Friday, May 13, 2022

New clothes for old and Misfits box

Today, before I got up, I was thinking about what to wear, fancied the jacket I'd altered from a sweatshirt, then realized I'd cut it months ago, but not finished the fronts.

So a search for some form of edging ensued, I found this, which a knitting friend tells me is blanket edging satin, works fine for my purpose.

So breakfast was about stitching.




I found I didn't like the top corners of the fronts, so I altered them to work this way, and I like it fine now.


Wore it to my knitting group this afternoon, in fact. I'll see, after I wear it a time or two, if I want to remove the cuffs and edge the sleeves, too, with a narrow band of ribbon.

This is a different project from the denim vest and sashiko stitching, which was yesterday's adventure.

Here's the back (the front will be occupied by pockets with sparkle, no need for more) and the French curves I used to draw around. The pen marks will vanish with heat.


Then I stitched around the shapes, white several-ply thread on the faded denim. It looks subtle and as if it's always been there. I like this effect.




And I really loved working with a hoop again. It's been a while. When I put in the lining, I may run white topstitching in sashiko around the perimeter.  

Food happened, too, fish and chips! 

Cod baked in seasoned panko, roast yellow potato fries, vinegar on. As soon as the curry leaves touched the hot food, the scent was amazing. I also had an amazing burst of energy after this meal. In fact I attribute the sashiko stitching to it.

Today I had another section of cod for lunch, chunked and added to a bowl of curried cauliflower soup, turning it into kind of fish stew, and very good it was.

When I got home from knitting group, fun as always, after returning the orchid to next door and pruning the massive fiddle leaf fig, which was brushing the ceiling, while I was there, my Misfits box arrived.



Just as well, since several items, the salad, blueberries and chocolate chips, were part of the supper I'd planned. To be exact, tuna and chickpea and green salad, heavy fish motif around here, then blueberries and chocolate chips over plain yogurt.

I hope to finish that second sock this weekend, do the finishing, then mail off the current four pairs to Knitting Ministry HQ.

Many marches tomorrow to protest the danger to Roe v Wade. My state has declared we will not work with any demands from non abortion states to penalize anyone coming here from out of state for health care. No extradition, no penalty, no putting people in danger. 

It's ridiculous that a person can be a full citizen in one state and a deprived felon in another for the same actions. People who say the states should decide don't grasp the principle of human rights. Your rights shouldn't depend on your address.

 Fight on, be like Ukraine! Happy day, too. We can do both.



10 comments:

  1. Love the color of the sweatshirt jacket! Thanks for showing progress on the vest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be like the Ukraine will be my new motto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever, who'd of thought to turn a sweatshirt into a jacket! My Misfits comes om Monday, They had eggplant this time. You are right up my alley with food, curried cauliflower soup with cod sounds wonderful. We have a split state legislature so nothing gets done, just like the federal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweatshirt jacket is wonderful! I really do love the stitching on the denim jacket. I like the lighter color stitching on it too. I imagine your neighbor was amazed by the orchid after it spent a spa week with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sewing and stitching...now I'm hungry after seeing your box...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your jacket. That colour is one of my favourites.

    Cod is a favourite in this house. We can’t always get it but always look in the fish market. It will be available soon. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I love the color of that jacket!
    Your hand stitching is so steady and true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool thing to do with a sweatshirt. And, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, rights should not depend on your address. It feels like most of America is in desperate need of mental health counseling from a licensed psychologist, not a social worker with a certificate.

    Love the sweater make over. I have French curves for a yard sale a few years ago. Thank you for showing a use for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. French curves are a friend! You can make great stencils with them, or draw designs for reverse applique, as well as outlines for stitching as I did here. They were originally Handsome Partner's, used for their original purpose, whatever that is, but gradually ended up in the studio.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!