Thursday, June 13, 2024

Mayo part the second

The poached salmon, with cilantro and scallions, the latter growing in the kitchen from those roots I planted, went like this.

The mayo on it tasted okay but wasn't what I was looking for. It had mixed like this.

Not the plan. Incidentally I was a bit concerned about using a raw egg, but found that the acid lemon juice actually cooks it without heat, so I calmed down about that.

I was quite downhearted about the mayo situation, though it tasted okay, part of the mayo taste is the texture, creamy with a bite.

So in the afternoon I watched a couple of videos and realized two things. One was that I'd mixed too hastily, not waiting long enough before raising the blender up the container, and the other that a bit of fermented ingredient could help.

So I took it out of the fridge, without warming, added half a tsp of yogurt, and blended again. Magic!


Whereupon I made egg salad to celebrate. And found it tasted much better with this texture.

Quite a few people find they don't get it to emulsify, and I think the blending method is critical. 

Raise the blender too fast, even when you think it's slow, and it won't work. Keeping the blender at the bottom of the mixture, running until you see emulsion happening, is the trick. Ta-dah.

I have now joined the ranks of people who say oh, it's so easy! Easy when you know how.

And on that triumph I continue what people call my hearing journey today. I'm consulting the audiologist about hearing aids. So we'll see if it works like mayo -- learning in stages.

Happy day, everyone, I hope your learning goes smoothly. Another mayo reference, she's getting obsessed here.

Late breaking news: James by Percival Everett, the audio book, has finally arrived for me. Now I'll see what it's all about.





34 comments:

  1. Good luck with the hearing aids. I gather there's a whole world of aids and you'll be spoilt for choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are endless options. But I'll be limited to what I can afford.

      Delete
  2. I used to make mayo easy with my old blender fixed on old food mixer but the new one (actually not That new now) wouldn't go slow enough and have never had success since. Now I don't use much anyway so doesn't really matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made aioli, fancy for mayonnaise in years. I must have had luck on my side as I didn't have problems. The luck of the novice! I hope the hearing journey goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's garlic based. Mayo isn't. It's a similar preparation, but not the same thing. I wonder if the garlic makes a difference in emulsifying.

      Delete
  4. Great improvement on the mayo. I wasn't sure that what you depicted yesterday could really be called mayo. Have fun with hearing improvements. My friends who now have aids of various kinds are so much happier, as am I! Now I don't have to raise my voice, which never really works since that sends it into the range they can't hear anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends who talk in a shout and I suspect they've got hearing loss they're not addressing.

      Delete
  5. Mayo magic. Our daughter always makes mayo and it took her a few tries before she perfected it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I can make potato salad. I don't like what's in shop mayo, so I haven't been making it.

      Delete
    2. I buy Chosen Foods avocado mayo. Everything in it is in my kitchen except for rosemary extract. No sugar.

      Delete
    3. I just checked the price. I think I'll continue with homemade!

      Delete
  6. Mayonnaise is one of the few foods I cannot abide the texture or taste of, yet I have handmade it dozens of times over the years (for others) - with a balloon whisk. The trick I found was to add the oil slowly (it needs three hands - one to hold the bowl, one to rattle the whisk around and one to dribble oil). Now Hollandaise on the other hand😋 ....maybe I am simply a butter fan. Glad to discover you have discovered the secret to a good mayo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This method is much easier than the chefy balloon whisk deal, which is fine if you like it. I just like the occasional mayo, not a constant user.

      Delete
  7. Mayo you continue to overcome in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't made mayo in a long time, a very long time... it's great if you're perfect with it now.
    Good tip, I have to prepare salmon. I just fry it in butter over low heat. And potatoes and warm vegetables.
    I like looking at other people's plates - thank you.
    Many greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often cook salmon that way, too. Poaching was a change of pace. One of my friends encouraged me to blog my meals, because she liked it. I find quite a few people do. Happy to oblige.

      Delete
  9. You may enjoy experimenting with using different oils in your mayonnaise :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you make good progress on the hearing aids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think making the first appointment was the hardest part.

      Delete
  11. Something else to look forward to playing with once I have a decent kitchen. I have always been afraid to attempt mayo but you make it look so easy.
    isn't it funny how people will happily wear glasses but are so reluctant to wear hearing aids. Good on you for going down this path. Hearing is so precious - especially as we get older. Deafness is very isolating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to make the first appointment. But being unable to catch some of the conversation at my groups was a motivation.
      My mayo first failed then eventually succeeded. And it's really good now.

      Delete
  12. The next time I see the audiologist I will ask hard for straight answers on hearing aids. Mine cost about six grand and these are ten years old and seem to be going down hill. I know there are "good" aids on Amazon for six hundred dollars, so I will try to get a straight story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The over the counter aids work for mild to moderate
      loss. My upper register is severe, so otc would only help a bit. But maybe you can do better. I'm surprised yours were so expensive.

      Delete
  13. How like you to research mayonnaise until you got it right. You're not a giver-upper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd describe what I do as ND perseveration, rather than Neuro normal perseverance. But it gets results.

      Delete
  14. If at first you don't succeed...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for finding a work-around for the mayo. Guess it's like so many other things where patience is required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just a second try with the same batch.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.