Friday, May 20, 2022

The return of the swallows and other good signs

This week I saw the first swallows of the year, always a joyful moment. They're back! They flew all that way, and they're back. 

Where I live they have plenty of undisturbed places to return to and nest, including the condo development where the building design is perfect, sheltered spots, close to the marsh, open water, endless supply of insects for feeding young, very desirable. And we don't have any people trying to block entryways, which happens elsewhere.

On that note, the current book group selection is

As brilliantly written as H is for Hawk, about falconry, which even persuaded me to suspend my total dislike of harnessing the lives of wild birds to serve people.

This one is a series of essays, all separate, all, as far as I've got, illuminating and encouraging, even while she's squarely facing up to the extinction we have caused. 

There's still such a lot to love and defend.  She talks about one form of observation that any of us can try -- binoculars trained on the full moon. You'd be amazed at how many birds, bats and butterflies as well as other insects cross your small visual field. Best about now when a lot of spring migration is in progress, but you can do it any time there's a clear full moon. I did it years ago and couldn't believe the extent of bird activity when I had assumed they were sleeping.

I hugely recommend her, as a writer as well as a defender of nature. She understands that the planet isn't ours. We're newcomers flailing about, damaging what we don't understand. She helps us understand. 

Come to think of it, it would be good to read or revisit Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer. That's another great, warm account of caring for our surroundings, by a native American who's a scholar, teacher and great writer.

I came upon Vespers when I was halfway through No One's Talking About This. It's a wild headlong dash, Twitter style through many fragmented ideas, jokes, some very funny and I'm not quoting them here, and is as mentally exhausting as following all the tangents on Twitter at once. 

I had not yet got to the second half where a real life tragedy strikes the narrator's family. And the book had so paled in the company of Vesper Flights, that I couldn't give it any more time and energy. 

This happens now and then when you read as much as I do. Some books just don't hold up once the bigs appear. But I'd still recommend it. Just not when you're reading something which leaves it in the dust.

And here's the first iris in my front yard. 

A bicolor bearded iris, it's a descendant of a friend's iris collection which were originally planted by her grandmother on her NJ farm about 80 years ago. I have quite a few out there, and have donated roots to neighbors and freecyclers. 

And, from west Yorkshire, yesterday's picture of daisies in full flight.

Meanwhile, speaking of mental health, which we were indirectly, I thought I'd like to learn a new to me knitting stitch. I've been doing all color work, stripes, blocks, on the Ministry Socks, and thought, since I'm getting down to quite a bit of  dull beigey yarn, maybe a stitch variety might be good. It's soft, a mix of wool and cotton, probably nice to wear but dull to knit.

So while this 

was in progress, I took a break to learn this


It's called brioche stitch and should come with a surgeon general's mental health warning. I went to YouTube and found numerous videos, mostly dogmatic, often contradicting one another, none using dpns, double pointed needles, my tools of choice. 

Mostly they worked the stitch flat, with a couple of exceptions, people using a circular needle to make much bigger items than socks. And none of them worked slowly enough with good enough focus to actually follow the movement. I even reduced playback speed to 50%, just blurred it more.

Soooo, many false starts and screams of annoyance later, I thought I'd start a sock flat, on straight needles, then once the stitch pattern was established, transfer it to dpns. That would leave a slit where the transfer happened,  but it could easily be closed when I did the finishing. 

And found that the pattern doesn't lend itself to moving needle to needle. This is partly because yarn overs are a constant feature. Knitters will instantly see the problem here.  Nonknitters can just take my word on it.

In fact, chaos quickly ensued, and I went back to starting again for the 19,574th time, and here's where I am


It's a lovely comfy stitch to snug around your legs, like a rib on steroids, so the current plan is to knit flat, transfer to dpns when I reach the heel, and resume plain knitting for the rest of the sock.

I can make an unobtrusive join up the back of the leg, when I'm doing the finishing. I'll do a shortrow heel and toe, but in the reverse order from the toe up approach. And if this sounds complicated, it's nothing to what I went through getting to here. Whoever said knitting was relaxing??

And then there's two-color brioche but I'm not going there.

We're expecting temps suddenly in the high 90s f this weekend, so I'm wondering how to protect my seedlings from heatstroke. Maybe a sheet thrown over for shade.  We'll see.

Meanwhile happy Friday. Stay cool, fight on!



13 comments:

  1. I love bearded iris. It's the flower we gathered by the armsfull when I was a child, to take to the cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about brioche knitting, but I love brioche buns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in Dallas this week and the swallows are here, nesting under the bridges - so entertaining to watch. You know I'm not a knitter (or a crocheter), but that brioche looks lovely. Can't wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think anyone who tries brioche stitch oughta be rewarded with brioche buns, Debra. Mine went to chaos again..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This evening we were sitting on some friends' patio and as the sun began to set I was enjoying all the many birds that were swooping here and there. Most were too far away to identify, but your post caused me look up swallows and I wonder now if some we saw zipping around were that. Funny birds to watch (in the videos I came up across).

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flight pattern of swallows is the spotting mark. Once you're familiar with it, you can identify them just by movement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am reminded of some of Kingsolver’s novels with an ecological theme, Prodigal Summer comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The swallows are here as well. I’ve seen them for a couple of weeks now, especially the tree swallows. There are some in our neighbourhood I’ve seen for the first time.

    Yesterday we were in a provincial park along the coast and watched bank swallows. I even managed a few photos. Later we went to another favourite area and the tree swallows were active there, the first time we’d seen them in that location.

    Swallows of any type are fascinating birds. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo for sticking with it!
    Interesting, the knitting process could be an exercise in self control for folks that feel frustration. Making socks in any pattern would be sufficient to do that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tree swallows are so distinctive with those brilliant white shirt fronts. We get them and barnswallows.

    AC, yes, Kingsolver is in tune with the theme, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. H is for Hawk has been sitting by my bed for ages and ages. I keep trying and haven't yet managed to find the flow of it for me. I know exactly what you mean about a book that pales in comparison to the point you can't enjoy it. I was discussing two books last night with my husband- one by my beloved Florida writer MK Rawlings and another a very well regarded book about Florida history. Fiction but historical. I did manage to read the second (A Land Remembered) but comparing the writing of the two made the second difficult for me to stomach. I am picky. I will try H is for Hawk again.
    I can't imagine trying to figure out that style of knitting. You are a wool wizard, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are some two colour brioche tutorials on Ravelry - do you use ravelry?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I no longer can safely use Ravelry, after years of being active there, since they suddenly changed the design a couple of years ago. It now causes migraine in minutes, for many people including me. Many many pleas to fix it using legal safety protocols went unheard. Sad story.

    However I can safely access ideas and tutorials elsewhere safely, so that's fine. There's always a workaround!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!