Thursday, May 5, 2022

Respite day

Yesterday was a day of respite. It's not wise to go on indefinitely in a state of anger and outrage. I'm doing what I can to fight back at the current crisis, and I needed a break.

The library was showing a Downton Abbey movie, the one about the royal visit. 





Just a lovely afternoon, the only person there, in solitary splendor, I adjusted the controls to suit myself!  Everyone at Downton gets their heart's desire, a great escape from the crushing news.

Then, back home, found this treat in the mail


A surprise from she knows who she is, thank you. A picture book of projects and ideas, the kind of thing you pore over with a cup of tea, just perfect timing.

You do have to take care of yourself in order to take care of others. If you need a rest from activism, I hope you take it. And if you haven't done anything practical yet to fight back, I hope you will, starting now. 

Donate to the causes in the fight, ACLU, local activists, Dame magazine, woman run reporting without corporate donors, MoveOn, Common Cause, Planned Parenthood, plenty of people and organizations can use your help. 

If you're a marcher, plenty of opportunities there right now. Support candidates in the midterms who are on the right side of history. Register people to vote. And vote!

Yes, I am doing almost all of these things, in case you wondered. Have been for years.

We fight on, then take a rest, then fight on. But let's remember that we can find a bit of joy in even the darkest time. Peace, everyone.



14 comments:

  1. Have done and will do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting so many of the people who fight against losing their freedoms when they are asked to wear a mask…

    Taking in Downton Abby was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have links for any of those campaigns?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger doesn't permit live links in comments, security precaution, but the organizations all have a vigorous web presence. You can Google for details. And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right about all of these things. It is time. Past time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once in a while we all have to let the world go. Change the things we can, accept what we can't, move on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a shame that you were the only person at the movie -- although good for you! No annoying talkers or popcorn-crunchers! We donate to the ACLU and Planned Parenthood every year. (As well as the Southern Poverty Law Center.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never watched the Downton Abbey series, but I did see that movie. I know two young women who won a trip to England as part of the promotion of that movie when it first came out. I believe it included a visit to where it was filmed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Along with the rest of the world, I loved Downton, but I haven’t seen the movie. I also tried to re-watch Downton but quickly gave up. It was a see-once series IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, please do take care of yourself! Your mind and heart are in the right place without a doubt but extended stress will make you sick and not solve any of the issues. Believe it or not I have not watched any of Downton Abby. I need to start it at the beginning but there is so much to see now! Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes to all you said, including the need for respite, then picking oneself up and carrying on.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed DA, though I confess to mostly binge watching it on NetFlix.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Got to love Downton Abbey. Dame Maggie Smith is always a favourite. Lovely looking book that one too. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never seen a single episode or movie of Downton Abbey.

    Maybe Blogger doesn't permit links in comments but the spammers have certainly figured out how to do so.

    Don't give up, don't give in, do what you can, and vote.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!