Wednesday, June 26, 2024

More heat, so early morning outside

I'm getting out these mornings very early, to enjoy the patio and water my flourishing flowers.  After that I'm hiding from the heat, reading and making things, including food.

Here's Wednesday morning in the garden 


The hibiscus is definitely getting there now
The scattered seeds are doing their best 
Last year I got a ton of morning glory foliage, no flowers. I think the mix was too rich. This year let's hope for flowers 
The tired looking coleus is from last year's seeds, kept over the winter and now out with her friends 




Zinnias and marigolds are booming, and the feathery foliage of cosmos is showing. 
Then out front a young morning dove was strolling on the path, apparently there's good pickings there, the doves are around often.

He took off when he noticed me.

Then for stitching, and I only need to hem the linen tunic and it's done. 


I like how the sleeve pleats improve how the sleeves fall. Pretty much as planned.

On the food front, the pastry is going further than expected. One more pasty today and enough filling for one more. Then still enough for sausage rolls, when Misfits brings me my ground turkey Thursday. It's practically a lifetime supply.

This small recipe makes the kind of thin crisp crust I like. It can also make crackers, rolled even thinner and and with spices rolled in. I like an all purpose food, I must say. This is a kind of good fast food.

Today's reading is the wonderful 
in my Kindle collection, and she's such a powerful writer I have to be ready for her. Not a casual summer read, despite the title.

Wednesday seems to have been a productive day despite dragging myself mournfully about wishing for walking weather.

Happy day everyone, there are people in freezing temperatures just now, finding it hard to imagine this heat, as in "feels like 99°f". 

Stitch on! Whatever form your stitching takes, wheelchair repair, to vegetable picking!





27 comments:

  1. Your patio is a jungle! Like Steve R's garden in miniature!

    I was impressed at your and Gary's brisk and efficient meeting yesterday. You two are a formidable team.

    The tunic is quite elegant, and looks great on you. Would the vest work with it, or would the long-and-short be a bit distracting?

    You're accomplishing a good deal despite the heat. We're on the same schedule - out at the crack of dawn and then inside for many boring hours [in which I could be as productive as you, but somehow aren't (amn't? am not? grammar fails)...]. Siestas may have happened. It's just now cooling nicely, at 10:30 pm-ish, and I'm reluctant to head for bed and waste the evening coolth.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The long and short is a look, so that's what I'm going for.
      So I'm not the only person bored indoors? It's not cooling far at night, very humid, poor me.
      I used to have a teacher who said amn't, very correctly, but didn't insist we change from aren't, so I haven't!

      Delete
  2. I love that second glam shot! I’m hoping to “stitch” our giant aloe vera planters today. So overgrown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you divide it? My kitchen aloe stays very compact, probably a different variety.

      Delete
    2. I’ll share a photo of our aloe soon, so you can see what I’m dealing with.

      Delete
    3. Please do. Your plants are gigantic!

      Delete
  3. The Tunic has turned out quickly and stylishly. And your garden has greened up really well. I have been too late with seeds (and even purchased plants) this year and expect summer will fade before I get flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year, long cold winter then blazing heat with rainstorms seems, oddly, to have suited growth. The tunic seems to me to have dragged on. Maybe because I was thinking about it ages before I started it.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is flourishing, Boud! Love it and the tunic. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They dollar store seeds came through again!

      Delete
  5. It is looking very verdant there. Our heat waves have been brief. At present it is 54F at 9am after much rain last evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very cool. Welcome, too, I expect.

      Delete
  6. Anvilcloud stole my word! I, too, was going to say that your flowers look so verdant! I suppose this means it is a good choice of word to describe what you have going on there.
    Are you able to sleep in this heat? I hope you are using a fan.
    Good job on the tunic. This is certainly the right season for linen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fans upstairs and down in addition to AC. I'm hoping for a bit of color along with the verdure!

      Delete
  7. Everything looks lush and green despite the heat. Your linen tunic turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a veritable jungle outside your door (mind you, RC's balcony garden is taking over and soon there won't be room to sit out there).
    Very nice tunic with the detail on the sleeves - you will wear it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising how soon the space fills up when plants get going.

      Delete
  9. I also was going to use verdant! Your plants are happy with the weather. You got the tunic done fast and I like it. I have a pasty recipe I got long ago from a coworker whose mother was from England. I haven't used it in decades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever had a recipe for pasty. It's a pastry case you fill however you like. Maybe some are more elaborate though.
      I feel the tunic took ages, but I guess not.

      Delete
  10. Not THAT Elizabeth Taylor, I'm assuming. Your plants are all looking great! I overwintered a coleus once but it wound up looking very spindly. Yours looks much better. I imagine the hibiscus is loving the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This coleus could use some pinching back when I get to it.

      Delete
  11. You sewed yourself a beautiful linen tunic... Linen is so beautiful for the summer.
    I went to the Medieval Festival and sewed a “Gugel”, a linen cover with a hood, to go with my dress.
    It's a joy to make something beautiful... I hope you have fun sewing and fun with your plants. A greeting comes to you from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You make lovely things, do this is very nice compliment.

      Delete
  12. It is so nice to enjoy the gardens before the heat comes we have had lovely days the past few. I do hate the horrid heat.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking of the religious reference to walking in the cool of the day! It feels very official.

      Delete
  13. Your garden is looking very lush indeed
    Especially with that heat. Temps here are not freezing. But still very cold
    Not doing the old bones any good at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised the seeds are doing this well considering all the temp changes they've experienced.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!