Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Textiles and Tea, Nadine Sanders, new puzzle,

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea was a bit wordy. Nice lady who weaves with a quilting influence, using a thick and thin warp approach.

She was one of the occasional guests who look on the event as sit 'n chat, rather than the usual show 'n tell, so there's not a lot to see, but here it is anyway. She's very much into trying out ideas just to see how they work rather than sticking with established methods.





At the end she suddenly burst into song!  So that was different!

And here's a Haggard Hawks puzzle for your puzzling pleasure. Funny clues only, no answers in comments please. 


I seem to have gone off jigsaw puzzles just now, nothing in the library collection called to me. But maybe at some point it will return. In colder weather, cosy activity.

I was hugely amused at how seriously everyone took my donation tribulations yesterday! It was pretty much a comedy of errors with moi as the schlimazel, and I appreciated how you entered into it, thank you!

And my book page is done trala.

Before I go to the next page I think I'll study the linen situation, as in what to make. I'm thinking about that historic shirt made from rectangles, remember that? 

Wondering if I have enough of the white linen for it, and I can use the dyed and stamped linen for a historic skirt to go with it. First I have to find the shirt pattern or something like it. The linen drapes so well it doesn't need fancy fitting.

And I have another thought, about using the white  to line a jacket made of, ta-da, woven squares... Or maybe the yellow.. So many ideas, so little time.

Mutts usually have good policies

Happy day everyone, don't lose your list!






33 comments:

  1. The weaver's floral work is gorgeous! And so is your completed book page! Love how you embroidered the colours radiating out from the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It came out pretty well. Several interpretations of what it's about, my own being quite dark.

      Delete
  2. I liked that dress page from the beginning and now, I think it's beautiful! Good creativity. I really like the weavers work. The flower, wow. I'm one of those people who may break into song, so I relate to that. Jigsaw puzzles do seem like a winter pass-time.I think I should make up a list like that and put it on the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my own comment vanished!! I'm pleased with the page. It did a few things I hoped it would.
      That's an all purpose list!

      Delete
  3. Your dress/kimono page is a wonder! And I love the weaver’s work! I got the 9-letter word at a glance. I wish I knew how to set the brain in that position all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on the puzzle! I do like how you get into the textiles and enjoy them as they pass.

      Delete
  4. With the nice weather I’d much rather be playing out in the garden than inside doing a puzzle. Unless it gets too hot. There is a fine line for me. Im sure your puzzle passion will return.
    I think a lined jacket will be spectacular made from those squares

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think puzzles are seasonal. And outdoors is good before it gets too hot. Indoors I'd probably be making rather than puzzling.

      Delete
  5. I set to work on a thousand piece puzzle that has languished on the puzzle table for too long. I had half an hour to give it before supper and fitted five pieces, upside down no less, from my size of the table. Like Mitchell, I got the puzzle at a glance, but am too tired to think of a safe clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I do best working from the side on puzzles. I never work them right way up.
      This puzzle was straightforward. Thinking of a clue, not so much!

      Delete
  6. Now that you mention is, jigsaws do seem to be more of a cool weather activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how they seem to me. Dark evenings.

      Delete
  7. I love jigsaws but after telling my cats for the last time not to play with them I have given up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did them when I had cats. I could just see pieces juggled under the fridge!

      Delete
  8. Something about Nadine Sanders seemed familiar as I first read your post, and then realized I have her book about warping on a shoestring. The weaving/quilting examples are really nice.

    Also nice is your finished book page. A big WOW! The book will be a real treasure when it's completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's quite a character! Thanks for the nice words.

      Delete
  9. I haven’t done a jigsaw puzzle since I sold the cottage many years ago. We always seemed to have one on the go there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting weaving and impressive photos of what she did share. I'd love to see a jacket made of your woven squares - that would be a fine thing. Your word puzzle leapt off the page at me but that doesn't happen often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have liked to see more, but she evidently doesn't do slides much. Still thinking about the woven squares.

      Delete
  11. Love that page…so creative and beautiful. A treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was very pleasurable to develop.

      Delete
  12. Ms. Sanders seems like a very cheerful person all the way around!
    I think you have created Joseph's coat of many colors. That's what it looks like to me and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interpretation I hadn't thought of, thank you.

      Delete
  13. For once that puzzle jumped right out at me but I can't think of a good clue that fits. As for the bursting into song, I do hope she was on key!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That puzzle was good for a few people, making up a clue, hmmmm, harder!
      I think she sings professionally, anyway she has a good voice.

      Delete
  14. I really had no choice but to solve the Haggard Hawks puzzle this time. I wish they were all so easy. :)

    Love the finished embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful book page! I had no idea about the puzzle but looked at some of the clues and think I have it now. I shall have to count the letters. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You gave me a flashback to working at a research facility where guest researchers would pop in weekly and do a presentation about their current projects. If you ever want to see a roomful of scientists who don't know what to do with their faces, start your lecture by suddenly giving them a verse of "The Erie Canal" :)

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.