Sunday, May 29, 2022

Sunday morning, Memorial Day weekend

Odd that even though it's many years since I worked in jobs where Sunday was the end of the weekend, in fact more of my life, in art and the petcare business, has been seven day working weeks, I still feel sundayish. 

Yesterday I finally got around to making a date nut loaf. I've been thinking about it for years, and finally had fresh dates and walnuts, so I did it.

There's an exciting part where you boil water, dates, sugar and butter then add baking soda. The recipe says move the pan off the heat before adding the soda. You discover that it's because there's a sudden burst of foam, very dramatic, so who knows if you didn't move the pan, the foam might engulf the kitchen.

And, since there's nuts and fruit and wholewheat flour, it's breakfast.  Or, as here

a late night snack. 

Handsome Son, Gary and another friend had made short work of the banana bread, so I once again needed a little something in the house. I did put a couple of slices of this loaf in the freezer for handsome Son's next visit, as an insurance against running out.

And I did manage to knit the second lacy cuff


So I haven't lost the skill after all. And I have plans for more experiments along these lines, to keep sock knitting interesting.

I checked my library for any of Steve's summer reading list, hardly any writers I'd read, reserved a couple of Tana French, and borrowed the nearest Bragg I could, which is this, now ready on my Kindle for my outdoor reading pleasure.


It combines a recommended writer I'd never read, and home cooking as well as memoir, so I can't go far wrong.

Speaking of combining, here's a terrific artist whose paintings are executed on teabags.


This one is doubly domestic, because it's about laundry day. Definitely doubling down.

And let's leave with a bit of hope

Nature flowers even when people do terrible things to each other.  The attacks on the earth as well as the people on the battlefields of WW1 resulted in the poppy fields of Flanders.

Wise nature survives

Good to remember humbly on Memorial Day weekend. Little children in Texas, people in eastern Ukraine, died this week in different battles they never asked for. So many lives have now fallen into before and after. So much grief. Not a time for barbecues and bargains.







16 comments:

  1. I like date loaf too and make one every once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, this should be a time of reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your long weekend. Our Victoria Day weekend got rather spoiled last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Date nut bread sounds terrific.
    As a Southerner I should be more familiar with Rick Bragg. Not sure why I'm not. Let us know what you think.
    I can't imagine painting on a teabag. I wonder how the idea even occurred to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love your art selection today. F has seen tiny ink sketches on teabags but that painting is just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your date nut loaf sounds good.

    I usually worked 7 days a week, four or five days on commission work, two or three on my personal work. Now Sundays tend to be my do nothing days though today I do plan to be creative since yesterday was my do nothing day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had date nut bread in decades! Canned date nut bread used to be a rare treat when I was a child, served warm with cream cheese. I imagine your fresh-baked version is even more wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cream cheese. Hm. Great idea. Maybe I'll make yogurt cheese. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a ray of sunshine in a troubled world, Boud. You always give me a lift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Marie. That's what I hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've lived on a horse farm for 30 years, so weekends mean nothing to me, either. Yes, not a time for bbq and bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  12. By sundayish I didn't mean time off. It means dread of Mondays, back to the workplace, worst of all the workplace which has full staff meetings first thing Monday. Showing little trust that people will show up on time otherwise. Sunday evenings the dread comes down particularly. So you stave it off with something good on television. There's a reason Sunday evenings used to be important to tv networks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum - date nut bread, something I haven't had since I was a kid. Never think to buy dates although I should because I know they're good.
    Painting on tea bags? I simply can't imagine doing anything that small.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good from top to bottom. Date nut loaf, art and more sox.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The date nut loaf sounds wonderful. I used to make it every Christmas but I haven't in years now. I remember seeing teabag art a few years ago but I'd forgotten all about it. The one you have here is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The killing of children puts our anger at politicians in the shade.
    Date loaf looks good. I make a date flapjack which is one of my favourite things ever.
    Teabags?!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!