Monday, June 10, 2024

Irish lace and other holey stuff

I've been meaning to signal-boost this workshop, for anyone in Brooklyn in July




Lace has a significant social history, largely a cottage industry demanding long hours and great skill for low pay.  But the tradition is worth exploring for other than earning a living.

And here's a slightly different puzzle from the Haggard Hawks word puzzles.  



Here, just give your number answer, not an explanatory narrative, please! That way more people get to try it.

I was out walking earlier this morning, frogs watching me from the pond, eyes out of the water, exactly like the cartoons. The birds are busy, flickers pecking away, a bluejay warning me off, probably from a nearby nest, I've seen nestlings there before, cardinals singing, Carolina wrens shouting endlessly.

I had pictures of one second after frogs were visible, and a chipmunk after he'd run, and they're not blog worthy.  


And there's this little flower I need to identify, growing in a bed of poison ivy, so I proceeded with caution. I think it's bittersweet nightshade, and if you know better, please speak up 

One of the yarn balls from Mary is making up into lovely lacy woven squares, maybe to go with the linen shirt, seen folded in the corner. 

 
I'm thinking about a vest. The kind you can't have around cats!

Happy day, everyone, weave on!




32 comments:

  1. Six? That flower looks like the nightshade we have around here, It is beautiful!
    Holes are some of my favorite things. But I do understand Trypophobia around lotus seed pods. I understand the "disease" aversion that the brain perceives. Lace and fabric with embroidered holes are fabulous. No mistaking them for disease. Your squares, as usual, are inspiring. Love the colour!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really liking the color of the yarn. It's a bit more golden than seen here.
      There's a YouTube channel which gives trigger alerts for that phobia. Apparently some people really need to avoid.

      Delete
    2. OH! all the way through, then, yes...eight.

      Delete
  2. Eight holes (it could be 7 but that would require a narrative!)
    Yes, yes, yes to the vest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I initially thought six, but all the eights made me take a second look, and I now concur.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your description of the critters on your walk. Nature at your door really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I do quite a bit of watching from the sofa!

      Delete
  5. Yes. My plant app said "bitter nightshade." You were right.
    Oh my gosh, Liz! I knew you'd come up with something for that golden yarn. It weaves up lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it nice? Airy. I think Maggie might like pinloom weaving, somehow.

      Delete
  6. I see eight. Clever you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandmother used to tat. I haven't heard (seen) that word in many decades. I did not acquire her skills but I did acquire her determination. Whatever you do with those squares I know I will like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tatting shuttle, given to me ages ago. I tried it, didn't get up much enthusiasm, but did appreciate the skill of people who made amazing lace edgings with it.

      Delete
  8. Looks like deadly nightshade to me. 8 I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nightshade has a lot of names and really nice flowers.8 noted.

      Delete
  9. Your lovely purple flower is a solanum - same family as tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants and nightshades (and other stuff). I love the sleeves on the top - very stylish adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. And I like a bit of stylish when I can get it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!