Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Textiles and Tea and mayo

I tried mayo today, to see how it would work. I'm having poached salmon for lunch, so I'd like a bit of mayo with it. I won't buy it, no idea what's in those expensive jars, but Leigh, of Five Acres and a Dream posted a simple recipe today  

Here's the cast of characters

 I didn't have a glass container the right size that would also accommodate the stick blender, so I used a yogurt container. And I didn't have prepared mustard.

Here's the upshot 

I didn't have any prepared mustard, so I used dry powder mustard made with with milk. And I added a little pinch of salt and sugar.

It tastes okay, and we'll see how it works with the salmon and baked potatoes. The texture is thin, probably because it doesn't have the emulsifiers you get in prepared mustard. Next time around I'll use Dijon. And maybe olive oil, which I also didn't have, which is more viscous and will probably have a thicker consistency.

Meanwhile, yesterday's Textiles and Tea was a wonderful session with a Navajo (Dine) traditional weaver, dyer, felter and shepherd, keeping the old breed churro sheep. 

She's so knowledgeable,  patient and good humored with people unfamiliar with her traditions. She doesn't mind if people use Navajo designs, as long as they follow the complex protocols. It's a spiritual as well as a physical process. 








Some shapes, such as the boxes,  are significant, recalling the long trek Indians were forced on, and the language oppression they endured. She speaks the Navajo language and did so here and there during the interview. Her own name, given by her grandmother, indicates her work, to be a weaver.  She commented on the people of her age brutally prevented from speaking their own languages in the enforced government schools, who do not speak their own language now,  as a result.

Despite this, the beauty and movement of her work survives, and she wants people to use her weaving, not put it away or hang it as an artwork. I've heard this from other indigenous artisans. It's art and it's also meant to be functional.

She uses a lot of looms, not all Navajo, because she's always trying out new ideas. And she uses a number of fibers, including flax and silk, in addition to the wool from her sheep.

Check her website, seen in the top slide, for more about this wonderful talent. She's a weaving treasure.

Happy day, everyone, off to fix lunch now. 





24 comments:

  1. Standing where we are now it is sort of difficult to believe that language oppression happened in our countries - same in schools in NZ in 1930s. Maori language was banned - which is just a reflection of the inability or unpreparedness of the administrators and teachers to learn one of the languages of our country. Fortunately we came to understand, and strangely NZ took lessons form the Welsh on how they revived their language. Te Kohanga Reo has revolutionized with childhood learning centres that encourage kids to use whatever language they speak at home (immigrants and all) - the kids teach each other, and the languages don't turn into any kind of pidgin - they learn the cadences, the grammatical forms, uses and expressions of their friends as easily as they learned their own. language at home. A young friend explaining this to me started in English and switched very cleverly to her native Norwegian at precisely the right place in the sentence to emphasize the fact that when it came down to it, all together speak in English. They learn from one another but have a common communication in English. I wish the Navajo similar success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you shared your mayonnaise experiment. Interesting about the mustard and good to know, as that's supposed to be key for emulsification. I'm guessing it will still taste good!

    I will definitely have to watch that episode of Textiles and Tea. I participated in a Navajo Churro fleece study many years ago and was fascinated with how the Dine processed and dyed the fleece in their arid ecosystem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch this space! I fixed the mayo. Yay me

      Delete
  3. I imagine patience is a necessity in weaving. If one is not patient to begin with, one soon learns . . . or abandons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, working on a craft is one kind of patience. Dealing with questions is another!

      Delete
  4. “I didn’t have a glass container...” so I built a glass-blowing studio with a blowpipe, punty, bench, marver, blocks, jacks, paddles, tweezers, newspaper pads, and a variety of shears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you've given away tomorrow's blogpost! Spoiler alert!

      Delete
  5. I have only made mayonnaise a few times and was never that pleased with the outcome. Maybe I'll try again one day.
    Textiles and Tea certainly features a wide range of textile artists which is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really branching out, I'm happy to see. With the mayo, hope springs eternal.

      Delete
  6. Olive oil has always made my mayo go bitter, so I'd advise against it. Egg, sprinkled with a little salt, the merest smidgin of prepared mustard, oil and lemon juice usually work for me. Bon appétit from Switzerland a

    ReplyDelete
  7. Curious how the mayo was. Love it with salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use Hellmann's mayonnaise and will probably keep doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never made my own mayo, so no help on what the issues might have been. I generally stick with Hellman's but when we lived in VA, Duke's was a popular brand. As for mustard, Dijon is always my go-to for anything that requires mustard. Patrick makes a salmon topping using low sodium soy sauce and maple syrup. It really is quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fixed the mayo. I think I diagnosed it.

      Delete
  10. I am on tenterhooks waiting to hear how you fixed the mayo!
    Colonisation has a lot to answer for. Thank goodness many are now attempting to rectify the destruction of native languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See this space tomorrow.
      And yes, we have a big repair job on language and heritage.

      Delete
  11. So, now you also make your own mayo. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother used to make mayo and it seems to me she used flour in it but of course the recipe is long gone. I was never overly impressed with it because I thought it was rather tasteless. That problem could have been because she could neither taste nor smell so therefore most food didn't have much in the way of spice. Now I'm happily a Miracle Whip fan (and yes, I know it's not good for me, but I don't eat it very often).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty difficult to make good food with no way of knowing how it tasted.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.