Thursday, May 19, 2022

Reading, rea-ding, Gosford Park and other things

Yesterday's mammogram went okay, no technical hitches, pinchier than usual, and the reports as far as I can follow them seem okay. 

In the course of their technical updating, the radiology people have gone so transparent that, instead of the usual easy to read paper letter saying dear patient you're fine, the new online portal, they're all portal mad in the medic world, directs me to open the electronic letter. 

This is the letter that also goes to my doctor, full of technical terms and bet-hedging, and is pretty much above my pay grade. I did see the word benign here and there, so I think all's well. And the voicemail from the radiology folks , a high-speed gabble about next year, may also be good news. My own doctor's nurse will call and tell me intelligibly, I expect. Then there will be a letter in the mail.

While I was waiting in my little gown, mercifully nearer my size than last time, when I was given one which I had to hold up on my shoulders, made for a much bigger person, I read this.


By the end of it, I felt like an irritable teenager told to have a good day - "don't tell me what to do! You're not the boss of me!"

The afternoon at the movies was great. GP was as good as ever, and I saw more things in it than before.




I'd forgotten how old it was, too. Great antidote to disturbed nights and body squashing. 

The blogistas who predicted good sleep were so right. Hours and hours, lovely. I woke at six, opened the window to soft rain and birds carolling away. Life's definitely good.

And here's a reading line of thought. Came up earlier today, Josie George, brilliant writer, saying it would be great for her if she could get it everywhere, to assist with her visual reading issues. 

Quite a few people joined in a discussion about the relative usefulness of bolding syllables as a reading assist. To me, a lifelong fast and comprehending reader, the right hand passage was like having someone shouting at me and interrupting my thinking.

But to a lot of people with reading difficulties, it was great, and they were eager to find out where to get it and how to apply it.

Then someone else offered this

This was a terrible idea for folks with synaesthesia, because color carries all kinds of information different from the words, but again other people found it helpful to delineate phrases rather than individual words.

And there were explainers about why the bolding and coloring are obstacles to fast readers


A saccade is a group of simultaneously perceived letters or symbols, and it just means those readers grasp large pieces of text all at once, not bit by bit. 

Your humble blog writer learned to meaningfully grasp entire paragraphs in one pass,  in her final Uni year, when a working knowledge of over three hundred textbooks in both English and French was required to have a hope in the final exams, on which the entire degree depended. 

Anyway, back to now. And here's a new one on me. 

I read this easily at close to normal speed. Turns out that as long as you have first and last letters of the word, the order of letters inside the word isn't as important as you might think. Which I guess is why typos don't  destroy meaning, though they annoy people no end, particularly neat people.

What do you think? This is supposed to be about comprehension rather than speed, though the assist for one reader may completely trip up another.

It's not meant to be taken, in here, anyway, too seriously. Judgment free blogzone, we are. But I'd like to know your experience of these approaches all the same.

Happy day everyone. The swallows arrived back this week, swooping and spiralling and helping us with the mosquito population, lovely little friends. Swallows, not mozzies.

The new seedlings are big enough to see from the second floor  bedroom window now. It's all just very good. And I'm going to learn a new knitting stitch today.

Photo by AC







9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you did indeed sleep well and yes- if they don't want to see you for another year at the radiology department, you're good!
    I think it's so interesting that they are finally coming up with some good ideas for people with reading disabilities. My youngest daughter has one, my husband too. My daughter had a wonderful, caring teacher who helped her tremendously and she made it through nursing school so she has certainly learned to deal with it. I noticed though, when she was just really learning to read, that she could read upside down as well as right side up which led me to believe that the skills she had acquired could be applied either way which shed a little more light on the situation for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read very quickly and don't like things getting in the way, like colors, bolding, italicizing, etc. Just let me get on with it. And please put 2 spaces after the period at the end of a sentence. That is how my eyes were taught and it is too late now to change! But it is interesting that other things work better for other people. Reading has brought me so much pleasure, in part because it has been easy for me. I think it is wonderful that there are things that can make reading easier for those who find it difficult and I hope access becomes widespread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't seem to read as fast these days as I once did and don't enjoy reading like I once did. I'd seen that stuff about first and last letters somewhere years ago - perfectly readable to me, but I admit to fast reading by word shape, so while messed up letters is comprehensible the shapes are all wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned to read so long ago and so unassisted that I just do it naturally. Over the years I have seen so many varieties of word presentation. My brother was dyslexic, his first son also. My mother taught both of them to read; I have no idea how. I've always been amused by those first and last letter words and the middle mixed or eliminated. That's how we read; not every letter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good reminder that we are all different, and that what works for one may not for another. Both the bionic and the beeline reading were uncomfortable to me; I'm sure I could cope with either if I had to, but plain old print and a bright light work best for this brain. If they're uncomfortable to me, but a breakthrough for other minds, I can understand a bit how difficult plain print could be for brains wired in a different way. Fascinating!

    And glad you had a restful night! May tonight be as well.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every doctor I have uses those online portals and some of them actually do what they are supposed to do. I'm glad all went well with your mammogram. I've seen quite a few of those "I can read it! Can you?" and I never have trouble reading it, but it does seem to be an unnecessary strain on my eyes. Happy Friday Boud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the mammogram went OK and (apparently) the news is good. I think I am just too entrenched to try different methods of reading! I like it the old-fashioned way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a particularly fast reader. I read for entertainment or escape and will reread passages that I find especially enjoyable. I don't have trouble reading and could read the garbled passage easily though I did have to pause on 'aulacity' which I finally understood as 'actually' though it's missing an 'l'. My husband though is a fast reader.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy weekend, I am glad the mammo was good. I read mostly with Kindle from which I can also read library books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!