Monday, June 17, 2024

Freecycle, posies and other small things

I'm still winnowing. Art this time. From up in the loft. I've put these on free cycle, in hopes.  They're all framed and wired. That might be an attraction in itself.










One of the cutting things people do, sometimes innocently, is to ask about the frames. Not the art. But I'm not bitter.

And speaking of tiny tasks you finally get around to, the yellow skirt I made a while back, with patch pockets, needed a little something. The fabric is so soft the pockets kind of flop a bit. I've been thinking for, maybe a year mphm mphm, about running elastic along the tops to fix that.

This morning I finally got the skirt out and  found I'd done a really good job, making the pockets of double fabric. Not a hem I could open. Oh. Then I remembered I'm in my pleat period. Bingo. One little pleat in the top of each, nice design touch, and functional. Total time elapsed including finding thread and needle, five minutes.  

You could, of course, say the time elapsed since I first noticed the flopping was vital to the elegance of what now looks like an easy fix. In fact, I think that's what I will say.

And Emma Mitchell has produced a whole array, heck, a panoply, of tiny posies for our mental health.


Happy day, everyone, put your best descriptive foot forward. Nobody else will do it for you.






28 comments:

  1. You are giving away beautiful pieces! Lucky people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I get takers. I may have to try again after the heatwave passes.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes we need to just sit and mull over an issue, before inspiration strikes
    There is. No time frame for that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful art pieces. A charming pocket fix. Wonderful little bouquets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tiny posies are remarkable. What patience and dexterity must be required to achieve such delights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a wonderful artist, as well as a scientist in brain research.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE your art. If I lived nearby I’d jump at the choice to take one or more of those home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People should consider themselves fortunate to receive this beautiful art. Anyone who asks about the frame should have his or tongue stretched out and chopped into little pieces. And that’s only the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, such loyalty, thank you! I'm thinking of candidates for your wrath..

      Delete
  7. That IS a rather heartless question, to ask about the frames rather than the art! Good solution on the pockets, if I'm imagining it correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the kind of passy-aggy question artists get at their openings. Not sure why unhappy people go to openings, but there you are. Unless it's for the food ;)

      Delete
  8. Thinking time is essential to design modifications. Glad to rad the pockets worked better with a pleat. That is a fabulous collection of artworks - shame to have had them hidden away in the loft. I hope they see light of day and provide inspiration for others once they have been freecycled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got art all over the house. The loft was my art studio, and when I emptied it, I didn't move these pieces. I hope they find new homes.

      Delete
  9. the first gathered skirt I made I didn't think of pockets until it was done. so I added patch pockets with the same problem of floppy and now you've told me how the fix that. thank you. I also need to shorten it by about 5 inches. the next three have side seam pockets. love the tiny posies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Aren't they calming? She says they reset the anxious mind.

      Delete
  11. I would take everyone of those , framed or not. Sometimes the mind needs a little time to come up with an answer. Yours did just that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope someone closer by is interested! Yes, it was a solution, not just a task waiting. I forgot that part.

      Delete
  12. Hopefully, both the art and the frames will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up to now people are looking at the art, yay!

      Delete
  13. Your framed pieces looked lovely to me, Boud, and hopefully you will find some folks who appreciate the artwork and then like the frame too. The tiny posies were lovely and I wondered how the artist made them with such detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the artworks are being well received.
      Emma Mitchell's posies are live flowers from her own garden, in tiny antique glass containers.

      Delete
  14. Lucky indeed the person(s) who adds a piece of your art to their collection. It's to be hoped they appreciate the art and don't simply want the frames. I know if I lived closer I'd be interested.
    Love the posies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!