Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Opening day at the farm and other excitements

Early May is the opening of the asparagus season at the local farm. First day today, 10 this morning till sold out, that's usually about an hour later.

So I showed up at 10.30,  saw an even earlier bird leaving as I arrived.




Picked this morning from the field you see  across the street.


Now on the menu for this evening. Steamed, dipped in lemon butter sauce. Doesn't get much better.

Meanwhile, Handsome Son is visiting this afternoon, to test the new patio chair and whatever baked goods are on offer with his pot of tea.

Yesterday I tried the idea of ganache (my word recall not being too swift at the moment, I ran through soutache and gazpacho before landing on  the right word). using cocoa instead of chocolate, which I didn't have, and heavy cream powder instead of whipping cream which I also didn't have. 

It didn't exactly come together as something you could spread between layers, so I added cornstarch and brought it to the boil and made a really really rich and lovely chocolate sauce, to pour over slices of the chocolate cake I was also making.

So he'll have a choice of plain chocolate cake, or enrobed (!) chocolate cake. Or both if he wants.

Full disclosure: I tested this for breakfast this morning, why not, I had a wonderful bill of health from yesterday's annual Wellness Visit, Medicarespeak for physical. 

It was definitely good, the cake and the physical. I'm struggling to be nice enough not to reserve the rest of the helpings to myself. 

I'm definitely not giving oxygen to the current apology for a Supreme Court, supreme? as if, draft decision. 

Other than being profoundly glad my State this year enshrined reproductive rights into the State constitution, as a firewall against the current dumpster fire known as the judiciary.

Meanwhile Nancy Pelosi and other Dems, Republicans refusing to make the trip, made a hazardous and timely visit to Zelenskyy in Kyev. Showing up is a big part of being an ally.

As is men speaking up when other men slag off women and make rhetorical speeches about reproduction,  men refusing ordination to a religion which denies it to women, that'll be the day, or anyone speaking up when your immigrant friend isn't being served lunch when you are, at the same table, yes, this happens.   If you don't walk the walk you're not an ally.  Please remember to notice, act, be an ally 

One last note about brave young immigrants, this from today's local obituaries. She died a while back, but this just appeared.


Isn't she great? Someone who brought value!

Happy day everyone!




8 comments:

  1. Congrats and the physical and the dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking chocolate sauce!
    And oh yes, asparagus too. I just bought some yesterday but sadly, from a grocery store, not a farm stand.
    The news becomes more and more frightening. That leak from the Supreme Court scares me to death. This is really happening. Right now. In 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right about the US Supreme Court being a dumpster fire at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asparagus doesn’t get much fresher than that! Chocolate sauce and chocolate cake…yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sign of a good cook/baker is being able to salvage something that didn't work. It looks like you did that and then some! I have a small asparagus plot but it's not even close to showing up yet. I am worried about where we are going, it doesn't look like anyplace good. Maybe some younger Republican women will wake up. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for the clean bill of health! You deserve to celebrate with asparagus and chocolate for sure. Can't wait for asparagus here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The SCOTUS leak gobsmacked me last night, breaking news before bedtime. If it's true (and it seems to be), it's also the end of our judiciary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Freshly picked vegetables are the best and I can just imagine how wonderful that asparagus must be! The Supreme Court is getting more frightening by the day. Our country is going backward!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!