Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Sad, but grateful to allies

Sad today, feeling betrayed, and besieged by the SCOTUS leap back to the world of my youth, when friends died of desperate abortions.

First, a shout out to allies Franklin Habit and Steve Reed. I knew we could count on you. You didn't fail us.

Then Gladstone Mog sums up the day and the mood

It's May the Fourth, for those needing Star Wars footnotes.

And on the lifelong belief that even the worst days have glimpses of joy, here's beautiful steamed asparagus with the lemon butter sauce at the ready, with chicken and a green salad.


And a new sock with a new design. This is a tube sock with a spiral variation. 


After a lot of arithmetic and testing, I settled on this, five knit, three purl repeat over an odd number of stitches. The odd number and the even repeat number cause the spiralling to happen. 

This yarn is very soft and grainy in appearance, so stitch definition is hard to come by, but seems to be working here. And it's a lot easier to keep track of  than the previous six knit two purl variation I did in earlier versions.

Non knitters: you can wake up now. 

Today's one foot in front of the other. This afternoon there's a a fun interval, a Downton Abbey movie at the library. So I'll do that. 

Meanwhile to everyone in the world under siege one way or another, try to be like Ukraine.


Fight back the forces of darkness at home and abroad.

Happy day despite all, everyone. We won't let ignorance and cruelty win. 


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out. I wish it came under happier circumstances! "May the Fourth" of our anger lead the voters to address this appalling injustice at the ballot box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see there is another Downton movie coming to theatres soon. Yay!

    The fight for women is far from over. Wealthy women will always have choices. It’s the rest of us I fear for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had your optimism. I am overwhelmed with the state of things here and abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time to put on the warpaint for renewed effort in the culture wars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this becomes their final decision I imagine there will be a lot of population redistribution because those states that ban abortion will not stop there. And it will be the educated and those with the wherewithal that will leave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the knitting pattern, Liz. I finally realized I have more fun making patterns than I do finishing anything. =)

    It does seem that we are always in a push-me/pull-you struggle with people who want to tell us what to do with our bodies when it's none of their damn business. We had to chain ourselves to fences, just to be able to vote, and I seriously suspect that most women voted their own way, and smiled sweetly and lied when their husbands asked which way they voted...and here we are again, caught in the middle.

    Love the cat. That's a serious critter up there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am doing mitts at present - straight up stocking stitch, she said, snickering. I just found an error, too. Why mitts in May? I am putting them away for the knitting tree our grocery store runs in early winter.
    I, like you, am horrified by the abortion mess. I remember when abortion was illegal in Ontario. I remember a friend who died. My heart is with the young women out on the street protesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have optimism. I have no doubt this will be the decision. They are going to do as much damage as they can. Our only hope is to get as many people voting as possible, we need a large majority in the Senate to override the Manchins. I don't knit but I enjoy seeing what you knit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s appalling. I don’t want to say anything else. Others can say it better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One foot in front of the other. Do voting turnout things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exactly what I've been doing for the last four years. Not stopping now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's frustrating that we're going back to a time when women had no control of their bodies. I worry for my granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!