Thursday, May 12, 2022

Stitching ideas and other hopeful thoughts

This week seems to be about medical checkups and defeat by tech. The lab work is perfectly fine, results in one day from testing.  So far so good. The radiology  world needs work.

I had scheduled a bone density scan and mammogram for one visit yesterday. My patient account showed both. Then a little while before I left the house, two rapid fire texts requiring me to start checking in online.

Went to their website, filled out screen after screen of info, including dates I had to look up. Then the site crashed. Went back in and found there's no save function, all to do again.  

No time now, so I noted the messages had said if I couldn't get through the site, come in early and do it in person. Translation: our site is buggy, you're a guinea pig, we mean beta tester.

Did that and found once at the reception desk, that their system had no record of the mammogram appointment. I was already anxious to be sure this one was Medicare- covered, since I'd had diagnostics last year and wondered if that ruled out screening coverage this soon.

One tech refused to call my doctor to check, another overruled her and did call to establish the rx and find out which kind, couldn't reach anyone 

Sooooo I said let's do the bone density test anyway, and the tech held out an iPad with many questions to answer. Tan lettering on a cream background. Tiny type. I explained I couldn't read it, too small, too faint lettering. 

So she sighed, what a nuisance this patient is, and  set up an area where she could read the questions to me for yes no answers. Finally did the bonescan. More questions about exactly what was prescribed. The test itself no problem at all, as usual.

By the time I left, no answer on the mammo. Doctor's nurse called with good lab results,  was exasperated, said she'd definitely sent both Rxs in one message, had now sent it again. So I suppose I call and schedule again.

As to coverage, radiology says ask your doctor, Medicare website says ask your doctor, doctor's office says ask radiology. I'm going with the hope that screening is covered despite the intervening diagnostics. It will be disastrous if I get billed after this, but I hope my interpretation works.

After that the day improved dramatically, with a matinee of The Remains of the Day, which I had seen, or thought I had, many years ago. I found I couldn't remember it at all, so I enjoyed it hugely as a new experience. What acting. Every part brilliantly acted, even the smallest 




Putting up the book first, because I don't like books to be overcome by the movies they inspired. Merchant Ivory movies are always so good. Here the themes of missed connections, lives lived ill-advisedly, late attempts to remedy early judgments, are all so timely.

And, at the library where I'd seen my movie again in solitary splendor, with captions enabled at my request, I picked up this book



It reminded me that I'd planned sashiko stitching on the denim vest I'm making, fortunately, before I attach the lining. 

So I'll draw the designs right after the current sock is done. Then embroider, then attach the lining. Good to get the order right. 

Boro is about patching, making garments not only last, but look beautiful too. They use a lot of indigo dyed fabric, but denim is a close relative in terms of color. And over stitching in sashiko style is a feature.

The layout in the second picture is a hanten jacket. Here's the page explaining what size each piece is, instead of a pattern. 



They say one size fits most. Probably too big for me, I'd guess, and I'd need to adjust the back to accommodate my old curvy spine, a feature of recent years. 

It changes how clothes hang from the shoulders, and I have yet to see a pattern or instruction that allows for this. But once you note this, it's possible to work around it. I'm not planning on a jacket right now, but it's good to have the guidelines anyway.

I was worn out with the various stresses of the day, more than I expected, and the evening drifted by in a haze. I'm still getting used to having less energy than of yore. Fewer spoons.

Happy day everyone! Don't let low energy stop our resistance to bad laws.




16 comments:

  1. That radiology clinic operates as a comedy of errors, it seems. Glad the rest of your day went smoother! I remember the movie as being so desperately sad and buttoned down. The acting was brilliant though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen that movie! So many movies I've never seen.
    Your vest is going to be very cool.
    It makes me furious when medical situations are like that- as if it's not all stressful and anxiety-producing enough without all that confusion. I'm sorry you're having to go through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Medicare has been very good paying for my more frequent mammograms and also ultrasound imaging; I hope that it works out for you.
    Your plans for the vest sound more intriguing all the time! Please take some images of the process to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a rigmarole you went through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time - just whap the techs upside the head with a big stick. That might remind them who pays their salary - you! the patient! the one who is already anxious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, that must be why there's a big Plexi partition between them and the public!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that movie! I watched it several times. All Merchant Ivory films. I'm sorry you got the runaround, and that you weren't treated well. Asking people to be kind goes both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, what a day.

    I've read the book but not seen the film. I must try to watch it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think hospitals and their systems are the same all over the world - trying to say the least. Anything with Anthony Hopkins in it has got to be good. Can't say I've seen that movie but might have to look out for it.

    Loving all your food and garden pics as always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I suddenly have to fill out questionnaires before any office visit, including my signature and copies of my medical cards and driver's license. And that's even for a physical therapy appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rigmarole with a capital R. I'm glad it is over, and you had an otherwise happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The only part of the identity checking I approve of is when they check, again, that you're the right person they're supposed to be drawing blood from, or doing an EKG. That makes tons of sense.
    I don't like seeing them vanish with my driver's license and insurance cards to make copies. I really like to have them in my wallet, not going away.

    Anyway thank you all for the lovely patient solidarity comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You’d need a good movie to forget about that time spent in the medical system. So frustrating here too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Medical test appointments can be such a run-a-round at times. I had the mammo and bone scan about six months ago and someone fed the wrong numbers into the machine for the bone scan causing it to be read incorrectly at first and it required an adjustment of numbers and then reread a second time. All these preventive tests should be covered by medicare but I don't blame you for wanting to be positive they are covered as I am the same way. I hope all turns out well for you. The biggest concern with my bone scan was that I found I have lost even more height. I used to be 5'2" but knew I had lost one inch a few years ago. Well now I am 4'11"! Isn't it great getting old!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear you're getting good reports from your various tests, Liz. Though I'm very sorry you've gotten some unfriendly medical staff to deal with. I've been in a bit of a medical gerbil tube myself. More things upcoming, but so far it's mostly resulting in good things. My hand is definitely going to need some medical attention, I've decided. Trying to figure out the scheduling of being seriously inconvenienced for a month or so while it is immobilized. More about that on my blog at some point, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie, I went from 5'5" to 5'3"! I tower over you!! I always thought that loss of height would mean spinal pain, but in my case, it hasn't at all.

    Becki, good luck with your hand issues. You haven't mentioned it recently, and I hoped it was resolved. Oh well.

    I think the main drawback in my current medical picture is the tech program which is frustrating my medical personnel as much as me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!