Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Gardening is happening

Yesterday while the cleaners were busy restoring my house to nondusty and washing everything that didn't move, I did the annual gardening shop.

Not at the nursery, too early for tender plants, but at Tarjay, where I'd gone in search of dishwashing brushes, which they didn't have.

Here's the car homeward bound

But the garden supply center was open so I invested in a soaker hose, replacing my homemade one which had done its bit. I've wound it around the potted plant area. Haven't turned on the water yet.

And I picked up seeds. The morning glory and sunflowers will help disguise the fence. I've got them in soak till I plant them tomorrow. And the marigolds and Italian basil are  already planted, using the potting soil I picked up yesterday. I already have a few seeds at home, moringa and name escapes me.


The squirrel issue is especially tense with seeds and new plantings which they dig up and scatter immediately. 

So here's attempt #1,463,876 to baffle them. The upturned crate which is also a patio tea table, can house the two pots. 

Rain and sun can get in, squirrels not so much. Until they get going and can move into the herb area with their friends.

When I'm ready to plant the sunflowers and morning glory, I have another crate ready to go.

I had thought of moving my non-flowering iris, not waiting till Fall, then noticed a couple were flowering. If you squint you can see. 


So I'll hold off in case they've decided to flower this year.

The sage is putting up buds this year. I think it's every other year. 



Again you need to squint a bit.

Last year just foliage, which is fine, since that's what it's for. In a couple of days there's going to be lovely blue/purple blossom.

And, out front, the rescued azalea is fighting off the pachysandra and crowded iris, which will need lifting and moving at some point.


It's red, a color I don't like in the garden, 
because summers are hot enough without adding hot colors. But it was a rescue, and I don't like to refuse it house room because of that. 

I feel the same way with all the dogs who've come into my life, none of them the golden retriever I always wanted.  But I couldn't turn them away. It would be breedist. 

Speaking of animals showing up, as they do


This has been a respite post, from the ever worsening news everywhere.





13 comments:

  1. Hahahahahaha, love that "And God Created Cat" -- all too, too true, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunflowers are a great idea for in front of the fence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a garden full of so many things. I have found that the squirrels will also pull up new seedlings, toss them on the ground and plant a pecan in the pot. Grrrr - drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tigger, a cat, totally agrees. He might get that framed and hung in the kitchen to remind his humans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tigger, you have the right idea. You can remind them also in any day they planned to sleep late, around 4.30 am is good.

    Pam, around here it's acorns. That's why I'm constantly pulling out little oak trees from pots.
    I hope the sunflowers germinate well. They and the morning glory, here an annual, not a pest, might work out well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Planting seeds and watching things grow is respite in a troubled world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your selection of flower seeds. Your already lovely garden will be even lovelier! The words regarding cats are so true. I am awakened by my two each morning requesting their breakfast. I love them and wouldn't trade them for the world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have succumbed and will begin planting soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heavenly Blue are my favorite morning glories! We use them and sunflowers as screeners too, and they're absolutely lovely together. Especially when the goldfinches move in to enjoy the sunflowers. And tiny metallic solitary bees, mid-summer. Hard to imagine, since we woke up to snow yesterday morning and a hard freeze this morning...(but it's all moisture, so we rejoice!).

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a triple threat: cooking, knitting and gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our Targets eliminated their garden centers which made me so angry! I loved those garden centers. I never knew what I would find in there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's not like the previous center, no live plants, just tools and seeds and potting soil. But better than nothing. For plants I'd go to the family run nursery when it opens, now in its fourth generation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our rose bed has been taken over by day lilies which would be okayish if they flowered but I'm not convinced they do. I've said I'll give them this year and then transplant them. But I did some weeding today and will have to to the garden centre to look for some instant colour I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!