Thursday, June 20, 2024

Misfits box, drawn threads and immigrants

The Misfits box arrived, in time for me to have a tuna melt with spinach for lunch. To be exact, cheese arrived. I'd finished the curried lentils already, so there was a lunch vacancy.


The eggs were also the cavalry coming over the hill, since I forgot to order last week and was down to the last egg. Panic, couldn't make mayo! Or egg salad, no mayo, no eggs.

The nutritious crushed almonds in dark chocolate also saved the dessert day, no yogurt made yet. 

I got an unexpected helping hand, from Gary's little granddaughter, who ran over to give me a hug and tell me they were off to find a pool to swim in. Then she held the door for me while I heaved the box indoors.

The artworks were picked up promptly by a very excited taker, so I think they're off to a good home.

And I did some drawn threads on the latest piece.



All the threads I drew out completely will be useful to invisibly stitch down this page to the muslin base.  I've set it aside till tomorrow, and I'll see what fifty things need to happen next.

I was involved in a discussion elsewhere about being an immigrant, and some of the issues there. One of them is the definite message from quite a lot of people that you must justify being here. Unlike native born Americans, you're expected to give value.

I don't mind giving value, like many immigrants,  and I certainly have, in many ways blogistas don't know about because I haven't written about it.  There's a privilege in making it through all the bureaucracy and challenges, that you feel you need to more than justify. Immigrants get it done is not an idle phrase.

And then there's  the expectation also that you also have no business having opinions, particularly political ones, however long you've lived here. 

I've been challenged about that by people younger than I, who haven't lived here as long as I! Even told that "real" -- native born -- are entitled, but not people from "away". Naturalized citizenship simply doesn't count in some eyes.  

When people get really offensive about it, a rare occurrence, I play the eighth generation New York State card. That's my family who arrived in the 1850s  in New York harbor, just like me in the 1960s, and settled in northern New York State. 

This baffles people who know I'm first generation, and  can't grasp that entire extended families don't all emigrate together! There are always branches that stay. I don't know why this is hard to grasp, but it is. 

And don't get me started on people who flame out if I disagree with them. That's getting out of my assigned place as a permanent guest.

Sometimes I get annoyed, and sometimes I find it very funny. A lot of annoying things are eventually funny, when you reframe them as people worried that they're being outdone. I think it's not about me, it's about them, really, so I handle with care.

Happy day everyone, let's make interesting stuff and handle each other with care, if you follow me!

 



30 comments:

  1. That is the lamest "argument" Since arguing over "creamy or chunky"..it makes no sense at all. I would like every American born here to take the citizen test! That should shut them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i so value my immigrant friends, who share thoughts from their various other perspectives. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't, but often when we don't I'm obliged to examine my own opinion more closely. This can be uncomfortable, but is so very valuable. Those friends from countries where it is difficult or impossible to vote remind me to treasure - and continue to fight for - our right to vote.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such kind and wise words. But then I'm not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you got your misfit box in time phew!
    We should all add value but so many Americans feel it is someone else's job.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are immigrants here in Spain but, because we’re white, we’re called expats. (We call ourselves immigrants.) Since I’m not yet a citizen, I’m slightly careful expressing my political opinions (but only slightly). We can vote in local elections. Since you’ve ONLY been in the States for 60 years or so, I guess that’s why you should have no opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder when I'll qualify to express an opinion?? Not that it's been stopping me up to now.

      Delete
  6. It certainly is about them, and it's very weird. So many areas have suffered here since we left Europe and immigration became such a huge issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Immigration often = people of color, here too, where people shout about it. Such unnecessary suffering.

      Delete
  7. It's a country of immigrants. All of the Western Hemisphere is really, except for a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then people invent new barriers for each other! Humans, whoever thought they were a good idea?

      Delete
  8. I truly do not understand that attitude because unless you are first nation indigenous you come from an immigrant. and certainly, if you live here you are affected by the politics here and have every right to have an opinion. I don't know if this country has gotten more hateful and less welcoming or if I'm just now aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you're just more aware. I haven't personally noted much change. NJ is far more welcoming than the midwest. Probably because more experience of many immigrants.

      Delete
  9. I'm surprised that attitude is directed at you. I know it certainly is toward non-caucasians. It's depressing to realize the depth of ignorance among us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary was surprised, too. He'd assumed my whiteness was a protection. In some contexts it is, but on this subject not so much.

      Delete
  10. There is no other word to use, Boud, other than to say that many people are ignorant and there is no excuse for their comments. All of my grandparents arrived in the US from foreign shores as did my 2 nieces. I refrain from discussing hot-button issues in my posts, not because I fear nasty comments as most of the fellow bloggers who comment are respectful and there is no fear of a nasty comment.

    The vanity plate you were uncertain about, I believe is for a nurse/other professional working works in the local hospital. The plate was seen in a lot the lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also feel I have a thoughtful group here, who can disagree without being disagreeable. But I have comment moderation in place anyway.

      Delete
  11. It's worse than being an incomer to a small English village! I'm trivialising it, of course, and can only imagine how irritating it can be and actually hurtful, at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some ways there's a similar cliqueiness to it, yes. Just a bigger clique.

      Delete
  12. People love to draw lines and erect barriers, both physical and conceptual. I must say, in all my time as an immigrant in the UK, I have never been challenged or made to feel that I don't belong. That might be different if I lived somewhere other than London, as jabblog says above, but I suppose the cultural closeness makes up for a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'd lived elsewhere I think it would be different, yes. The other issue is that I'm very politically active, and that's what tends to trigger these reactions.

      Delete
  13. I so agree with you. “It’s about them,” not you, Boud. Like the U.S., where would Canada be without immigrants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our indigenous population would have been a lot better off, sigh.

      Delete
  14. This is an interesting topic on immigration. Right now things are so hot on this I'm both unsurprised at some of the reaction and completely surprised at other parts. I don't know why immigrants should make a greater contribution to society than any other human being should. Some will (some won't) -- just like the rest of the world! There's an awful lot of ignorance going around. It might not be so bad if you could convince people of a broader perspective but these days feelings run more deeply than I think they used to. Or maybe are just expressed more vocally! It's a fascinating topic and thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of negative opinions are just being said aloud more. I've heard them all, but a lot of my friends had never heard this stuff, no idea what people in my position have to deal with daily. Particularly when we are politically active. That's often the flashpoint. Yet to me it's a human duty. So there's no backing down.

      Delete
  15. And on another note - could you explain the 'drawn thread' technique a bit more? I've never heard of it. Thanks!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  16. People are just so often absolutely uneducated which does not mean they are not opinionated. I am so sorry you've had to suffer such ignorant slings and arrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not having facts never stopped anyone shouting their opinions! NJ is much better than other places, so it's more manageable here. Not a coincidence we came here to live after a couple of years in Wisconsin.

      Delete
  17. I do a lot of pulled thread-isms for my landscapes because nothing else gives the look of grasses that I want. Time-consuming but fun to do.
    It's sad to think that even after all the years you've been in the US people still think of you as being an immigrant. One wonders just how many generations would have to go by before that 'label' would be dropped. I once joined a group here and was astounded to be ostracized by many because I wasn't multi-generational in the community, despite having lived close to here my entire life (many generations worth of my family actually). Needless to say my membership in THAT group lapsed in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so odd when people erect barriers. I don't really get it.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.