Friday, June 7, 2024

Library days and new tries

The cleaners were here this morning so I wasn't.

I took my pinloom off to the library.





And wove a couple of squares, also put in a couple of puzzle pieces. The current gallery exhibit is more hopeful than exciting, so I didn't spend time on pictures and editing.


I did stop in the bathroom before I left, because I was wearing that eighteenth century adjustable skirt, and the light was good for a selfie.



It's quite floofy, and works nicely. I like it with the black top. It's hard to see the painting on the top, copper acrylic, it's subtle.

At home I looked at the current square collection.


 The yarn size makes a difference to the finished size as you see. The loom is 4x4, but the pins are set in from the edges so the bigger squares are 3.5x3.5. The smaller ones are nearer 3x3.

Yesterday I found out about a different, much simpler, toe up sock idea, and had to try it today. 

Here's how it was described in Modern Daily Knitting 


I dreamed about this last night, figuring out the numbers and rows so that it would develop into a proper sock toe.

I thought I'd need to increase as I went, and found it's much simpler. You knit a garter stitch square, pick up all the stitches round the edges and there you go.

I did the math relating to my favorite toe up sock, sixteen stitches and ridges. Because you have four equal sides, your total stitch requirement is divided by four. Then when you pick up, you already have the right stitch count, wheeee!

So I had to try it 


Here's the knitted square, with one side picked up 


And here's the toe under way, all stitches picked up and knitted, and stockinette stitch is happening now. This is already the right stitch count, no need for increasing.

One needle has twice the stitches of each of the others, because that's where I'll shape the heel when I get there. Probably shortrow unless another idea shows up.

This is so simple. I'm glad I found it. Knitters, do you use this method? I don't mind garter stitch in this soft yarn, but I might not use it with a coarser yarn, less comfortable. 

So there's today's exploits. I skipped the Friday knitting group because I was out all morning, didn't feel like going out all afternoon on a hot day. High eighties. Nice, but not for rushing around.

Happy day everyone, try something new. Or fiercely refuse to. You do you!






26 comments:

  1. That garter stitch square toe is a new one for me. Makes me think about knitting sox again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun to try something not only new, but easier.

      Delete
  2. I admire when people are skilled enough at their craft, they can figure things out like you did here with a sock toe. I suppose I can do that with other things (I don't know what), but I'm still a preschooler, or maybe I'm up to second grade when it comes to knitting. I am amazed, once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a simple concept, I'm very pleased with it.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if that toe method would work with the magic loop. I cannot manage dpns for the life of me.
    The skirt looks fabulous - as do you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a YouTube video which uses magic loop, so you might try it. Thanks for the nice words about the skirt. I really like it.

      Delete
  4. I was all thumbs and awkward when I attempted knitting...those are pretty, cannot wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone! But that's okay, it leaves people ready to accept knitted items from friends.

      Delete
  5. Busy fingers, busy mind, no time for boredom:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. Whenever I start to feel bored, ideas start rushing in.

      Delete
  6. Still loving your little woven squares, Curious what they may become.
    Your skirt is stunning, only you could wear it so well, I do believe. Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have any ideas about the squares, let me know! Right now they're a meditative activity. Thank you for the flattering words about the skirt!

      Delete
  7. The skirt looks beautiful on you! As for the zipzamzoom toe up sock, I read the instructions and it was all clear as mud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all sounds clear to me, but then I'm doing it.

      Delete
  8. Great job on the skirt. Looking good, Boud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's such a simple concept, too.

      Delete
  9. That skirt is very cute and looks great. I envy those who knit socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm told it seems like magic! It's actually pretty simple.

      Delete
  10. Yep. The skirt is a winner!
    "Zipzapzoom" is my favorite new word.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You may as well be speaking ancient Egyptian or, as they say, it's all Greek to me! I really like the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny. Thank you for the nice words, I'm glad I made it.

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of this toe method, but then I'm a top-down sock knitter and have never felt the toe-up urge. For me, getting to the heel is the reward for finishing the leg, which is usually at least mid-calf in my socks. And turning the heel is still magic, despite all the years and all the socks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned toe up because it's seamless, for my easily bothered toes, and I've continued for the sock ministry because our recipients have compromised health. I do a stretchy cast off of the cuff to make it easier to get them on and off, too.

      Delete
  13. That method of starting socks certainly looks intriguing. I doubt I'll be trying it though because I love my current top-down 'recipe' for socks and hate to mess with what obviously fits everybody in my family.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.