Thursday, May 26, 2022

Plans of mice and women, gangin' agley

I'm not exactly Burns' mouse caught in the plowing, more the toad beneath the harrow. 

Anyway, last evening I embarked on the  lace panel for the second sock. And several hours later after many tries and retries, I had found I was in no emotional state to knit lace. Not the day.

As you see, the twizzled up yarn is my witness. So, on the grounds that today is another day, here we go again.


Hope springs eternal, third quotation in there already. It's what my mind does under stress. Three dead white males occupying my mental real estate.

Then I thought, well, I'll make soup. I'm pretty sure I can do that.

Famous last words, I thought, as the knife blade skidded off the squash and into my finger. There followed an interval of trying to assemble one-handed the kit to wrap it up.


And I remembered I have finger cots, latex gizmos you unroll down your finger, which are strongly reminiscent of another safety item applied likewise, though not on your finger. I was thinking maybe I should donate them to a republican pol of my choice.. would be a good fit..


Anyway, I did get the soup on the stove, the trimmings into the stock bag, the squash seeds tossed out for the two baby groundhogs I saw yesterday, and soup simmering nicely, rice to be added at the end, it's precooked, another experiment. The bandage might get in the way of knitting, though. We'll see.

Here's the result


Earlier I had been thinking of these unruly old begonias, and thinking about cutting them back a lot. 


One is already taller than me again, after savage pruning last year. The top branches can start to root in water, and the potted remains will burst out again. I just have to cut it them. Yes.

One of those small tasks that get put off and put off.  You'll notice there's no picture of after the cutting.

Our weary hearts might be helped at this point by Elliott's posting, and Mary Oliver.

All purpose comfort. Have the best day you can manage, everyone. There might be a bit of light in there.





13 comments:

  1. Robbie Burns'"To A Mouse" is one of my favourite poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard not to feel sad these days n 5is sad world of violence against so many innocents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did give me a moment of smiles with the finger cover reference! Quite appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soup looks quite comforting. A couple of butternut squash are ripening in the garden and I am looking forward to soup of my own in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! So sorry about your finger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang Boud. I'm sort of in a funky mood myself but at least I'm not unraveling knitting or cutting my finger. But I am mulling over changing some of the work on the box I did yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your comment about how some Republican men could use a finger cot as a condom (I think that's what you meant?) made my profane soul so happy.
    Seeing that you've cut your finger made me not happy. It may well affect your knitting. Argghhh.
    Today, here, has been crazy and busy with thunderstorms off and on all day and two men here cleaning the outside of my house. I've been mopping up water that gets inside, washing towels I use for the mopping, along with rugs that got wet and cleaning things before I rehang them on porches. It's been good to stay busy but it's also just made me feel a little more out-of-whack.
    As for comfort food- last night I made a tuna casserole. It was beyond perfect for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed so loud over your finger cots for Republican men that folks came funning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It might not have been the day you wished for but you captured beauty in it anyway. It's tough to cut a plant just because it is 'leggy' ehen you have enjoyed all its forms as its growth took it there. When did the poor thing cross the line you ask yourself, then one day you realize it's not just crossed the line but crossed the park and then it seems like an act of mercy and gets done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about your finger. I hope it heals quickly. I enjoyed your Republican reference as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was it like my hair, when I cut my fringe myself?

    There are worse things to have in your head than dead white males.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some days are like that and no amount of attempts to change it seem to matter. My mother always said those were the days she 'should have stood in bed' and I suppose there's some truth in that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!