Thursday, June 20, 2024

Back to the fabric book

It's the summer solstice, midsummer's day 

The freecycled art leaves tomorrow, and it's created a rush of energy for my next artwork. It never fails. Move out works you've moved on from, and ideas come crowding in. When you hang onto things, it's like a cork in a bottle. Pop the cork, champagne, bubbles!

And freeing up space does the same. Here's my treefree living room 


 I've been thinking about the next page in the fabric book, mainly about deconstructing a piece of fabric I was given, in various ways. I've had I dunamany ideas about it, including this kind of approach, a MOMA tutorial.

As you see, there's a history, Anni Albers being a leading light of the Bauhaus, then at Black Mountain College in its glory days. Anyway, this feel, but I want it less gridded.






pulling threads is something I've loved ever since I got hold of fabric to do it with, and when I learned drawn thread work at about eleven. It's playtime, but now with more meaning.

So here's the starting point


And we'll see!

Happy day, everyone! Art is hard, hugely important and the best fun. Maybe you'll do some. Or some more -- several blogistas are talented artists.  I particularly like it when blogistas with their own blogs share their work and process. Thank you,  everyone who does that. And thank you, the faithful readers who are happy to encourage.





24 comments:

  1. I was excited when I discovered drawn thread work in my early teens. Very satisfying. I shall be interested to see how your project develops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this deconstructing. What a cool idea. Can’t wait to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hopefully when I get on the other side of all these health things and procedures I'll feel like creating again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll happen. You've been too distracted lately.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing your process more than specific results - but looking forward to the results as well - and the fabric book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting path. I'm glad you like following it.

      Delete
  5. Your living room looks wonderful to me. I love the floors. I have considered myself creative, even though I don't do all of these things. I like design, I used to sew. But what I really did was "create" beautiful, useful horses. I also created a home for so many unwanted animals. These are my creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creation comes in many forms, and animals are right up there.

      Delete
  6. Your living room looks great and now onto new projects. I finally posted some art -- I haven't done as much as I wish but got a few challenge pieces posted at long last. I'm looking forward to getting to the lake and having the time to do much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must get there and see your art. A nice summer of time to make art sounds good.

      Delete
  7. Those plants seem to have good light. That is a problem in this house; our best window is full of other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's east facing and the plants do well. Upstairs I have plants in a west window, A bit bright in the afternoons. I give them priority. But then I don't have a cat needing access.

      Delete
  8. Creating a space for living … not just a “living room” looks like a satisfying accomplishment.
    best, mae

    ReplyDelete
  9. Black Mountain college is just a hop and a skip from where I am in North Carolina. Vergil's family has ties to that property and perhaps to the college. I can't remember.
    Letting art go in order to free ourselves to make more is a beautiful and practical concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Mountain is hallowed ground to artists like me. My prime mentor and teacher, Maggi Johnson, studied there. Last time I saw her she was in her 90s and had arranged a ride to one of my solo shows. She spent a couple of hours looking and critiquing and encouraging.

      I think it's important to release art, not cling, so you're not held back.

      Delete
  10. Ohhh I had memories from when I was a child starting school. We did an art class where we pulled threads to make patterns on pieces of fabric.
    As soon as I saw the pic. Wow. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if everyone is fascinated by pulling threads. Did you use a pin to ease them out?

      Delete
  11. Your living room must feel so light now that the tree is gone. Between that, and the artworks going to new homes, has to be freeing in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly right. It's a good feeling.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.