Monday, May 30, 2022

Thoughtful Memorial Day, first strawberry, the Calgary marathon, food capers

 Yesterday strawberries were in at the farm




And I took the first bite of the year. I learned this pleasure, like a lot of other pleasures, from Handsome Partner. He loved strawberries, and made a ritual of the pure enjoyment of that first bite each year.

His birthday was in June, so I made him strawberry shortcake each year.  We remember him on his birthday rather than the day he died, since that was on Handsome Son's birthday in August.

This morning's breakfast was pita bread stuffed with fruit as it often is. Today it's strawberries. Everything in season.

And since recent storms flattened the flowers, including the sage blossoms, I brought them in as edible cut flowers.



They'll go in the freezer once they fade, for future cooking.

Speaking of which, there's a current exhibit of paintings from the 18th century Mughal era in India, where smells and touch and taste are all part of the experience. 

It's curated by a perfumer, currently involved in creating edible perfume,  and an art curator.
Here, in the last picture, the narcissus, symbolic of desire and the evocation of scent, is in action.




Those paintings are so much more life-filled than I realized, full of sensuous experience.

Crashing back to my kitchen, I used up most of the mushroom mixture I'd made for ravioli, and the roasted vegetables you saw a while back, only I filled the last of the frozen pasty dough with them, along with hot sausage.


And made artisan all looking big pasties.

Then, since the mixtures were now thawed, I needed to use the rest of them up. 


So here goes red and brown lentil and pasta soup, using the rest of the roasted vegetables and the mushroom mix, plus that tomato water I saved from earlier. I knew those pulse foods would come in handy. Sooner than I expected.

But, best for last, my honorary grandie ran the Calgary marathon yesterday, raising a ton of money for cancer research, and a personal best! She sent me a Garmin link to follow her progress in real time




The link came complete with stats including heart rate, and like a true grandma, I checked that hers was raised but not too high!



A big yell of excitement here when she achieved her goal, well, a couple of goals. In recent years she's run marathons and shorter races, getting huge fun out of what seems to me like the impossible! 

Celebrate life with us, while remembering today the people who died in war and who enable us to celebrate life.

Thoughtful and grateful day, along with grieving. The shakuhachi effect.



12 comments:

  1. Yum. Strawberry season is coming. We're probably 2 or 3 weeks of here.
    Congrats to grandie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your honorary granddaughter! I cannot even imagine walking or running a half-marathon, let alone a full one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much life here! Beautiful. I love your sage flowers. Why should anything so pretty be left to decompose outside when it can be brought in for beauty and then for cooking?
    Hurray for your honorary granddaughter! That is quite the achievement.
    Your strawberries and strawberry shortcake story reminds me that when I was a younger mother, I would sometimes make strawberry shortcake for our dinner. That was the whole thing! This was always when the strawberries were freshest. I bet my kids remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your honorary grande did so well! You did it, young woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sage blossoms make great cut flowers. Great that you've come up with a way to use them TWICE! Congrats to your granddaughter. My boss ran a marathon this weekend too, up in Scotland. I've run 10Ks and that's just about all I can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those strawberries are a temptation! Congratulations to your honorary granddaughter for raising money for such a good cause and for running the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to know what type of sage you have, the flowers are very different from mine. I really like them. I have a few strawberry plants that have made a reappearance, they died off 4 years ago!. Congrats to you honorary Grande on a huge accomplishment. Food looks as good as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had this sage for so many years I don't remember the variety. It's just my regular culinary sage. The flowers might help you identify it. It seems to flower every other year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to grandie Heather! Thinking of stepfather whom I knew as Dad, Uncle and cousins who served and my Quakers who tried to make a better world without wars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Running a marathon is the furthest thing from my mind. Just the thought of running with my arthritic knees makes me cringe. Good on HGD (honorary grand daughter) for a great finish.
    Strawberries are a bit away here but this year I sure hope we get some. Last year, for some inexplicable reason, we missed out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A reflective day here too.

    Many cheers for your honorary granddaughter - a wonderful cause and a great accomplishment!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  12. The food industry has ruined strawberries, at least the ones you get in the grocery store, big red hard tasteless and juiceless but hey, they're big and red and don't bruise.

    I plan on a big pasty for dinner tonight.

    I don't personally know anyone who has died in war. I do think of a boy I knew that was drafted to Vietnam and never saw him again. I hope he survived.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!