindle, couldn't be transferred,and which kept my place from year to year. I may have to reinvest in it. 

Meanwhile here's a Dublin tribute to Joyce. This is the bust shot of the full length brass North Earl Street sculpture, by Irish American sculptor Marjorie Fitzgibbon.

Bloomsday, Google it,  is  June 16, the day of Stephen Bloom's 1904 travels around Dublin, a latter day Ulysses, discovering and puzzling, up to the encounter with Molly, and one of the longest single sentences in the world.

It's so intense and layered I can only manage a short session each time before I get brain fatigue. Like the richness of Arundhati Roy, a bit goes a long way with this very appreciative reader.

Meanwhile I'm seizing the day to walk before the heatwave arrives.


Here's the bed of long-feral day lilies, beloved of artists for their shape and their meaning -- each flower lasts a day, the plant goes on indefinitely.
 
Forthcoming attractions 

And whatever these are, some daisy like wildflower 

And what looks like a nightshade flower fallen in the leaves 

A thoughtful young rabbit playing chicken with me.

Earlier a flicker ran across my path, crossing the street fearlessly. The squeaking from inside the tree she'd just flown down from indicated she was focused on finding food for the nestlings, never mind humans.


And home again, the potato flower on the patio reminding us it's a nightshade relative.

While I think about all this, I find I've made 25 golden pinloom squares 

I need to stop and measure to see if I have enough for what I have in mind. This fabric is so soft and drapey. I probably need quite a few more and hope the yarn holds up long enough. If not, I'll rethink it.

Happy day everyone, off to check the ac before I need it, haven't had it on yet.




25 comments:

  1. I gave up on Ulysses decades ago. You are more determined than I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I can't just give up, stuck with finishing it!

      Delete
  2. I guess that I should be embarrassed to write that I have never read Joyce. It's a good idea for Easter though: Read Joyce, Read Joyce, let us all Read Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better start with short stories or episodic work such as Dubliners.

      Delete
  3. It’s nice to see pretty flowers while down here it’s cold and dreary
    Although to be honest, we still have lots of green flowering plants. Just not the bright happy weather to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you're looking at winter. I envy you in January!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never managed to make it through "Ulysses." Happy Bloomsday to all who have, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect more people claim that than have actually done it.

      Delete
  6. I couldn't get interested in Ulysses. It's wonderful the way book programs keep track of the place through thick and thin and recharging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Kindle version was great. Kept my place for a year, till I tried again! Every year.

      Delete
  7. The golden pin loom squares are classy. You can tell how soft and drapey just from the photo. I love the bronze of Joyce and your flowers. Would love to visit Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The statue has a lot of rude common names -- not a universally loved figure! Dublin certainly has a lot of history, mainly literary.

      Delete
  8. I read Ulysses years ago and feel no need to read it again. Joyce is a bit like Tolkien, in that faithful readers revisit, many annually, like you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had a couple of tries with Ulysses and have been soundly defeated. I hereby accept that defeat; I will sign a declaration of surrender and will content myself with Margaret Atwood and her ilk. It’s the sensible thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helps to have a lot of Irish Catholic in your growing up, to catch a lot of the allusions and jokes. And a lot of Greek and Latin, church and secular, doesn't hurt.

      Delete
  10. I have never read Ulysses. I wonder if I attempted one year after your post? I will try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a try. Some people tune up by reading Dubliners.

      Delete
  11. I also join the ranks of those who gave up on Ulysses. I also offer my surrender.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've ever even tried to read Ulysses. After I read a description of it I couldn't imagine why I would. I feel a little guilty about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd try it. I'm not a big follower of other people's opinions on books, or their descriptions. I've tried a lot of books I was doubtful about, just to see. I'm about to try James, despite what I've read about it!

      Delete
  13. Nope, not going to even begin to attempt to wade through Ulysses because I suspect it would be a slog. I know I'm sadly lacking in the literary field because I haven't read any Jane Austen either.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!